Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Credit cards  (Read 4079 times)

Re: Credit cards
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2006, 04:04:30 PM »
I got my first credit card after a year here.
All my c.c.'s are chip and pin by the way.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2006, 05:06:03 PM »
I have US debit card/Visa, it always go through as a regular credit card transaction where you sign.  It has a chip and pin, though the cash register flags it as foreign, well that is what the lady at Sainsbury's told me.  All my UK credit cards are chip and pin.

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2006, 05:14:42 PM »
Thanks.  I tried Natwest and MBNA here in the UK and they told me that you had to reside for 2 yrs.   Maybe it varies from company to company. My husband put me on his.  Good to know that my US card will still work.  They have chip and pin in the States? My US visa credit card rep had no idea what I was talking about and had to get 3 supervisors.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2006, 05:16:26 PM »
Certainly my US debit card had chip and pin before I left the States (over 7 years ago).
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2006, 05:37:58 PM »
Certainly my US debit card had chip and pin before I left the States (over 7 years ago).

I agree, my US debit card has been chip and pin for ages.

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2006, 05:46:32 PM »
I agree, my US debit card has been chip and pin for ages.
I have had the same US bank account for ten years and still use my debit card here but its not a chip and pin. Weird!

• Witchiepoo
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2006, 06:13:40 PM »
Are you using the US debit card for in-store purchases or just ATM withdrawals?

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2006, 06:14:48 PM »
Both. But when I use it in a store I just have to sign for it.
I am with Bank of America Military Bank by the way.

• Witchiepoo
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2006, 06:26:30 PM »
I'd have to ask hubby to verify, but I suspect that there will come a time that vendors will no longer accept signature-only cards.

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2006, 08:49:45 PM »
As a student, because my College Residence Officer could confirm my residence status, I got a credit card and a debit card within a week of being at Uni!!!  Natwest made it dead easy and now I'm all set when I move here in September.  They told me I can just keep the card till it expires (which is like '08) and I do not have to do anything further.  I guess I didn't realize how easy it would be because I'm a student. 

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2006, 09:09:31 AM »
Only being here for 7 days now, and using my US debit/credit card.... only place that questioned me and said "we cant use your card" was the Pet supply place (forget the chain name), but he went and asked his manager and he said you HAVE to swip cards that have no chip/pin.  No problems at John Lewis/Ikea/Sainsburys/B & Q.

If the country decides that NO store can accept a card without it, how can travellers come here and not use their foreign credit cards?  This bugs me!  I know it was passed for security purposes to benefit the card holder and store against fraud, but come on!!!!!!  BAH!

Oh and I couldnt get cash out of Sainsburys ATM's.  or the little ATM's in the small corner market.  Had to walk down to HSBC and use the machine there.  Kinda freaky feeling when you cant access your money in a foreign country!!! ???

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2006, 07:25:25 AM »
Both. But when I use it in a store I just have to sign for it.
I am with Bank of America Military Bank by the way.

How do you know it is chip and pin?  My US credit cards have PINs for use in cash machines, but I assumed they wouldn't work in the chip and pin machines in shops since the cashiers never ask me to use those machines; they just print out slips for me to sign.

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2006, 10:26:33 AM »
How do you know it is chip and pin? My US credit cards have PINs for use in cash machines, but I assumed they wouldn't work in the chip and pin machines in shops since the cashiers never ask me to use those machines; they just print out slips for me to sign.

Most US credit cards, even if they have a PIN for making cash withdrawals, do not have the chip.  Machines read the stripe on the back.  The only US credit card I've ever seen with an actual chip was Blue from American Express, and it was never activated.  They probably planned to get onto the Chip and PIN bandwagon, but once it became apparent that other US credit cards were not following suit, they probably bagged the idea.  I just received a renewed Amex card yesterday and the Chip is now gone.
Bored

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2006, 09:54:07 PM »
 :-[ I am so upset reading all of this. I am very glad it was easy for all of you to get credit cards, but I moved the Liverpool about a year ago and have 3 different bank accounts-- HSBC, Halifax, RBS--, but no one will give me a credit card or a mortgage!!!!!!!!!! I have even talked to the credit agencies and had to obtain copies of my credit report to open an account with Halifax. I do not know what to do, I have a salaried job at a University, and I pay all my bills on time, but nothing helps! Any Advice?? PLEASE HELP!

• Conservative for the moral good of mankind
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2006, 09:58:05 PM »
working in a shop I can tell you that we can accept cards that don't have chip and pin.  Because there are still some American express cards that don't have it as well as foreign cards all we have to do is stick the card in the chip and pin machine and it tells us to swipe it.  Then we have the customer sign for it.  So stores should still be able to take it.   I am not sure why they refused you.
"Be completely humble and patient, bearing with one another in love"  Ephesians 4:2

"All that is necessary for evil to win the world is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab