Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving to London Need to Find Legal Admin Work  (Read 555 times)

• Liked: 0
Moving to London Need to Find Legal Admin Work
« on: June 15, 2005, 07:20:37 AM »
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum.  I have been up so late every night reading all of your helpful posts.  Well, I am a twenty something single female moving to London from the US on an HSMP visa.  As expected of moving to any country, I am going to need a full time job fairly soon.  I have 7 years of experience in the legal field as a paralegal, legal assistant, and executive.  I also hold a US law degree.  All the experience I hold is with US law firms.  How realistic will it be for me to secure a job in the legal field?  I know that there are US law firms in the UK, but how skeptical will the UK firms be in interviewing an American with no UK law experience?

I know that the agencies are the safe bet for me to get my foot in the door.  So far, I have contacted Hudson, GR Law, and Lawson Clark.  Can someone tell me if they have had pos/neg experiences with these agencies and maybe suggest some more? 

I am really scared and nervous to make this move on my own, without knowing a single soul in the UK.  I know that this is a big risk/gamble, but I feel like this is the step in the right direction as it has been my lifelong dream to live in the UK. 

Thank you for all your helpful posts and I hope that someone has some encouraging words and advice for me.

An American Werewolf in London...............

Re: Moving to London Need to Find Legal Admin Work
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 08:14:08 AM »
Hi there.  Just wanted to say welcome to the forum.  I'm afraid I don't know anything about the kind of agencies you are contacting.  But I wanted to let you know that you came to the right place to meet new people in the UK.  Many of us came here not knowing anyone as well. (I knew my husband that's about it)  It's scary, but it does get easier and I've made a lot of great friends here, many of whom are from this forum.

We are planning a girls night out at the end of June (Wow, next week) but are going to start planning one in July as well.  When will you be arriving?

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 03:01:32 AM »
Stacey,

Thank you.  I would love to meet up with you all, but I will not be there until September.  If your get togethers are pretty standard, I would love to get together for sure when I arrive.  Let me know if you have a date to meet in September.  I am so nervous.

An American Werewolf in London...............

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 08:35:54 PM »
londonitis I am in the same boat as you.  I am a recent graduate of an American law school, am looking for work, and don't know anyone in England.  Maybe we could PM each other to exchange notes.  I don't have the firm experience you have, but that could be a great advantage for you.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 10:13:06 PM »
If you are moving to London pick up a TNT magazine when you arrive - it's a free mag you will find it all over central London - anyway all the big agencies advertise in there, especially those concentrating on law & finance.  The only legal recruiter I can think of off the top of my head is Badenoch & Clark.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab