Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ok, wots the deal with the tiny refridgerators?!?!?!  (Read 6854 times)

Re: ok, wots the deal with the tiny refridgerators?!?!?!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2004, 09:40:05 AM »
Both my sisters in the US have a side by side fridge/freezer with the water-ice thing.  My Mom has a mammoth old 80's fridge and a giant freezer in her garage. 
I have a normal UK fridge but without the freezer on top-thus giving me an extra foot and a half of counter space.  I have a chest freezer in my laundry room that I couldn't live without. 

• Garden Butterflies
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2004, 09:41:45 AM »
small fridges....errrr!  like with lola, I usually have a lot of condiments that take up the space...  but, I have done my best to get use to our fridge here... Tom was very proud of buying this little thing, thinking to himself how big it was...I have made it an art at stacking and storing foods and veggies...  Which Tom tried to convince me that veggies should never be in the fridge....  well after testing his theory and losing a lot of salad mixings real quick...I have barred him from fridge duty and taken over completely...  it works well and I am now use to it...except when having a party I panic... definitely could not deal with this size if there were more than 2 of us in our little family.

lots of freezer space though...we have the bottom half of fridge and a small stand alone one... but I have never been big on freezing a lot...normally just for ice, ice cream, a few meats and maybe a bag of chips... prefer fresh veggies and food... we have this tiny little ice cube tray and that is it...LOL! I will definitely be looking for these bags you all are talking about.
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2004, 10:09:30 AM »
A recent article from the Guardian: The Big Chill

I think you fill the space you have, whether it's an apartment or a fridge. My experience with fridges in the United States is that yes, they're bigger, and they're crammed full with past-its-use-by-date leftovers. Tupperware-tastic  ;)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2004, 10:20:43 AM »

I think you fill the space you have, whether it's an apartment or a fridge. My experience with fridges in the United States is that yes, they're bigger, and they're crammed full with past-its-use-by-date leftovers. Tupperware-tastic  ;)

Bingo!

We have tonnes of condiments/sauces as well - but it's all about organisational skills!  ;D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2004, 10:41:31 AM »
Well, right now we just have a small under the counter model - hence the issue with a shelf designated for condiments and such. That only leaves me 2 other shelves and the veg drawer. And we do prefer to do a weekly shop as we spend less money than making a trip on a more frequent basis. We do now have a small chest freezer in the garage in which I only keep ice (with American ice cube trays), portions of meat, some frozen veg, chips and a few other bits. It's only half full. But I have adjusted and don't think I would fill a big American style freezer just because I can. I'd just be happy I didn't have to rearrange and unpack the whole fridge just to find something!  :)

I'm on cloud nine though because we are inheriting a small fridge in our new place so we'll have 2 small ones. We'll keep one in the garage or pantry that will be just for drinks, condiments, and tall things (wine and my American iced tea jug!!). I can't wait!  ;D
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2004, 10:50:18 AM »
The tiny fridges definitely take some getting used to (and we keep a lot of condiments, etc. as well) but it is possible. I don't really even think about it anymore unless we're having a dinner party and I'm trying to cook some stuff ahead - 'cause there really isn't room for that sort of thing. And chilling more than one bottle of wine at a time can be problematic too (that's one reason we drink more red! LOL) One suggestion is to get a stand-alone freezer. We have a freezer that's the same size as our tiny fridge and so when I go shopping, I just throw most of the meat in there - granted, you have to learn to think ahead about dinner to thaw out what you want, but it does help with space!  :D

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2004, 11:31:05 AM »
I can have room for the big fridge but DH wont get one til the other breaks.... anyone know how to mysteriously break a fridge???

Not totally sure about the fridge, but I have successfully broken my old freezer, dryer, etc. (the freezer I poked a tiny hole whilst trying to defrost it- I'd never had one that didnt' defrost itself). The fridge died an overdue death and in its place, I was able to place a 10 cu.ft. fridge.

About a year ago (after moving into the new house), I was joking that when this fridge broke, I wanted a side-by-side one. Mind you, I NEVER owned one in the states but always thought it would be nice, especially since I have 3 grown stepsons (their friends too) still living at home.  A couple of weeks ago, DH surprised me with one!! Such a good deal too!

Interesting observation tho- I've kept bags of ice for years in the freezer for me and my iced drinks, but since getting the fridge with ice/water in the door, the ice machine can't keep it churned out fast enough!!!!!!!! Seems if its convenient, my Brits are up to the challenge!

Now if only they'd leave enough for me! lol

PS- I have a 10 cu. ft. fridge to sell now if anyone wants one :) If not, it will become the beer/coke fridge in the garage.

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2004, 11:59:54 AM »
And I'm betting you'd rather have a small fridge that needs regular stocking than a mammoth "American-style" fridge that takes up half your kitchen floor space (if you can even get it into your house!).

LOL...the little fridge with matching freezer stacked on top takes up almost half the kitchen space anyway! (in a 2-bedroom, middle of the row, terraced home!)

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2004, 01:16:47 PM »

actually, we are not left over people...and I never was one...once a week before going shopping...anything that has been in the fridge for that week and not used up either gets placed in the front to be used in the next couple days...or tossed out from not looking to appetizing anymore... and always keep an open box of baking soda in the fridge for smell security... 

I personally like larger fridges...not to hide tupperware containers...but to know that I have the space when I wish to entertain.
depths of our soul!

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2004, 06:16:45 PM »
I'm in the US and I did have a nice size side by side refrigerator/freezer up until a couple years ago (the ex has it now >:() and we never kept it stuffed full. It was just nice to be able to get to things without having to unpack the entire contents of the fridge or freezer to do it. Now I have an average US apartment sized fridge with the little freezer on top (no shelves) that doesn't hold much and it's a pain when you need something out and everything else falls out while you're trying to get it. I agree that you can adjust to using whatever size you have but it doesn't necessarily mean you will love it. :P

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2004, 06:51:29 PM »
I grew up with mammoth fridges with ice/water/diamonds, etc., in the door. 

DIAMONDS?!   ;D

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2004, 08:59:26 PM »
I found that I can make more room in the fridge by taking the things OUT that my DF likes to keep in it--things like potatoes, apples, bannanas, bread, catsup, mustard and others...I know these things are fine in the fridge, but I feel that as they are also fine in a "cool" cupbard, I'd rather use the precious fridge space for milk, eggs and cheese.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2004, 10:08:07 PM »
Okay.. so I don't have a US sized fridge... still it's a skinner model.  About 6ft or a little more... freezer on the bottom and has a cute little compartment with built in ice cube trays that you apparently spin out with a little circular knob..... I am still waiting to see that one work.  Still it's a Samsung and nice.  It actually arrives tomorrow with our new cooker.    ;D

I used to be a stuff everything in the fridge and find fuzzy things type gal, and given that this fridge is still a decent size I will still have some of it I am sure.  One thing I have found is that with it being cooler here things like jams and such can go into a cool cupboard whereas in GA EVERYTHING went into the fridge even bread as to leave it out any time but dead of winter meant mold or other funny things sprouting.

Anyways.. still not sure what I think of it all, but will let you know once I am done playing with it for a week or so. 

Still I had a smaller one is Spain and adapted so I guess I will do the same......  still want LisaE's fridge one day.... ;D
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2004, 08:30:47 AM »
i think we all would love to have Lisa's fridge someday... ;D
depths of our soul!

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2004, 08:45:06 AM »
You could fit my entire kitchen in LisaE's fridge.  LisaE owns the king of fridges.   :)  The ultimate fridge. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab