Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Credit Cards.....  (Read 1758 times)

• Liked: 0
UK Credit Cards.....
« on: June 19, 2006, 02:09:11 PM »
Okay, so I know I cannot get a credit card in the UK, but my husband can and would like to get one and have me as an additional card holder (which we can do I think).
So, we are looking at a credit card to get and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions.  Mostly we are looking to use it to build up credit for when we decide to buy a house.  My husband has no credit so the company we are looking for is one that would take people that have little or no credit.  Any suggestions??

• Liked: 8
Re: UK Credit Cards.....
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 02:55:26 PM »
I got a store card first and used that credit to apply for a credit card in my own name with no problems.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 02:57:25 PM »
We got offered a card at HSBC when we opened our account, and my hubby didn't have any UK credit.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 03:11:49 PM »
After I'd had my current account at Halifax for 6 months they offered me a credit card.

If you can somehow qualify for an AmEx, get a British Airways one and rack up airmiles! I recently got one with a very good interest rate by transfering a balance.

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 03:44:18 PM »
EggCard seems to market to people who have not-so-good credit ratings, so perhaps they'll be willing to issue cards to people with no credit history, as well?  I applied for an EggCard in my husband's name, which they issued no problem, and I am an additional cardholder.

When I opened a current account at HSBC, they asked if I wanted a credit card (to which I happily responded "yes!"), and they issued me one without a problem.  At first, it had only a £500 limit, but it was better than nothing.

I also have credit with Freeman's, which is a mail-order catalogue company.  I'm sure that helps to build credit, as well.
Bored

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 04:05:42 PM »
I can only repeat what others have said, but I was offered a card from HSBC when I opened a current account and savings account.  It only had a £1000 limit.  I did open the account as a work permit holder with letters of reference and salary gauranteees, so that may have helped. 

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 04:36:07 PM »
I was able to get a credit card with a decent credit limit with HSBC when I opened a current and savings account.  I even ask them last month to double my credit limit and they had not problem doing it.

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 06:06:32 PM »
I was able to be a additional card user on my husbands Credit card accounts with no problem.  I opened my own checking account at Barclays, at first I was given a visa Electron card with a small overdraft with no problems.  I went in this week to ask some questions about my sole checking account, I was offered an upgrade to a Additions Plus account a couple grand overdraft and a £20,000 loan, I was shocked!!  So, you can build up your credit here in the UK and within a short time.

You may want to try Capital one for a visa card.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 06:43:45 PM »
like the US, you have to be careful which card you get if you use it overseas a lot (in europe or the US or anywhere else). i initially had a natwest visa (bank with natwest), but it was charging crazy amounts to use the card in Europe.  so i switched to nationwide. 

never used uswitch.com for this purpose (only gas & home phone), but they do have a credit card comparison bit...
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 06:52:49 PM »

I had posted a long time ago about my troubles getting a current account with Barclays. I finally got one when I was able to show my address on a utility bill and an offer letter from work. I was given an offshore account because I had been in the UK less than six months. With that current account, I got a debit/credit card and at the same time got a visa credit card. Not sure if that will help anyone but thought I would mention it. Maybe requesting an off shore account makes things a little easier?

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 08:13:26 PM »
EggCard seems to market to people who have not-so-good credit ratings, so perhaps they'll be willing to issue cards to people with no credit history, as well?  I applied for an EggCard in my husband's name, which they issued no problem, and I am an additional cardholder.

When I opened a current account at HSBC, they asked if I wanted a credit card (to which I happily responded "yes!"), and they issued me one without a problem.  At first, it had only a £500 limit, but it was better than nothing.

I also have credit with Freeman's, which is a mail-order catalogue company.  I'm sure that helps to build credit, as well.

How long have you been here?  Everytime I ask about a credit card I'm told I have to be here for one year first.

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 08:28:11 PM »
Well, I applied online for a credit card with capital one.  Obviously they didn't approve me online, so I should get a letter in 10 or so days.  I'm sure I'll be denied, but at least I'll be able to use that for my ILR proof :P

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 08:41:57 PM »
How long have you been here?  Everytime I ask about a credit card I'm told I have to be here for one year first.

Since September of last year.  There is no set rule that you have to be here for one year.  I had my own UK credit card within 2 months.  (That's the one through my bank.)

Why not have your husband apply for cards and name you as an additional cardholder?  Many credit card applications ask if you'd like to add an additional cardholder at no additional charge.  All they ask is usually the additional cardholder's name and sometimes date of birth.

It's doubtful that you'll be able to fulfill the requirements on your own for a generic online credit card application once they see that you don't have an established history of addresses in the UK.
Bored

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 10:01:59 PM »
Since September of last year.  There is no set rule that you have to be here for one year.  I had my own UK credit card within 2 months.  (That's the one through my bank.)

Why not have your husband apply for cards and name you as an additional cardholder?  Many credit card applications ask if you'd like to add an additional cardholder at no additional charge.  All they ask is usually the additional cardholder's name and sometimes date of birth.

It's doubtful that you'll be able to fulfill the requirements on your own for a generic online credit card application once they see that you don't have an established history of addresses in the UK.

That's what we plan on doing anyway.  I just thought I'd try to see what happens.  At least I can use the letter for my ILR :)

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 08:04:52 AM »
That's what we plan on doing anyway.  I just thought I'd try to see what happens.  At least I can use the letter for my ILR :)

Definitely go for it!  Good luck!   :)
Bored

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab