Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cats going home to USA  (Read 755 times)

• Liked: 0
Cats going home to USA
« on: May 21, 2006, 03:18:32 AM »
9 months after all the hassle of going through the PETS travel scheme, it is time to return home.  Sigh.  I am not looking forward to the headache of shipping my 2 cats home.  Of course I would not have given up having my kitties with me here.  Anyone with experience sending pets back to the USA?  I have been on the USDA websites, and there aren't many restrictions.   

The cats came over from Atlanta GA to Heathrow on Continental Airlines, and cost about $1200 USD for both.  I called Continental here, and was told they cannot accept direct bookings from general public and that I would have to go through an agent.  I have gotten 3 quotes and they average 1200 GBP's for both cats.  Any advice for other airlines like BA? 

Thanks, all advice is appreciated!

Re: Cats going home to USA
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 03:16:46 PM »
We took both of our cats in one specially designed container on BA and the shipping cost was £180 and $150 total. Outside of the rabies cost and the flight certificate (10 days before flying).....that was it! I called BA direct regarding booking the cats and then booking us once space was available.

£1200 for cats! You got the wrong info!! The only catch for me was we had to fly into a different airport and drive the remainder home- that was because the temperature at arrival can't be over 85 degrees. When is it every under 85 degrees in Las Vegas? We flew instead into LAX.  Email if you need more info........

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 03:30:47 PM »
I recently booked 2 cats going from the IOM to Naples Italy with BA....not the same as the USA.

the ladies had to pay something like £150.00 each for service charge and then about £100.00 transfer charge from the IOM flight to the Naples flight and then it was £9.25 per kilo per box..they had to have the dimensions of the box and the weight of the box with the cats inside..and they were not allowed to have 2 cats in one box..they had to each have their own box..........it was going to cost them alot more for the cats tickets than it was for their own tickets........and they pay it direct to BA.......

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 04:10:55 PM »
The only reason this container is allowed is that it has 2 compartments, with wire mesh down the middle to keep them separated. It is charged as one container tho. Paid both $ and £ amounts to the excess baggage dept. at Heathrow.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 02:25:24 AM »
Thanks GrnEyesnUK!  I will call BA and get a direct quote.  Did you get the shipping box with 2 compartments from them?  I can't believe the difference in price.  These "pet travel agencies" must make a fortune.  I may e-mail you later with more questions! :)

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 05:11:45 AM »
I used this company near Heathrow for the wooden cat compartment. You just have to ask for it--  http://www.airpets.com/containers_home.html

Off the top of my head, it was around £108 plus shipping to your house.

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 10:21:29 AM »
Thanks GrnEyesnUK!  I will call BA and get a direct quote.  Did you get the shipping box with 2 compartments from them?  I can't believe the difference in price.  These "pet travel agencies" must make a fortune.  I may e-mail you later with more questions! :)

FYI..........I didn't make any money off of this.....I booked the tickets for the human ppl...and I did the booking for the cats as a service.........the whole cost of shipping the cats was a BA charge...we didn't charge anything for booking the cats...AND I got charged .50pence a minute by BA to arrange it..and DIDN'T charge the client for the call..........which ended up costing £10.00

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 01:26:46 PM »
I just called BA World Cargo, they quoted me 600 GBP for freight from London Gatwick to Atlanta GA for both cats.  Airpets (agency) quoted 880 GBP, but they include travel containers, 1 night boarding prior to flight, vet certificate, and airline handling fees.  When I spoke to BA, they said Airpets is the BA preferred agency to work with.  So I think I may just go with them, since I don't have much other choices.  Thanks for all your help.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 02:08:25 PM »
OUCH......My apologies............the cats were on the same flight as me and were considered baggage. Perhaps that's why it costs less? (This was last August). Outside of the container, I only dealt with BA directly.

Sponsored Links