Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Yorkshire book club meeting November 1st!  (Read 5584 times)

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
Re: Yorkshire book club meeting November 1st!
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2008, 10:59:20 AM »
I like the idea in keeping it the first weekend of the month. 

Me too!  The only one we might want to think about is Sat Jan 3 - coming so close on the heels of New Years/holiday festivities?  AFAIK at the mo', I'm okay with that date, but wasn't sure what others would think/want?
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• *swelch2
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2008, 11:27:35 AM »
Me too!  The only one we might want to think about is Sat Jan 3 - coming so close on the heels of New Years/holiday festivities?  AFAIK at the mo', I'm okay with that date, but wasn't sure what others would think/want?

I actually might be in London then...We can just change that one to the second week if no one has any objections!  That meeting we will just pick the book then so that we can start reading it right away?

Also, DH had an idea about the name of our club-Putting an American author and a British author together, ie "Poe Meets Prachett" or something similar..."Bradley Meets Bronte"...Any suggestions? 
Even after all this time the sun never says to the Earth "You owe me."
Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky.
-Hafiz

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2008, 11:38:17 AM »
We can just change that one to the second week if no one has any objections! 

I'm fine doing that with January's meeting.

That meeting we will just pick the book then so that we can start reading it right away?

It might be good once you've got a selection of books to choose, vote or whatever is decided...to set forth the schedule and what the specific books will be for a few months out - like 3-6 months at a time maybe?

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2008, 12:47:51 PM »
December the 6th is the next meeting-write it down ladies!!   :-*

Woe!! :(

One thing I completely forgot to mention yesterday in all the excitement is that with the other library in town closing for renovation later this month, we're now going to be open until 4pm on Saturdays - which means that every other weekend, I'm busy on the Saturday!  I am a bitter opponent of this change (I think that staff from the other library should be responsible for staffing the library until 4pm, not us) but it doesn't really matter what I think - it's the way it's gonna be.  And 6 December is my first Saturday to work until 4pm instead of 12:30. :(

I don't suppose it'd be at all possible to meet on Sundays some of the time?  Or perhaps at 6pm rather than 3pm, on occasion?  I hate to sound like it's "all about me!" - LOL! - but I really want to be a part of the group!!  I could do 6 December as long as I have time to get to the meeting location - allowing about two hours for train travel to where most of y'all live, an early evening meeting rather than an afternoon one would work better in that case. :)

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2008, 01:10:48 PM »
I'd rather be flexible on the time, vs changing the day (except for the January because of the first Saturday's proximity to the holidays), IMHO.  :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 01:14:43 PM by Mrs Robinson »

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2008, 01:15:57 PM »
I'd rather be flexible on the time, vs changing the day (except for the January because of the first Saturday's proximity to the holidays), IMHO.  :)

Yeah, that's my preference, too - I can always sleep in the next morning if I'm out later on the Saturday! ;D

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2008, 01:16:43 PM »
Yeah, that's my preference, too - I can always sleep in the next morning if I'm out later on the Saturday! ;D

And/or you could stay over down here somewhere?  :)

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2008, 01:20:39 PM »
And/or you could stay over down here somewhere?  :)

Ooh, that's always a possibility! :)

• *swelch2
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2008, 05:46:28 PM »
It might be good once you've got a selection of books to choose, vote or whatever is decided...to set forth the schedule and what the specific books will be for a few months out - like 3-6 months at a time maybe?

That sounds good-I say we just get a selection together and then vote on the one we want to read next...As for the time/day suggestion-I say we just switch the time (aside from January).  It could get confusing :) 

Even after all this time the sun never says to the Earth "You owe me."
Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky.
-Hafiz

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2008, 06:51:22 PM »
It was lovely meeting you all yesterday.  Thank you for a fun afternoon.   :)
Yorkshire Yanks Book Club
I like it!   :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 06:54:53 PM by June Cleaver »

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2008, 08:18:25 PM »
I'm feeling a bit jealous for missing it, especially since I already copied swelch and bought a red coat.  ;) I hope to join in next time, if I'm still in the UK I will be there with bells and a red coat on.  :D
"It’s life. You don’t figure it out. You just climb up on the beast and ride." - Rebecca Wells

• Facebook homepage
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2008, 08:34:09 AM »
I too am a fan of Yorkshire Yanks - I just love alliteration!

It's hard for me to think of books that I haven't already read.  I think that at least one club meeting should be a Bronte sister book (just so apt!) but if we could figure out one of their birthday months or something like that, it might be a cool tie-in.

I'll try and do a little research and come up with some contender titles.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2008, 10:29:16 AM »
a Bronte sister book
I'd like that.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2008, 01:06:50 PM »

A possible Leeds venue for a future meeting:  http://www.tiledhallcafe.co.uk/

Oh, good suggestion, Mrs. R.!  Since it is part of the old City Library!
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2008, 01:15:49 PM »
Copied and pasted from the PM I just sent those of us who took part on Saturday, a few book suggestions:

1)  Taste: The Story of Britain Through Its Cooking, by Kate Colquhoun (non-fiction, 2007)

From the Iron Age to the Industrial Revolution, the Romans to the Regency, few things have mirrored society or been affected by its upheavals as much as the food we eat and the way we prepare it. In this involving history of the British people, Kate Colquhoun celebrates every aspect of our cuisine from Anglo-Saxon feasts and Tudor banquets, through the skinning of eels and the invention of ice cream, to Dickensian dinner-party excess and the growth of frozen food. Taste tells a story as rich and diverse as a five-course dinner.

2) Zoology, by Ben Dolnick (fiction, 2007)

A funny, wise and heartwarming story of a young man's first forays into love during a long, hot summer in New York City. Henry likes to think of himself as a promising jazz musician. The truth, however, is considerably less glamorous. At 18, he's dropped out of university, lives at home with his bickering parents, and spends most of his time with the family dog. So when his brother offers to put him up in his New York City apartment for the summer, Henry leaps at the chance to start living the life of his dreams! In the Big Apple, Henry lands a job at the Central Park Children's Zoo. Over weeks spent chopping vegetables and shovelling dung, his world gradually expands to include a motley crew of zoo keepers, doormen and animals of every description. Amongst these, the undisputed star is Newman, the zoo's stoic Nubian goat, in whom Henry confides his growing love for Margaret, the alluringly wholesome girl next door. As the months unfolds in a haze of jazz bars, ill-advised romance and hard truths about family, Henry learns what what it is to love -- and to lose -- in this hilarious, inventive and touching debut novel.

3) The Power & the Glory, by Graham Greene (fiction, 1939 - introduction by John Updike)

In a poor, remote section of southern Mexico, the Red Shirts have taken control. God has been outlawed, and the priests have been systematically hunted down and killed. Now, the last priest strives to overcome physical and moral cowardice in order to find redemption.

If we do read a Bronte novel, I vote for The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte - I've never read it but have heard interesting things!   Wikipedia says she was born in January....

And I definitely like the alliteration of Yorkshire Yanks! :D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab