Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Not rinsing dishes?!?!  (Read 8915 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Not rinsing dishes?!?!
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2015, 09:02:39 PM »
That's one of those things where you lift the lid and stand there for a while trying to make sense of it.
I believe one of her missions in life is to have me doing that for a month or so after she goes home.  :)
Met in 1999 online
Married in 2002 on US Visa
Applied for UK Visa May 2015
Waiting dramatically for a response.
Plan to move to the UK Early Autumn 2015

« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2015, 06:06:17 PM »
Hilarious! I didn't realise it was a British thing, but it's been driving me crazy for 2 years! :)

• Liked: 12
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2015, 11:42:35 AM »
I hate summer because it means DH switches the heating off so we have to use the immersion in the hot water tank.  We turn it on for only an hour or so in the morning for showers etc.

This means we have to boil the kettle for washing up.  Not too too awful in itself but then to rinse you have only the cold water from the tap.  Try as I might I can never keep it from going into the dishpan and making the washing up water cold.  Very often I miss the odd soap suds.  Oh well ...

Time for a dishwasher  ;D
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 9
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2015, 08:56:06 PM »
This means we have to boil the kettle for washing up.  Not too too awful in itself but then to rinse you have only the cold water from the tap.  Try as I might I can never keep it from going into the dishpan and making the washing up water cold.  Very often I miss the odd soap suds.  Oh well ...

Time for a dishwasher  ;D

When we moved into our second flat, the boiler seemed to be on the way out and made me nervous. I would start the dishwater, then step into the living room for a bit, as if that was somehow safer if it blew up.  ::) The boiler was about 2 1/2 feet from the sink. Then I quit using it and would boil the kettle for dishes. When hubby would go for his bath, I'd go to the bedroom (again, as if that was safer if it blew up). It didn't take long before we called the landlord and ended up with a shiny, safe, new one.

It amazed me how little water I could do with for washing up, when I boiled the kettle for it.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 13
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2015, 11:29:05 PM »
OMG! I thought this was a DUDE thing! It's a Brit thing???

My husband doesn't rinse before placing in the dish washer, and when he does hand wash the dishes, it's a light rinse--and not the whole thing--just the part food was on (so good luck if you spilled some of it on the side of the pot). It's so strange to me as I was raised to wash everything, handle and all (I mean, what if you sneezed on your hand and then touched the handle??). Haha, oh man. I try to make him to rinse it. Still in training.
Spouse Visa Granted: 20 January 2016 - Arrived in UK: 27 February 2016 - FLR(M) Granted: 12 November 2018 - LiTUK Test Passed: 6 March 2021 - ILR Application Submitted: 13 March 2021 - Biometrics: 10 April 2021 - ILR Approved 25 August 2021 - UK Citizenship Application Submitted: 20 September 2021 - Biometrics: 12 October 2021 - Email Invite to Citizenship Ceremony: 15 November 2021

• Liked: 2
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2016, 11:47:54 AM »
Or use the same tea towel that they've dried their hands on, wiped down counter with to dry dishes.  Agh!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2016, 10:29:47 PM »
Or use the same tea towel that they've dried their hands on, wiped down counter with to dry dishes.  Agh!
Yeah, but I know Americans who do that too.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 533
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2016, 08:10:43 AM »
I was reading an account where this person recalls her strongest memories of visiting her grandmother when she was a child.

She said when she came in from playing, her grandmother would pull her into the kitchen....and using the dreaded tea towel....dampened slightly with icy water.....grandma would scour her face.....then go back to wiping up with it.

She made the case that it may have strengthened her immune system.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2016, 11:28:16 PM »
I didn't realize this was a Brit thing either, but it makes me crazy! My sister-in-law, my husband, and everywhere I go (WI, bowls club, etc.) it's the same..... I asked a woman once if she just dried her hair with the shampoo on it. Her face was a picture!

• Liked: 18
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2016, 11:33:22 AM »
I asked a woman once if she just dried her hair with the shampoo on it. Her face was a picture!

Oh, that's a good one... I would have loved to see her face!   ;D

*snicker, snort* 
Here 2 years as of Oct. 1, 2016.

• azroomie & james
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2016, 06:28:17 AM »
My Dh doesn't think it's necessary  to  rinse dishes  if they are drip dsrying but yes to  mugs??   ???
"Courage is the power to let go of the familiar." - Raymond Lindquist

• Liked: 63
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2016, 08:33:16 AM »
Interestingly, on a recent episode of Coronation Street, a main character was drying the dishes with a tea towel....and the soap suds were literally dripping off. Obviously no rinsing in that soapland (no pun intended) household!

There IS a reason that dishwashers and clothes washers have a rinse cycle. Anyone who wants to eat soap and residual grease, have at it, but anything I and wash will continue to be rinsed.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 8
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2016, 02:45:50 PM »
I think this issue starts in school, kids learn to conserve, and recycle. I've been married to a Brit for 10 years now. When you brush your teeth Americans leave the water running, my wife does not. She does not rinse the dishes when hand washed, thankfully we have a dishwasher. In England there is a switch on every electrical outlet. It is turned off when not in use, some times there all turned off when leaving the house for the day. I would bet this all started after WWII, when every thing was in short supply. And has carried thru to today. A trip to a recycle center would prove that the English are a country that use all their resources well.  But for a country that has more rain that any other place I have ever lived, is funny. I would say it's their number one resource.

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2016, 04:23:34 PM »
Man, my wife is constantly turning off those switches on th outlets.  Drives me nuts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2016, 12:16:59 PM »
I've recently discovered this site and had been browsing for a bit when I saw this topic...I had to create an account JUST to say that this definitely drives me up a wall!! There is so much residue left on our glasses because DH refuses to rinse after washing them in a sink full of dishwater  ::) I've only been here a week, but this is one habit we're going to have to change!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab