Hello

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
When I travel to the USA I have to legally use my US passport to enter, and I then use my UK passport when traveling back because I am going back to the UK to live so I have to prove my right to live there.

I think it will be the same with Canada

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/entry-requirements-country.html

Canadian citizens
Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, need a valid Canadian passport. American-Canadians can travel with a valid Canadian or U.S. passport.
Travel and Transport / Re: Driving lessons and practical test
« Last post by jimbocz on Yesterday at 05:54:40 PM »
First time pass here as well!   I did take lessons even after driving in the US for many years.  The test was hard, and I've heard it's gotten harder.
Visas & Citizenship / First Overseas Trip with New UK Passport - Question
« Last post by emma5jay5 on Yesterday at 01:50:01 PM »
Hi all - I'm soon to travel 'home' for a 1-month vacation in Canada, first overseas trip since I got the UK passport.

I assume I must use the UK passport when I return back to the UK.
But I wonder if I should therefore use the UK passport on every leg of my journey - to enter Canada, and to fly within Canada as well?
Or should I use my Canada passport to enter Canada and to fly within Canada?
It feels like it's more correct to use the same passport for every leg of my journey, and not to enter different passport numbers at different stages of the journey.

I'd love to know what others have done, and as always, all advice is appreciated!!
Visas & Citizenship / Re: Quick Question About Housing
« Last post by EinintheUK on Yesterday at 09:48:01 AM »
Thank you very much larrabee.  :)
« Last post by durhamlad on Yesterday at 08:16:59 AM »
My daughter went through this last year, passed her test and got her full licence on July 4 so celebrated a double Independence Day. She also had over 20 years driving experience but did buy an automatic car here so she could drive on her US licence for a few months until it expired. My son did something similar a few years earlier and as suggested I think it is really important to get some lessons because although you know how to drive and are very experienced you need to know to pass the test and an instructor will take you on the typical routes that the examiner will take.

My son took his test in the instructor’s car but my daughter took her test in her own car, an EV, which was a first for the examiner as it turned out. They both passed first time fortunately.
Welcome Wagon / Re: Hello from Utah!
« Last post by durhamlad on Yesterday at 08:08:35 AM »
Working remotely for a US firm while in the UK is a HUGE can of worms. Technically there's nothing to stop you, but if the UK government finds out, oy!  That'd be problematic.

But if the OP managed to come in on a Spouse visa, they could work, right? Just not on a Visitor visa.  And, of course, not remotely for the US firm unless that US firm has a presence in the UK and pays the applicable taxes, etc.?

I agree, the right to work is really important, regardless of who you work for. Provided you have that right to work I don’t think it matters too much in the short term of a year or so who you work for as long as all income is declared at tax time.

When my daughter moved over in November 2022 she continued to work remotely for her US firm for 9 months before they eventually opened a UK office and started paying her locally.  Her first UK tax filing for the 22/23 tax year was 100% US source income but she paid UK taxes on it and claimed it back as foreign tax credits in the US 2023 tax return. This coming UK tax filing she will have a mix of income from the US firm and also it’s UK office.
« Last post by Erin on Yesterday at 07:47:10 AM »
 Thanks, this is super helpful to hear! :) I actually do use mirrors a lot (even use one as a cyclist) so maybe that will be a benefit! But roundabouts ... not looking forward to that haha

Welcome Wagon / Re: Hello from Utah!
« Last post by Nan D. on Yesterday at 12:52:03 AM »
I went to High School in Tooele!
I don’t think that you would be able to stay here for a year, as a visitor the maximum time allowed is 6 months. Also, you can’t work……even remotely (at least I don’t think you can).

Working remotely for a US firm while in the UK is a HUGE can of worms. Technically there's nothing to stop you, but if the UK government finds out, oy!  That'd be problematic.

But if the OP managed to come in on a Spouse visa, they could work, right? Just not on a Visitor visa.  And, of course, not remotely for the US firm unless that US firm has a presence in the UK and pays the applicable taxes, etc.?
Visas & Citizenship / Re: Quick Question About Housing
« Last post by larrabee on April 30, 2024, 08:10:31 PM »
Hello all! I'm back again, it's time to renew my FLR-M visa for the final 2.5 year stretch before ILR.

My question is quick but I found the government website confusing:
My husband and I bought a house in April '23. I could not be on the mortgage, but I am on the paperwork as an official secondary permanent resident. Does this suffice for housing evidence?

Secondary question:
Do we need to provide evidence of housing for the entire 2.5 years, or is it 6 months? I have the items of correspondence for all 2.5 years (every 4 months), but do I need a letter from our previous landlord? We bought the house we had been renting from the landlord. I just know before we needed a proof of tenancy AND the mail. I have all the documents about the sale of the house, but I wasn't sure if we also needed a letter confirming we rented the house in the time before we bought it.

Thanks so much in advance for your time.

1- All you need is proof that he owns the house; the land registry document and the most recent mortgage statement.

2- Good job for collecting the correspondence evidence. For the accommodation requirement, you only need proof going forward so again, it's the proof of ownership of the house.  They also like to see the most recent council tax bill.

Visas & Citizenship / Quick Question About Housing
« Last post by EinintheUK on April 30, 2024, 06:30:56 PM »
Hello all! I'm back again, it's time to renew my FLR-M visa for the final 2.5 year stretch before ILR.

My question is quick but I found the government website confusing:
My husband and I bought a house in April '23. I could not be on the mortgage, but I am on the paperwork as an official secondary permanent resident. Does this suffice for housing evidence?

Secondary question:
Do we need to provide evidence of housing for the entire 2.5 years, or is it 6 months? I have the items of correspondence for all 2.5 years (every 4 months), but do I need a letter from our previous landlord? We bought the house we had been renting from the landlord. I just know before we needed a proof of tenancy AND the mail. I have all the documents about the sale of the house, but I wasn't sure if we also needed a letter confirming we rented the house in the time before we bought it.

Thanks so much in advance for your time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
coloured_drab