Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Retired UK/US citizen returning to UK with US citizen spouse  (Read 190 times)

• Liked: 45
Retired UK/US citizen returning to UK with US citizen spouse
« on: January 11, 2024, 07:44:51 PM »
I'm a retired US/UK dual citizen with a retired US citizen spouse and we are thinking of moving to the UK so my spouse will need a visa. I've read about the changes to the "wage requirements" for a spouse visa, but neither of us will be working. so how does that affect the spouse visa? I get a DB pension and US Social Security totaling ~$45k/year and will eventually qualify for full UK state pension. My spouse will get ~$30k in US social security in about 10 years although that could be taken earlier. We are lucky enough to have substantial financial resources in savings and DC pensions and general investment accounts. So what income and savings are taken into account for retired spousal visas?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 07:53:44 PM by nun »

• Liked: 6110
Re: Retired UK/US citizen returning to UK with US citizen spouse
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 08:12:38 PM »
I'm a retired US/UK dual citizen with a retired US citizen spouse and we are thinking of moving to the UK so my spouse will need a visa. I've read about the changes to the "wage requirements" for a spouse visa, but neither of us will be working. so how does that affect the spouse visa? I get a DB pension and US Social Security totaling ~$45k/year and will eventually qualify for full UK state pension. My spouse will get ~$30k in US social security in about 10 years although that could be taken earlier. We are lucky enough to have substantial financial resources in savings and DC pensions and general investment accounts. So what income and savings are taken into account for retired spousal visas?

Hi Nun,

It might help to take a look at the current financial requirement rules just to give you an idea of the various ways you may be able to qualify.  But from what you've said, you'd be able to use your retirement income, your savings or a combination of both. If you have enough savings though, which it sounds like you will, that is the easiest method to use and you will have no problem getting the visa.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6511a4dc2f404b0014c3d89e/1.7+-+Financial+requirement.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-fm-se-family-members-specified-evidence

It will depend on your timeline whether you would make it in under the current requirements or not. We don't have the detail on the new requirements yet but my guess would be that all the same methods will apply and it will just be the level of income/savings which will differ.

Currently, the income requirement is £18,600 and the alternative savings requirement is £62,500 if no income is used.       

• Liked: 45
Re: Retired UK/US citizen returning to UK with US citizen spouse
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 10:21:22 PM »
Thanks, that's perfect. I was unsure about how pensions were treated and the amount of cash savings required. The links cover pensions and my social security and also show how much we'll need in savings to cover any income shortfall when the higher income requirements kick in. I'm relieved that having the cash savings in a US bank is ok, I was afraid that I might have to move to the UK and open UK accounts before applying for the visa. It all looks ok. But if I was looking at this when I was first married in the US as a starving post-doc it wouldn't have been possible to qualify for the visa via income or savings.

Sponsored Links