Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Yorkshire Yanks "Poetry Group" - June Meeting in RHS Harlow Carr, Harrogate  (Read 1861 times)

• Facebook homepage
  • Liked: 0
Poop.  I thought I could italicize thread titles.  Oh well.

As a change of pace in line with the change of seasons, the Yorkshire Yanks Book Club is temporarily becoming the Yorkshire Yanks Poetry club.  To that end, we're inviting anyone who would like to share their favorite poem to a meeting in RHS Harlow Carr (basically, one of the most beautiful gardens in England.  Information about the garden is available here: http://www.rhs.org.uk/whatson/gardens/harlowcarr/index.asp Entry is $7, $6 if we register a group of 10 or more in advance.

Would anyone object if I pushed the date from June 6th (Saturday) to June 7th (Sunday)?  I'm training with a group from Harrogate hospital to do the Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge in July, and one of our training hikes is on that Saturday.

Please post below if you're interested in attending (all are welcome - we're a sociable group!).  Once attendees and whatnot are sorted, we'll talk logistics of getting from Harrogate train station to the gardens (not too far, but it is a bit of a walk)

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”

June 7th would work better for me, personally, as I'll be working June 6th until half past twelve. :)

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
Would anyone object if I pushed the date from June 6th (Saturday) to June 7th (Sunday)?  I'm training with a group from Harrogate hospital to do the Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge in July, and one of our training hikes is on that Saturday.

I don't mind switching from Sat to Sun.  At first, I was thinking that you were doing the Three Peaks on June 6th (rather than a training hike) & I was like - are you sure you're going to feel like moving at all the following day?  Lol!  DH did it a couple of years ago & managed the 25 miles (or thereabouts whatever it is) between 10-11 hours, but he didn't move a muscle the following day.  ;)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• *swelch2
As long as I am in town that Sunday I am in!! 
Even after all this time the sun never says to the Earth "You owe me."
Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky.
-Hafiz

Still not available until July type time - but what a lovely meeting place!  :)

I'm in for this event on June 7th (Sunday)!  Who else?!

Besides, either I'll be celebrating successfully passing my practical (driver's licence) test, or I'll be commiserating.  I need you to be there for either scenario!  :)

I think June 7th will be okay for me.  (Is it almost June already?  Where did the time go!?!)  Just keep me posted please.   :)

• Facebook homepage
Holy PETE!  It's June!

Do we still have any interest in this meeting?  Cinbin (and unfortunately me - unplanned trip to Italy) and I are both traveling this weekend, but I can heartily recommend the gardens having been there a little over a week ago with the Grammas.  The Rhododendrons are in full, glorious bloom, the new Alpine house is really interesting, and the rest of the gardens are really and truly spectacular. 

There are buses from Harrogate train station that will take you out to the garden, or you can make the walk (about 25-30mins, depending on your pace) across Valley Gardens.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”

I'd completely forgotten about this!! Oops.  :-[ 

We're trying to keep our travel-related expenses down this month, though, so if it's a choice between the gardens and the bed race I think we'll shoot for the latter. ;D

I think the Yorkshire Yanks reading group is on a summer hiatus - the good weather only lasts so long here, ya know ;)...and we all seem to have a lot on for the summer months.

We'll see if there's any interest in reviving the group come autumn.  :)

• *swelch2
Sounds like a good idea to me!  Work has been crazy as you all know and I just don't seem to have any time off or to myself until the middle of July!  Hope everyone is well :) x
Even after all this time the sun never says to the Earth "You owe me."
Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky.
-Hafiz

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab