Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Overdraft  (Read 1421 times)

Re: Overdraft
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 10:00:28 AM »
yup stuz, big difference between "overdraft" in the US and here in the UK!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2006, 10:04:22 AM »
I think some people on here are confusing "overdrawing" their account with using their overdraft.  If your account has an authorised overdraft, it's fine to use it.  If it doesn't, and you overdraw your account, that does look bad if you continually do it, and you'll be charged fees.

Thanks. Its just that banking practices are so different over here. (at least from what I have experienced so far) I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't hurt us to use the authorised overdraft that the bank gave us.

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 02:57:33 PM »
The bank *want* you to use it!
(so they can charge you interest on what you use!)  :)

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 05:29:54 PM »
oh, yeah, I was talking about overdrawing a US bank account (where normally you don't get an "overdraft.")  I know it's different in the UK and if I ever get a bank account in the UK with an included overdraft I wouldn't have any qualms about using it if I needed to :)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Fight On!
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 02:59:55 AM »
I think you only get the good overdraft if you have established (good) credit, just like a credit card.  To the OP - Maybe talk to your bank about getting "overdraft" protection.  THere is nothing more annoying than going £5 under and being charged £20.

I would've thought so, but my husband and I have a £500 overdraft and no established credit here in the UK (except a BT phone line that we've had for about a month.)  ??? I was actually totally confused by this.

Sponsored Links