Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Nutters who shoot grey squirrels  (Read 5165 times)

• US citizen & UK citizen partner of 12 yrs
    • Portable Weirdness
  • Liked: 60
Re: Nutters who shoot grey squirrels
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2017, 02:44:34 PM »

The Scorpion King (and The Mummy Returns), Standing Tall, He voiced Maui in Moana.  Ha, he's in the new Baywatch movie coming out.

Johnson was adorable and hilarious in Moana - "You're Welcome" is an alpha earworm. I tend to respect anybody who is comfortable busting his own tropes, and The Rock is good at making fun of himself  ;0)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:54:56 PM by sillybadger »
"Human" is a noun. "Black", "White", "Asian", "Latino", "Indigenous", "Male", "Female", "GLBT", "Straight", "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim", "Buddhist", "Hindu", "Pagan", "Conservative", "Liberal", are all adjectives.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2017, 04:30:29 PM »
Competition within an established ecosystem can create problems other than just undermining the immediate competitive species, but it can also create benefits if you're lucky. Between grays and pigeons, urbanizing raptors have less competition for lunch options, which can help bring low population numbers back.

Culling alone rarely works for any species that reproduces as easily and often as anything in the Rodentia taxon. Conservationists are more likely to have greater success combating Squirrel parapoxvirus by finding a way to wipe out the virus so that reds don't get it in the first place, and propping competition with more aggro grays by offsetting reds mortality numbers with captive breed-for-release and strategic food availability.

Need to see if I can find any studies on food availability and behavior with UK grays and reds. With the grays I raise as rescue/rehabs here, I notice that the more food and dray options I make available, the less fighting and aggression displays I see. That's not unusual for a lot of animals; when there's food and resource security, they have less reason to waste energy on fighting for primary access to them. I can keep opossum and raccoons from stealing the squirrel food by putting up a barrier with an entrance too small for them that will allow the squirrels. It'd be a much trickier difference in sizes, but I'd like to try the same thing with reds. One more project to add to my UK species Bucket List  ;0)

Holy Cow Silly Badger, I had no idea you knew so much about squirrels !  And such big words for a North Carolinian!   Even better that it seems like you agree with me that nobody is going to kill their way to a  red squirrels repopulation.  And that woman is creepy. 

By the way, if you live close to Poole, you can go to the National Trust island and see some brown squirrels.

• Portable Weirdness
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2017, 05:13:52 PM »
And such big words for a North Carolinian!

Frakk all, Twinklenuts, do you amble around tossing off "cheerio"s, "pip-pip"s, and "guv'ner"s too? (quizzically postulates something about waking up confused and sticky dressed like Elvis in a bar dumpster in Tijuana for $45 and a case of Modelo)  ;0P
"Human" is a noun. "Black", "White", "Asian", "Latino", "Indigenous", "Male", "Female", "GLBT", "Straight", "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim", "Buddhist", "Hindu", "Pagan", "Conservative", "Liberal", are all adjectives.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2017, 05:58:45 PM »
They've also found that introducing pine Martin's lowers the grey population because they eat them and not the reds. ☺
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2017, 06:17:08 PM »

• Liked: 424
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2017, 08:47:30 PM »

(nods) I get what you mean; I have relatives and friends who hunt for food (where a bunch of my deer bone for carving comes from), and then there are the relatives and acquaintance that hunt because they enjoy killing something. The former acts with a measure of respect and balance; the latter are some creepy ass buggers that I don't turn my back on.

You carve deer bone? I'm a bit of a sculptor.....care to share?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Portable Weirdness
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2017, 11:20:51 PM »
They've also found that introducing pine Martin's lowers the grey population because they eat them and not the reds. ☺

PINE MARTINS ARE FABULOUS!!!! Also on Species Bucket List, along with European badgers, red kites, muntjac, and a handful of critters I can't work with here because officials would rather just assume everything has rabies than do anything productive  ;0)

• Portable Weirdness
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2017, 11:21:55 PM »

• Portable Weirdness
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2017, 12:22:34 AM »
You carve deer bone? I'm a bit of a sculptor.....care to share?

Love to see your stuff, do you have it posted anywhere?

I have a few bone and wood things up on my website and in my Twitter photos  (linked in the profile sidebar thinger), but some of the better stuff is on a fubared HD that we're trying to recover data from or waiting for me to shop the raw footage for posting. If you want to see some more message me an email addy and I'll be flattered to send pics ;0)

• Liked: 533
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2017, 08:21:53 AM »
I would think carving bone would be just about the most ancient of technologies/arts.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2017, 08:22:54 AM »

I have a few bone and wood things up on my website and in my Twitter photos  (linked in the profile sidebar thinger),

The links don't work for me.

• Liked: 424
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2017, 08:32:14 AM »
I can't get em to work either. I may have a photo or two of some of my carving, I am also a flint knapper....

« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2017, 08:58:22 AM »
PINE MARTINS ARE FABULOUS!!!! Also on Species Bucket List, along with European badgers, red kites, muntjac, and a handful of critters I can't work with here because officials would rather just assume everything has rabies than do anything productive  ;0)

They had a family on springwatch this year. They're adorable! I know they're up in Scotland, one of the locations for self cater holiday homes I used to work for had a cabin that had them visiting frequently... I think they're reintroducing the Scottish ones down here. 🙂
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2017, 09:02:22 AM »
I can't get em to work either. I may have a photo or two of some of my carving, I am also a flint knapper....

I think we need an artwork thread! I want to see all the cool things you guys have done! I've got a few I'd share. I loved ceramics back in school/uni.

• Portable Weirdness
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2017, 02:55:08 PM »
I would think carving bone would be just about the most ancient of technologies/arts.

Third or fourth oldest profession?  ;0)

Neolithic/Iron/Bronze Age are kinda my favorite periods of history - another thing I'm looking forward to about being in the UK. I stand in awe of the work people accomplished just using bone, antler, and flint tools.

It's also an honoring thing. Cervids, Bovines, and other ungulates have kept us in food, clothing, shelter, tools, and totemic mythos for all of our known history. Without them, we'd be nada. We'd be nada without a lot of other animals too, but those are the bulk of the bone I get hold of ;0)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab