Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Exchanging money  (Read 629 times)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Exchanging money
« on: April 06, 2004, 07:22:48 AM »
One of the things I've always done when I've traveled -- unless I have absolutley NO foreign currency of the country I plan to visit -- is to stop at the nearest ATM machine once I get there. I know banks and agents, such as Thomas Cook, offer their own conversions, and Traveler's Checks are easily bought, I just wondered, in everyone's experience, which is the best and most economical thing to do?

Normally, with an ATM machine, we're charged £1-1.50 fee. I'm sure their "current rate" also takes in some sort of transaction fee as well.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Exchanging money
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 12:23:40 PM »
We use our ATM card, too.  We try to take out as much as we're going to need first off, that way we save on any sort of fees that will be assessed.  Just find it's easier.  We did it in Prague, Paris, and we do it when we go to the US.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 0
Re: Exchanging money
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 03:21:25 PM »
It's worth opening a Nationwide Flex account, as they don't charge anything for withdrawing from ATM machines abroad. We used this card all the time in Italy last year.
There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing

Sponsored Links