Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: U.S. gets access to worldwide banking data  (Read 729 times)

• My Girl
  • Liked: 0
U.S. gets access to worldwide banking data
« on: June 23, 2006, 11:25:14 AM »
I saw this story on Yahoo! this morning.  First it was our phone calls back to the states, now this.  Next they will be opening our mail....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060623/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/treasury_terrorist_financing_10;_ylt=Asqrl1WnQgGsILkKAjTTMo1g.3QA
"He (Bush) says we are at war on terror, but that is a metaphor, though I doubt if he knows what that means. It's like having a war on dandruff, it's endless and pointless." - Gore Vidal

• Liked: 36
Re: U.S. gets access to worldwide banking data
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 12:05:17 PM »
Although it sounds like James Bond stuff - I think that surveillance of this kind has been going on for decades. Nowadays, most companies have techniques and processes and abilities to monitor client/customer data quite easily. Of course, within the law, data protection act etc keeps that data of ours safe and the world goes about it's day .. 

every now and again, a little snippet of info such as this pops out and people have a little 'im shocked' attack..   fine I understand we all dont want our private financial dealings, data, mail, correspondence, phone calls etc etc monitored but it's wrong to think you should be exempt or 'shocked' that it happens!

The last part of your message where you said 'next they'll be opening our mail' well, when it comes to email - they already do! and have been doing so for quite a while! Every email message sent to/from the UK at some point will pass through the publicly known about 'secret' GCHQ organisation run by the government. They have the ability to choose who to monitor if their special processes 'flag' up a possible issue/problem/suspect/traffic.

I'm sure in any quiet times, the monitoring staff there as well as any large company will have read/seen personal stuff and had a good old laugh at what they've seen/read!

Big Brother is watching..  and has been doing so for ages!!

Dennis! West London & Slough UK!

• My Girl
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 01:48:59 PM »
Dennis,

Thanks, but I don't think most of us are "shocked" by this - at least I wasn't.  I merely thought it was an interesing article that reminds us all that yes - we are in fact being watched.   While I agree that it has gone on since the days of J. Edgar (and beyond), it has gotten worse since 9/11 and I don't see it getting better any time soon. 
"He (Bush) says we are at war on terror, but that is a metaphor, though I doubt if he knows what that means. It's like having a war on dandruff, it's endless and pointless." - Gore Vidal

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 08:56:12 PM »
I think it is reprhensible that any government feels that they have the right to examine personal data....big brother is coming....

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 09:14:35 PM »
big brother is coming....

it's already here!  under the guise of 'public security' of course.  give us your civil liberties, and in return we'll keep you safe from those big, bad terrorists.

Sponsored Links