Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Living in the UK  (Read 9841 times)

• Liked: 680
Re: Living in the UK
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2018, 07:16:19 PM »
I'm not going to lie, Scotland is sounding pretty nice right about now  :o ;)

How expensive is cell phone service in th UK?

I've got a Sky cell phone (my phone, their sim) and am paying 5 pounds a month for unlimited text and phone, and some (?0) data that rolls over every month if I don't use it. Which I don't, because I don't have a smart phone. ;)   O2 has a pay-as-you-go sim that you can get for like 10quid and it doesn't expire. So if you don't use it, you don't lose it! Great if you don't use your phone often.

• Liked: 680
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2018, 07:17:53 PM »
I'll tell you more, MIDGES!  And groundskeeper Willy is real.  And you'll never understand a word anyone says.

Midges are real. Groundskeeper Willy is real. But he's only half the population. The other half are completely intelligble. What they mean, however, is not always clear.  ;D

• Liked: 29
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2018, 07:20:29 PM »
Midges are real. Groundskeeper Willy is real. But he's only half the population. The other half are completely intelligble. What they mean, however, is not always clear.  ;D
Bahahaha I have NO clue what you two are talking about right now 🤷🏻‍♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2018, 07:29:15 PM »
Bahahaha I have NO clue what you two are talking about right now 🤷🏻‍♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hang around a bit longer and you'll be up to speed in no time!  ;D

• Liked: 424
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2018, 07:52:56 PM »
I'm not going to lie, Scotland is sounding pretty nice right about now  :o ;)

How expensive is cell phone service in th UK?
Come to Scotland! Join the movement....FREEDOM!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 29
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2018, 09:01:48 PM »

Okay! Why Scotland (if you haven't already told me)?! How are the schools regulated there? I notice they do not have Ofsted reports....

• Liked: 1893
Living in the UK
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2018, 08:24:06 AM »

Freedom to shag in the car park while Rick sleeps in the booth! 

Sorry OP, that's just a reference to an old post.

Midges are like gnats or no seeums and they are particular to Scotland.  Tiny, but  they've got a bite like a horse fly.

All the people in Scotland are happy right now because they are finally getting some sun.  There's a massive heat wave up there right now.  Look for the old posts made during January when we've got to talk them down from the ledge because they get 3 hours of sun a day.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2018, 08:30:03 AM »

All the people in Scotland are happy right now because they are finally getting some sun.  There's a massive heat wave up there right now.  Look for the old posts made during January when we've got to talk them down from the ledge because they get 3 hours of sun a day.

Lol!  While not true of the old timers, we do get a few newbies each year.  We have one member who moved over in October after FINALLY getting her visa after a nearly 6 month wait.  It was a two year move in the process.  They've already returned to the US (I know her on Facebook) permanently and they hated every minute in Scotland.  But that can happen to anyone with any big move.  It doesn't happen to everyone.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2018, 08:37:10 AM »
I recommend the excellent Scottish documentary Trainspotting.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2018, 08:38:00 AM »
Okay! Why Scotland (if you haven't already told me)?! How are the schools regulated there? I notice they do not have Ofsted reports....
Well, I don’t have any kids so can’t say much about the schools here. It is unusually warm here right now so I’m happy. Cost of living here seems quite reasonable, although i’m from Denver where its expensive. Bought a nice 2008 car in perfect condition for £800....a convertible too! I’m here because my wife is, and I haven’t been to much yet further south to give you any comparison.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2018, 08:38:43 AM »

Ha!  Not 'all' of us... I hate hot weather and am currently quite miserable!  :\\\'(  I'm on holiday this week and next and have just been hiding in the house with a fan on and the curtains closed, hating life.  But at least i am sweating in my own home, and not at work!

Oh, and in all my years here, I have never been bitten by a midge.

« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2018, 08:38:43 AM »
Freedom to shag in the car park while Rick sleeps in the booth! 

Sorry OP, that's just a reference to an old post.

Midges are like gnats or no seeums and they are particular to Scotland.  Tiny, but  they've got a bite like a horse fly.

I wasn’t sleeping jimbo, I was out giving your car a ticket! ;)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2018, 08:52:22 AM »
Nope, no one is sticking to the rules.   So I will.  ;) :P 
Scotland is no good.  You don't want to come to Scotland, nope, nope, nope.  Midgees, no sun in the winter, cold-damp-rain, not being able to sleep in the summer because of the light levels, it takes forever to get anywhere on windy-single track roads, not having your packages delivered because you're 'not in the mainland UK', running out of food in the shops in the winter when the snow block the roads and the lorries can't make it north, and having the newsteams not care about you. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2018, 08:53:49 AM »
We have one member who moved over in October after FINALLY getting her visa after a nearly 6 month wait.  It was a two year move in the process.  They've already returned to the US (I know her on Facebook) permanently and they hated every minute in Scotland.

OMG! Is that Susan?  I'd been wondering how she was getting on....   

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2018, 08:54:22 AM »
Nope, no one is sticking to the rules.   So I will.  ;) :P 
Scotland is no good.  You don't want to come to Scotland, nope, nope, nope.  Midgees, no sun in the winter, cold-damp-rain, not being able to sleep in the summer because of the light levels, it takes forever to get anywhere on windy-single track roads, not having your packages delivered because you're 'not in the mainland UK', running out of food in the shops in the winter when the snow block the roads and the lorries can't make it north, and having the newsteams not care about you. 

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Sponsored Links