Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What are you reading now?  (Read 19790 times)

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
  • Liked: 0
Re: What are you reading now?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2003, 10:46:05 PM »
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

That is so cool!  :D  I should read some of his stuff, now that I've read such a stunning recommendation.  ;)

And darnitall woman...I want your job!  :D

LOL, I should get a part time job at Borders across the street from you!   [smiley=devilish.gif]
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2003, 01:23:19 AM »
Bill Bryson is hysterical!!!!!!!!

Read, Notes from a Small Island and and I'm a Stranger Here Myself they are great especially for us pond hoppers.  :)

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2003, 09:43:55 AM »
At the moment I'm reading 'I Capture the Castle'  by Dodie Smith.

I enjoy reading, don't get me wrong...but I love films better! I've been wanting to see this in the cinema and I'm afraid it may have passed me by. Got really good reviews.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Wenchstead
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2003, 12:26:42 PM »
I just finished reading (as in read them last week lol) "The Ship who..." series (well except for The City who Fought, but I'm gonna have to track that one down) by Anne McCafferey.  Just figured I'd recommend it.  :D
wench

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2003, 10:33:14 AM »
I love Anne McCaffrey. I've met her too.
For fun? I am taking A level English Lit (friends say I'm crazy cos I already have my masters). We had to read Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale so I got hooked on her. Next year we have to read books dealing with WW1, which should prove interesting because normally I wouldn't have touched anything like that with a 10 foot pole.
I like Lee Child's books, the Kellermans', even (I'll whisper) Nora Roberts as Nora Roberts and as J.D.Robb, Carol O'Connell's Mallory series, Harlan Corben,I have very ecletric taste.
26 years in England
Here via NJ and Israel

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2003, 01:37:56 PM »
In regards to the original question, I'm currently reading Enchantment by Orson Scott Card.

Anyone else read this? It's not so bad so far.
 [smiley=book.gif] [smiley=bootyshake.gif]

There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2003, 05:32:58 PM »
I'm about halfway through it myself, Ashley..not bad at all.

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2003, 04:43:06 PM »
Finished it last night. Ugh, I don't want to wait to talk about it.

Argh.  ;D

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2003, 11:15:06 PM »
Yes, I finished it this morning..I'm going to have to re-read it before we discuss it to remember everything I thought of while reading it!

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2003, 01:43:59 AM »
I just finished reading (as in read them last week lol) "The Ship who..." series (well except for The City who Fought, but I'm gonna have to track that one down) by Anne McCafferey.  Just figured I'd recommend it.  :D
wench

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but her Catenni series is fantastic. I thought she was finished after the third book but she came out about a year or so ago with the fourth which was equally as good. Looks like she's going to make it a longer series. I really recommend it. I've not read much of McCaffrey, only the Catenni and Crystal Singer series but both were so freaking good that I'm looking into reading the others.

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Wenchstead
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2003, 04:06:59 AM »
Honey...read the Dragonriders of Pern series.  Anne McCaffery is god!

Well one of them anyway.  ;D

wench

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2003, 06:20:55 AM »
I like Margaret Atwood's the Handmaid's Tale, but thought Cat's Eye and Alias Grace by her were even better books. I really related to the child in Cat's Eye, maybe that's why it seemed so powerful.

Makes me want to re-read Cat's Eye as it's on my self, but I need to re-read Enchantment first. :)

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2003, 11:24:06 AM »
I think Alias Grace is my favourite of Margaret Atwood's   :D Did you know that Cate Blanchett has bought the rights to it- she wants to make it into a movie with herself starring as Grace Marks!

Should be very good! (Although the book will always be better hehe)

Continuing the thread
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2003, 10:20:48 AM »
I'm currently reading Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice which is the latest instalment of the Vampire Chronicles (although I could be wrong...haven't checked her website to see if she has anything new coming out yet).

Anyway...it's been an interesting read but it's the usual Ricean stuff for the most part.  Good read if you like Rice.

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2003, 06:16:13 PM »
I read American Psycho years ago, thought it was pretty blah to be honest.  Not much plot, unlikeable main character, which I know is the whole point, but it wasn't a "read it again and again" kind of book.  Of course, there are some who think it was one of the most important books ever etc. etc., I'm not one of them, it was kind of throwaway to me.  Interested to know what you think.

You know, me too! I thought the book was really self-indulgent. But after seeing the movie, I began to wonder if I was just reading it wrong. I'm thinking about re-reading it soon.
(Under construction)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab