Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: New to UKY!! So Many questions regarding Marriage visas!  (Read 463 times)

• Liked: 0
New to UKY!! So Many questions regarding Marriage visas!
« on: February 14, 2010, 06:22:14 PM »
Hello everyone! New to UKY, and new to forums in general! I have heard so many wonderful things about UKY!

I have so many questions I am very unsure about! My husband and I have a different situation, that I haven't been able to find any info on! We met in Miami in 2006, moved to LA in 2007 and then moved to NYC in 2009.  I am an American and he is a Brit.  He has been on a Media visa due to expire in 2011.  He was just recently laid off before we moved to NYC. We married in May 2009 and he is now applying for colleges back in the UK. He is off to interview on Tuesday and is due to move back end of this summer! I am very excited to be moving there, as I have worked for a British restaurant group out in LA for a while and have been dating a Brit for so long!

So my questions are as follows: 

1) He has a large savings in a bank in the UK, however he does not make a lot of money in NY and I am afraid that with his last 6 months of income they will not be too impressed with his earnings.  Will his savings in the UK be OK if he just gets a copy of his bank statements?

2) If he is planning on going to school for 3 years in September 2010 and isn't currently employed in the UK when I apply, what will this mean for my visa? Will they assume he cant "take care of me" and refuse my visa? Or will his savings be sufficient enough? I am not really too worried about finding a job as I have been already offered a position doing something that I wouldn't choose as my 1st choice of employment in London but it would be income until I could get a spot back in the restaurant group I was with in LA. Should I have these people right me a letter?

3) I am also assuming that if we put his mothers address down in Wales as a temporary living situation until we move near his school that this will be OK? She lives in a massive house by herself...

4) Do I really need a lawyer to process my visa application? If I can avoid spending the extra thousands... I would love to! Is it pretty straight forward? Or is a lawyer recommended?

Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say! Thank you so much!

Re: New to UKY!! So Many questions regarding Marriage visas!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 06:30:43 PM »
Welcome to UKY!

I'll let someone a bit wiser handle your questions; I just wanted to say HELLO!
August 2008: Met on Facebook
February 2009: Met face-to-face in London, UK
March 2009 - September 2011: Visits back and forth
January 30, 2012: Married in Vegas
March 19, 2012: Online Application Completed
March 22, 2012: Biometrics, Docs sent (priority)
March 23, 2012: E-mail stating reception of docs
March 26, 2012: VISA ISSUED! :D
May 14, 2012: MOVING TO SHEFFIELD!
March 17, 2014: Passed Life in the UK Test!
June 14, 2014: ILR Approved!

• I miss people no matter where I live
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 07:45:41 PM »
Hello everyone! New to UKY, and new to forums in general! I have heard so many wonderful things about UKY!

I have so many questions I am very unsure about! My husband and I have a different situation, that I haven't been able to find any info on! We met in Miami in 2006, moved to LA in 2007 and then moved to NYC in 2009.  I am an American and he is a Brit.  He has been on a Media visa due to expire in 2011.  He was just recently laid off before we moved to NYC. We married in May 2009 and he is now applying for colleges back in the UK. He is off to interview on Tuesday and is due to move back end of this summer! I am very excited to be moving there, as I have worked for a British restaurant group out in LA for a while and have been dating a Brit for so long!

So my questions are as follows: 

1) He has a large savings in a bank in the UK, however he does not make a lot of money in NY and I am afraid that with his last 6 months of income they will not be too impressed with his earnings.  Will his savings in the UK be OK if he just gets a copy of his bank statements?

2) If he is planning on going to school for 3 years in September 2010 and isn't currently employed in the UK when I apply, what will this mean for my visa? Will they assume he cant "take care of me" and refuse my visa? Or will his savings be sufficient enough? I am not really too worried about finding a job as I have been already offered a position doing something that I wouldn't choose as my 1st choice of employment in London but it would be income until I could get a spot back in the restaurant group I was with in LA. Should I have these people right me a letter?

3) I am also assuming that if we put his mothers address down in Wales as a temporary living situation until we move near his school that this will be OK? She lives in a massive house by herself...

4) Do I really need a lawyer to process my visa application? If I can avoid spending the extra thousands... I would love to! Is it pretty straight forward? Or is a lawyer recommended?

Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say! Thank you so much!

1. Since he will no longer have that job when he moves back to the uk, it doesn't have much relevance. His savings are more important. He should probably get the original bank statements or have them signed by the bank.

2. Yes the letter will be helpful. No they will not refuse your visa just because he's a student. I have known many people to get a spousal visa just showing their maintenance in the form of student loans and grants.

3. Yes you can live at his mother's house provided that it's not over crowded.

4. No lawyer needed, very straightforward application.
Met DH to be: 2004
Visited back and forth:2005-2008
Student visa: September 2008
Married: September 2009
Flr(m): July 2011
Finished my bachelors: May 2012
Finished MSc: august 2013
ILR approved: September 2013
Citizenship approval: August 2015
Passport received: November 2015
Citizenship journey is complete!

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 08:09:02 PM »
Thank you GibbyGab ;D

• I miss people no matter where I live
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 08:11:44 PM »
 ;D No problemo!
Met DH to be: 2004
Visited back and forth:2005-2008
Student visa: September 2008
Married: September 2009
Flr(m): July 2011
Finished my bachelors: May 2012
Finished MSc: august 2013
ILR approved: September 2013
Citizenship approval: August 2015
Passport received: November 2015
Citizenship journey is complete!

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 01:39:51 AM »

I believe you'll need a letter from his mother certifying that she will be providing you with accommodations, and that you'll have a bedroom for yourselves. She also needs to mention if anyone else lives in her home. In my case, we'll be staying with my husband's aunt and we also needed proof that she owns her home, so I sent in bank statements showing her mortgage payments.

Good luck! :)
Submitted online Visa application: January 27th, 2010
Biometrics taken: February 5th, 2010
Expediter submitted application to LA Consulate: February 9th, 2010
Visa issued: February 12th, 2010
Joining my husband in Wales: May 10th, 2010

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 03:30:23 AM »
Thank you~ Do you happen to know if it will mess with someones pension? My husband said that since his mom is on some sort of disability pension, we may not be able to stay with her "on paper" so to speak.  This was all news to me about 24 hrs ago! This process seems so frustrating! I have some time to organize, as we are not leaving until late summer early autumn!

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 10:16:57 AM »
Thank you~ Do you happen to know if it will mess with someones pension? My husband said that since his mom is on some sort of disability pension, we may not be able to stay with her "on paper" so to speak.  This was all news to me about 24 hrs ago! This process seems so frustrating! I have some time to organize, as we are not leaving until late summer early autumn!

does she own the house or rent the house>?
if she owns it, all you need is a letter saying "yes they can stay with me"
however,if she rents it, she would need to get a letter from the landlord stating it is ok for you two to stay there

Sponsored Links