Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dover to Calais  (Read 1029 times)

• Back again
  • Liked: 0
Dover to Calais
« on: April 05, 2004, 05:51:19 PM »
Has anyone done this?

Hubby and I are trying to find an inexpensive thing to do this Easter holiday weekend and I thought about taking a ferry.

I've never done this. A few questions:

If we were to go for 24 hours, is a car a necessity? We are a little unsure about driving.

If you have driven over there, how difficult was it?

What about where to stay? Any suggestions for inexpensive, but nice hotels appreciated.

Any areas around Calais that are a must see???

Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated--

Oh and there is also Portsmouth to Le Harve, anyone done this?

Thanks,

Jenny :)

Re: Dover to Calais
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 06:40:06 PM »
We've driven in France lots of times - (or rather my husband has) - and he didn't find it too difficult, but it might not be worth making the adjustment just for 24 hours. Calais itself isn't that nice, as I remember. If the crossing from Folkestone to Boulogne is still running, Boulogne is much nicer. Or you might consider Newhaven to Dieppe, which is also scenic; also the ferry goes right into the middle of the town so you don't have a long hike from the port to the centre.

There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 09:09:55 PM »
Hi, Jenny ... let me "cut in" some first quick thoughts - others may disagree ...

Has anyone done this?

Yes (I see you started with an easy question ;D )

Hubby and I are trying to find an inexpensive thing to do this Easter holiday weekend and I thought about taking a ferry.

You have a choice of P & O Stena, or Sea France.  Sea France tend to be slightly cheaper on average, but a bit less frequent.  (You mention price ...).   Also look at Dover to Dunkerque with Norfolk line, and you MIGHT want to consider the tunnel.

Golden rule.  Book your ticket ahead.  If you book a week ahead for the tunnel, it's 109 pounds (I think) for a 5 day return which rises to about 250 if you just turn up and go.   There is a hike in price if you book less that 3 days ahead, and you can phone ahead on the day and get somewhere less that the 250.   That's the tunnel ... P & O are almost as bad; Norfolk like I think you can turn up and go for 120.

CHECK MY PRICING - I researched this for the begionning of March and it may be special prices over Easter, or have changed ...

If we were to go for 24 hours, is a car a necessity? We are a little unsure about driving.

A car is not necessary but you may regret not having one if you want to stock up with French produce, beer, wines, baccy, etc.

The port at Calais is not central, but there is (I'm pretty sure) a good bus service.

If you have driven over there, how difficult was it?

I didn't find it hard - but then I'm used to driving on both sides of the road (not at the same time) with the wheel on either side.  Watch out for roundabouts that feel very funny the first time.

What about where to stay? Any suggestions for inexpensive, but nice hotels appreciated.

Pass - my wife likes her creature comforts ;-)

Any areas around Calais that are a must see?

Calais town, some of the wartime forts ... the countryside is pretty flat though.

Oh and there is also Portsmouth to Le Harve, anyone done this?

No, but I have done Portsmouth -> Cherbourg and would recommend it.  The boat comes right into the town (so better without a car) and you can probably get a tour to the Normandy beaches.   If you take the overnight boat you can get a cabin / bed, but at extra charge.

My first random thoughts - hope they provide a starting point.  Looking at the other follow up to this thread, you might want to look at Bolougne or Dieppe (or Cherbourg) where the boats come in central.  From Berkshire, a crossing from Portsmouth eliminates the need for you to do the M25 too!
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 09:11:04 PM »
Just a thought, but I think the Chunnel does cheap day trips.   You can take your car and everything.   I went over in 2000 (so, it has been a while) with a friend and her family that went over regularly to buy wine.  Might be worth checking out.  

***Sorry, must have posted this at the exact same moment as the above*****
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 09:02:14 PM by glasgow-girl »
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• Life needs to be worked at.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 06:16:03 AM »
  A little late on this thread, but i used to travel dover to calais every two weeks.

Driving in Europe is the same as in the states and easy to change over.    Stenna Line are usually the cheapest  you can go over for a 10 pound day trip.  Its slightly more expensive to stay over night and book a hotel  but its fun.   As for a hotel ive used many in calais and the Windsor just a few minutes from the centre is clean cheap and is run by a brit.
  change your pounds that your going to use over in france (before you get to the port) change in say london at one of the currency exchanges to Francs as you will get a much better rate than on the boat or in france.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 06:19:27 AM by waterg »
G

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 04:40:12 PM »
about two years ago, we did the P&O ferry from Portsmith to Cherbourg, and came back by way of La Havre. We stayed in Hon Fleur, which is across the water from La Havre. It is a very sweet medival fishing villiage, with loads of kewl shops. Hubby drove, but I would have felt very much at ease driving, much more so than here in England. We stayed at a moderately cheap modern hotel in Hon Fleur, that had an indoor swimming pool. It was decent even if not overly fancy.  The drive from Cherbourg to Hon Fleur was very scenic,, and we stopped in Bayeux to see the Bayeux Tapestry. Very pretty town and Cathedral as well. We ended at an Auchen's to get 'provisions' to bring back with us, but I also did some damage on the ferry duty free shop lol.  
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 04:40:31 PM by tebs »

• Back again
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 11:42:13 PM »
Just wanted to say a big thank you for the information, :)

We've decided to stay put over Easter and plan ahead instead of doing it last minute--also waiting until we have extra funds to spend spend spend.

The Portsmouth option sounds great--when you paint the picture of getting to Dover GrahamE (M25 eeeeekkk!), Portsmouth becomes even more appealing.

Again, thank you all. :)

Sponsored Links