Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Work Permit/Visa Status Question  (Read 690 times)

• Liked: 0
Work Permit/Visa Status Question
« on: February 11, 2005, 03:56:36 AM »
I recently submitted notice to resign from my job here, after several years (less than 4 though).  This was a calculated high risk move but one that needed to be made.  The question I have is, if I do not find a new job by the official date of resignation, what will happen when my employer notifies the Home Office of the change in my work status? 

- Will I be able to continue to look for work here without a valid work permit? 
- Will my immigration status automatically change to "tourist" for 90 days or will that only be effected if I leave the country and re-enter? 
- Will I be forced to leave the country if I am not employed here after the Home Office is notified? 
- I have only recently submitted my application for an HSMP Visa and that process is about 30 weeks behind (only now working on apps from June '04!)

The lease on my current flat is valid for several more months and to make matters more difficult, my wife and I are expecting our first child any day now.  She is not a US or UK citizen and we need to get the child's passport for 2 countries before he can travel.  Can/would the authorities here kick us out or prevent me from actively looking for work if I am not legally employed here?...Any information is greatly appreciated!

JB007

• Liked: 8
Re: Work Permit/Visa Status Question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 08:12:56 AM »
This is only based on what I've read on here about work permits, but I would think that you'll have 28 (or 30?) days to leave the country after leaving your job.  If you're here on a work permit, it's specific to your current job and once you don't work there anymore, you have to go.  You can't look for other work because you won't be covered by your original work permit.

Again, that's just conjecture...I'm sure someone on here will know more about work permits than I do!

Best of luck!   :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab