Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My girlfriend is American I am British  (Read 1048 times)

• Liked: 0
My girlfriend is American I am British
« on: May 25, 2006, 09:38:25 PM »
Hi there

Sorry if this isn't the correct place to post.

Me and my American girlfriend had just got engaged. She has gone back to Phoenix Arizona in the hope of coming back around September or October.  How long could she stay in the United Kingdom without us having to get married.  Don't get me wrong, I do want to marry her, I just don't want to rush it just so she can stay in the country.  Surely some people come here for long holidays, could she stay for two or three months possibly?  I have my own house and income so could support her with no problem at all and can prove it.

Thanks

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: My girlfriend is American I am British
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 10:24:30 PM »
Hiya

She can come for 6 months as a visitor.

You might want t post specific questions in the immigration forum.

Vicky

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 08:21:18 AM »
Or couldn't she come over on a fiance visa and then you have six months to marry over here...

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 09:21:20 AM »
Or couldn't she come over on a fiance visa and then you have six months to marry over here...

I think that might be considered "rushing  it so she can stay in the country" :)

• Munday Family Pictures
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 10:04:20 AM »
I would call the Home Office and ask them. They are so very helpful.  I think it is a great idea to not rush into anything and spend some time together.  I just can not think of any such visa that would pertain to you.  Always safer to find out for sure.

By telephone:
09.30 - 13.30, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays:
 0845 010 5555

• Banned

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 10:11:30 AM »
Home Office 'helpful?  Yeah, I remember that...I think it was in 1999....

;D

The Visit Visa is all that is needed, providing she will return home after the holiday.

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 10:22:38 AM »
Hi there

Sorry if this isn't the correct place to post.

Me and my American girlfriend had just got engaged. She has gone back to Phoenix Arizona in the hope of coming back around September or October.  How long could she stay in the United Kingdom without us having to get married.  Don't get me wrong, I do want to marry her, I just don't want to rush it just so she can stay in the country.  Surely some people come here for long holidays, could she stay for two or three months possibly?  I have my own house and income so could support her with no problem at all and can prove it.

Thanks

Visiting visas are good for 6 months out of a calender year. But keep in mind just because it is 6 months, doesn't mean immigrations has to let her in the country. If she comes back for 2 or 3 months she has to prove to the IO that she can support herself without funds, I don't think they'll like it too much if she has no money & her telling them that you'll be supporting her during that time. I'd recommend her coming over with as much money as possible and having some type of proof that she'll return to the states,like a mortgage letter or a letter from her employer stating shes due to come back to the US

• Munday Family Pictures
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 08:30:17 PM »
....Sorry I was confused Hubby agreed Home office was worthless! LOL! It was the British Embassy in Washington DC. Now they went above and beyond as far as help. 

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 08:37:29 PM »
Also, how's it gonna look if she comes in as a visitor w/the baby in tow, if she gets stopped by Immigration.  I reckon it's not going to look very good.

If you were going to marry her anyway, now would probably be a good time.

Hardly 'rushing it' as you've already committed to her by having a child w/her.

• My blog!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 08:20:16 PM »
The Visit Visa is all that is needed, providing she will return home after the holiday.

Victoria, technically speaking if they decide near the end of six months to get hitched anyways, they can petition the home office for clearance to go ahead an marry without her needing to leave (assuming it was all done within the 6 months visitors visa and she applied for an FRL-M right after they got married).  She just can't come into the country with the express intention to get married under the visitors visa, right?
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 08:24:05 PM »
Victoria, technically speaking if they decide near the end of six months to get hitched anyways, they can petition the home office for clearance to go ahead an marry without her needing to leave (assuming it was all done within the 6 months visitors visa and she applied for an FRL-M right after they got married).  She just can't come into the country with the express intention to get married under the visitors visa, right?

Now, I'm not Victoria, of course, but I'm pretty sure that's not possible- they expressly changed the rules in 2005 to require a fiancee visa or marriage visit visa to get married in the UK, or a Certificate of Approval for people already in the country (but a COA can only be acquired by someone who's in the UK on a visa of longer than six months, which obviously would exclude visitors.)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• My blog!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 08:27:43 PM »
but a COA can only be acquired by someone who's in the UK on a visa of longer than six months, which obviously would exclude visitors.

As, so a COA would only apply to those here on a work permit visa, long term student, etc...  Thanks for the clarification!
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 01:22:22 AM »
Now, I'm not Victoria, of course, but I'm pretty sure that's not possible- they expressly changed the rules in 2005 to require a fiancee visa or marriage visit visa to get married in the UK, or a Certificate of Approval for people already in the country (but a COA can only be acquired by someone who's in the UK on a visa of longer than six months, which obviously would exclude visitors.)

This is right.  The COA cannot be obtained by a visitor.

• Banned

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 02:08:30 AM »
Indeedy.  The Artist Formerly Known As Amarylis...is knowing her stuff!

Vicky

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 02:19:01 AM »
Indeedy.  The Artist Formerly Known As Amarylis...is knowing her stuff!

Vicky

Hehe.... Well, combine an interest in immigration issues in general with the mad research skills of a future librarian and you've got....a very educated layperson, that's all ;)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab