Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dual National US & EU (Italian) moving to UK in June  (Read 402 times)

• Liked: 0
Dual National US & EU (Italian) moving to UK in June
« on: March 19, 2006, 09:02:13 PM »
Hi everyone!

I have a question regarding my entry into the UK. I am dual national holding both a US and EU (Italian Passport). I have never lived outside of the US but recently acquired an Italian passport as my father is an Italian citizen. I am planning on relocating to the UK in June and wanted to know if there is anything that needs to be done before my move. Do I need to inform the Home Office of my impending move? Will I raise any red flags with the IO on my arrival?  In the past I always used my US passport to enter into UK will that be a concern? On my return visits back to the US, I understand that I should enter the US with my US passport will it raise any red flags that I am living abroad without UK visa stamp in my passport? Has anyone dealt with this situation before?

Thanks for all your help.

Re: Dual National US & EU (Italian) moving to UK in June
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 09:30:12 PM »
Upon arrival at Heathrow, or where ever you land, go through the EU line waving your Italian passport and that's that. 

As long as you are exercising treaty rights in the UK, there is no problem.  If you do NOT exercise treaty rights there are some implications, but that's rare.

• Chronicles of Squidgyboo
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 09:36:16 PM »
Yep what Garry said!  I have US and EU (Portuguese, from my parents) nationality and that was pretty much it.  If you want to work in the UK you need a National Insurance Number.  You can't get one of those until you have a job.  I took my offer letter to the jobcentre and then began the paperwork.  Didn't take any time at all.

I returned to the US on my US passport, not a problem at all.  Although I have lost my US passport and the last 2 times I entered the US on my Portuguese passport I was hassled by immigration because I don't need a visa to get into the US as I am a US citizen.  It's really a hassle so the best thing to do is use your US passport whenever you're travelling back into the US.  I did get into the US but after lots of questions!!  The first time I thought they weren't going to let me back into the US.  I have applied for a replacement passport which should sort that out. 

I use my Portuguese passport whenever I am travelling within the EU, it's just easier!  Having dual US/EU nationality is a godsend!!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 09:45:37 PM by Lindyloo »
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

Friendship with oneself is all-important, because without it one cannot be friends with anyone else in the world. Eleanor Roosevelt

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 12:14:39 PM »
I will soon hold an Italian passport as well as my US passport.  The US government won't even know that you have Italian citizenship.  When you're in the US, going in or out, you show your US passport.  Then when you are in the UK, you show your Italian passport.  You're entitled to everything that a citizen of the EU is entitled to, even if you've never lived in Italy.   :)
Bored

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab