Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Got my spousal visa... and fast!  (Read 1758 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Got my spousal visa... and fast!
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 10:17:58 PM »
So a completed online app is only 'valid' for two weeks once it has been filled out?

And the timeline would go:

1) Gather necessary docs.
2) Fill out online application
3) Print it out, and submit with all other docs
4) Wait for thumbs-up, and biometrics appointment

Where would the Life in the UK test come in that sequence?

I believe the 14 day rule is *after* the biometrics are done, not when you fill out the online app, so it still pays to have all your paperwork sorted (or at least coming together) around the time you apply online so it can be ready to go after your biometrics.
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 10:33:08 PM »
So a completed online app is only 'valid' for two weeks once it has been filled out?

No, the biometrics are only valid for 2 weeks after the appointment.  The application, once submitted, doesn't expire.

The Life in the UK test can only be done in the UK.  Your wife can fly over and take it as a visitor, then I believe she'd be able to apply immediately for ILR, otherwise she will have to get the FLR with a KOL required stamp, then once you've moved she can take the test at her leisure and apply for ILR once it's completed. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 10:58:50 PM »
To elaborate on what historyenne said, if your wife flew over as a visitor and took the test and was grated ILR w/ KOL, it would save you a visa application in the future.  If she doesnt take the test before applying and is granted FLR, she will then need to apply (and pay for) ILR.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 11:01:57 PM »
To elaborate on what historyenne said, if your wife flew over as a visitor and took the test and was grated ILR w/ KOL, it would save you a visa application in the future.  If she doesnt take the test before applying and is granted FLR, she will then need to apply (and pay for) ILR.

I'm just going to make a teeny-tiny nitpick: Everyone is required to take the KOL before they can get ILR, therefore there is no ILR w/KOL, there is just ILR. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 11:05:21 PM »
Right... thanks for the nitpick! 

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 08:16:52 AM »

Just to sum up...

If your wife would like to have ILE (***nitpick alert***Indefinite Leave to Enter - ILR is Indefinite Leave to Remain issued to those ALREADY in the UK) she would need to arrange to take the LiUK test before submitting her online application. So a trip to the UK would have to precede your timeline. If she chooses not to do so then she would receive the spousal visa with the KOL endorsement.

1-Gather Documents
2-apply online & pay & schedule biometrics appointment
3-Attend biometrics appointment
4-Submit documents with validated biometrics sheet to the consulate within 14 calendar days of attending biometrics appointment.
5-Wait....

If you choose to go the spousal visa with the KOL endorsement when you arrive in the UK she can take the test at anytime and apply for ILR after she's passed the test and does not need to wait for the 27 month spousal visa to expire.

The most economic way is if at some point that you'll be in the UK she can just schedule a test and take it. Really not that difficult of an exam I've been studying for about 3 weeks now and probably could pass it today if I took it. Then when the time comes to apply for her visa to the UK she'd have the certificate and would just need to submit that with the application resulting in an ILE and her being safe from all the pending legislation changes that will come next year---provided that you are looking to move sometime in the next 8-12 months.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab