Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Really silly question - Channel Islands  (Read 830 times)

• Liked: 0
Really silly question - Channel Islands
« on: March 05, 2005, 07:13:58 PM »
So I'm turning 30 next month.  *sob*  We're going to the Channel Islands for my birthday, which I think will be fun. 

Last night my husband was on the phone with his Mom and I heard him say something to the extent of it being another country.  Then I noticed on the website today when I was booking about not being covered by the NHS while we're there.  I thought it was part of the UK?  I'm a little confused. 

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: Really silly question - Channel Islands
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 07:22:18 PM »
So I'm turning 30 next month.  *sob*  We're going to the Channel Islands for my birthday, which I think will be fun. 

Last night my husband was on the phone with his Mom and I heard him say something to the extent of it being another country.  Then I noticed on the website today when I was booking about not being covered by the NHS while we're there.  I thought it was part of the UK?  I'm a little confused. 

I don't know if it counts as part of the UK or not. If not, there's a form (E111) you can get at any post office which will extend your NHS coverage to the rest of Europe while you're away. I did it a month or so ago when I went to France. Easy to do and costs nothing.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 07:29:56 PM »
Well, I doubt anything bad will happen sitting around the pool at the hotel so I'm not too fussed about it.  :) 

Oh - my husband also made a really tasteless crack about how we're going to holiday with a bunch nazi sympathizers.  Again, I don't want to seem to clueless to my husband.  Anyone have any idea what he was referring to?  Well, outside the obvious. 

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 07:38:03 PM »
You're not clueless - the Nazi sympathiser thing is referring to the fact that Jersey was occupied by the Nazis in World War II.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 07:40:01 PM »
my husband also made a really tasteless crack about how we're going to holiday with a bunch nazi sympathizers.  Again, I don't want to seem to clueless to my husband.  Anyone have any idea what he was referring to?  Well, outside the obvious. 

What's the obvious??? All I know is that the Channel Islands were in fact occupied by the Nazis during WWII.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 08:01:39 PM »
The Channel Islands are not part of the United Kingdom, nor are they part of the European Union.    They are independent "Crown Dependencies."   The U.K. is responsible for their defense but little else.   

The islands fall into two "bailiwicks," or jurisdictions:  Jersey and Guernsey.  The latter includes some of the smaller islands, including Alderney and Sark.   Each has its own local laws, its own tax system, and its own money (although the latter is still pounds and pence on a 1:1 exchange rate and Sterling notes and coins are readily accepted). 

Many things are cheaper on the islands due to there being lower duties and no VAT.   I haven't been to Jersey since 1991, but at that time gasoline was about half the U.K. price, for example.

The Channel Islands fell to the Nazis in 1940 and are the only British territory to be occupied during WWII.   Although there have been accusations of collaboration over the years, there are also many stories of how brave islanders thwarted the occupying army. 

If you are in Jersey, there is a "Museum of the Occupation" in St. Helier which is well worth a visit (I assume it is still there, as I said I haven't been there since '91). 

Some more background information here:

Channel Islands

Crown Dependency

« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 08:03:27 PM by Paul_1966 »
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 01:11:25 AM »
The U.K. is responsible for their defense but little else.   

Just to add that fiances and spouses settling in the CI, and visa nationals headed for the Channel Islands need to use the VAF1/VAF2 forms and apply at the British consulate nearest them.

This procedure includes the Isle of Man, which is EU.  It's a complex paradox.

It's up to the consulate to either issue the entry clearance or to make a referral to the baliwick.  Jersey has a formalized sponsorship procedure for fiances and spouses, it's the only one I know about in the UK or its dependancies.   I helped apply for a fiance visa in Jersey in January and they (i.e., the British Embassy in Moscow) made a referral to Jersey Immigration saying that it was mandatory - which it is *NOT*.  But, the referral was turned around favorably in about 2 hours.  Good news for all concerned...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 01:18:54 AM by garry »

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 11:12:50 AM »
Hi, DaisyAnn.

Health cover

About 15 years ago, I was with my son on the Channel Island on Alderney and we had an accident and broke his arm - very nastily too.  With good luck it was 400 yards from the Island's hospital ...

I've nothing but praise for the staff there, and there was no question of payment or anything; they even gave us the X-Rays to bring back to Salisbury (he needed a general anesthetic to ... never mind ... and they couldn't do that at their tiny place).  I don't think we had an E111 and think they worked it closely or with the NHS. However, you may as well take one (or the new card), can't do any harm.

German occupation

Lisa and I were on Guernsey a few weeks ago. It was occupied during the second world war by the Germans, and many of the fortification still exist. But apart from some specific museums, most of them are unmarked as to what they are as if the locals want to forget - in contrast to all the Napolionic stuff which is preserved / labelled / much more a proud legacy.

The Nazis were an unwelcome army of occupation.  I would suggest that any comments about sympatisers would go down very badly indeed on Guernsey - you might be talking to a landlady who's father was imprisoned by the occupying forces, or a shopkeeper who's family was forced to give up their home to them.
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 02:13:57 PM »
Oh cool, thanks for all the good info guys!  I'm looking forward to my trip.  We got a great deal through Concord Ferries  £120 each for two nights at a nice hotel, ferry trip (including car) and some meals.  The hotel has an indoor heated swimming pool and lots of squishy comforts.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 08:51:34 AM »
I really enjoyed Guernsey, and even though it wasn't *quite* the right time of year, I could see why so many people flock to see the Channel Islands in the summer.

There were things that struck me about the German occupation. I knew they were there for almost the entire war, so there was a great impact to their lives. But what struck me was that the French heritage, dating back hundreds of years, was so obvious, yet, aside from the forts that Graham describes above, and the Occupation Museum, there seemed to be a total obliteration of that memory. And this was very curious to me...except to underscore just how badly they must have suffered and were humiliated during the occupation. Like a woman who scrubs herself raw after being raped. And there would still be people alive there with those memories.

It happened to be the anniversary of the Holocaust when we were leaving. As we walked toward the ferry port I saw a memorial with some fresh flowers, so I stopped to read. It was quite touching, and my eyes filled with tears. It was a memorial to two Jewish Guernsey women who were taken away and later died in a concentration camp.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 12:42:23 PM »
Terribly stuff.  I saw a bit of a mini series on TV about the Nazis taking over the Channel Islands.  I didn't get to see much past the 1st part but it was as if the British forces gave up on them and there was the equivalent of a few farmers with pitchforks to defend against Nazi war troops.

I imagine those who could or wanted to leave early on did but it must have been horrible for those who stayed.

To lighten the mood, does anyone know how long it takes to get to the Channel Islands either by boat or plane?

Also, I understand the Atlantic French coast is not actually that warm, certainly not like going to Lanzarote or the Carribean.  Obviously in Summer it probably would be but would it be relatively cold in March?  I understand the French Atlantic coast is not a Summer beach lovers paradise, compared to say the Costa del Sol or the French Riviera.  Am I way off base?

Matt
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 12:46:00 PM »
Forgot to say in my previous post about climate, I wonder the same thing about The Azores and Madeira.  Sun worshipper, beach paradise or another kind of island all together?

Matt
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

Sponsored Links