Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Help with electricity choices  (Read 4431 times)

• Liked: 1892
Re: Help with electricity choices
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 03:39:44 PM »
I don't have a BRP.  ;D

You and me both!  Tough as nails we are.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 04:36:24 PM »
You and me both!  Tough as nails we are.

Brazen!  ;D

• Liked: 768
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 04:44:00 PM »
Oh yeah. I forgot about that. Didn't realize it would be that much extra work just to get your provisional.
I don't have a BRP.  ;D

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 677
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2018, 05:19:47 PM »
Bastard step-child. And a ginger, at that!  ;) ;D

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 02:57:26 PM »
Lol. No.

We figured out our carrier is British Gas BUT it was still under the councils account.  (Used to be temporary homeless council flat YEARS ago)

So we have to wait for a letter through the post confirming the account is now in my husband's name before we can switch.

Is anything easy here?

So, I'm curious. Did you get your electricity sorted out?

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 03:38:55 PM »

So, I'm curious. Did you get your electricity sorted out?
Guess who has ignored my requests to sort it? And who is now on the phone sorting it. Lol.

I was giving him the opportunity to take care of it (man of the house. Lol) But I just had to put my foot down.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »
Guess who has ignored my requests to sort it? And who is now on the phone sorting it. Lol.

I was giving him the opportunity to take care of it (man of the house. Lol) But I just had to put my foot down.

Be prepared that they are going to want to give you a smart meter. I don't know how you feel about that but make sure you do your research before agreeing to it.

• Liked: 720
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2018, 03:55:36 PM »
Be prepared that they are going to want to give you a smart meter. I don't know how you feel about that but make sure you do your research before agreeing to it.

If the company doesn’t offer a 2nd generation smart meter then I would insist on a regular meter since the 1st generation meters, although they work well enough, may not be compatible with all suppliers so will prove to be a restriction when switching to cheaper suppliers in future.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/smart-meters/article/smart-meters-explained/getting-a-smart-meter-installed

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2018, 04:00:27 PM »
We requested a smart meter.

They are coming out on Thursday to remove the old pay meter to install something new then we get a smart meter. Idk, I stopped paying attention. 

• Liked: 720
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2018, 04:28:15 PM »

They are coming out on Thursday to remove the old pay meter to install something new then we get a smart meter. Idk, I stopped paying attention. 

I think you will like the convenience of a smart meter, let us know how you get on with it. I am quite eager to get one but the suppliers in our area have not yet started installing the 2nd gen meters, should begin in October so next time we switch suppliers might be the time we do it. While we were away for 2 weeks in June our son was checking our mail and found  a card one day saying that the supplier needed to do an actual reading instead of me entering the readings each month. The card gave a date and time that the meter reader would come so my son called and explained that we were away, and he was working on the date given. The company asked him to read the meters, write the results on the card and put it somewhere for them to collect. He did this and now when I log onto my account I can see all my readings marked as estimated reading and the month my son read the meters marked as actual reading. What a joke.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2018, 04:50:21 PM »
Yeah, the meters are easier for me to read. But I switched from SSE and the new vendor can't read them remotely.  ::)

I still do use the little gizmo in the hallway to see how much I've used towards my target on a given day, which is helpful. Not that I'm going to change my usage, but it's nice to know.

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2018, 10:59:46 PM »

Well, hopefully the bills won't be as painful!

• Liked: 154
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2018, 09:38:13 PM »
I think you will like the convenience of a smart meter, let us know how you get on with it. I am quite eager to get one but the suppliers in our area have not yet started installing the 2nd gen meters, should begin in October so next time we switch suppliers might be the time we do it. While we were away for 2 weeks in June our son was checking our mail and found  a card one day saying that the supplier needed to do an actual reading instead of me entering the readings each month. The card gave a date and time that the meter reader would come so my son called and explained that we were away, and he was working on the date given. The company asked him to read the meters, write the results on the card and put it somewhere for them to collect. He did this and now when I log onto my account I can see all my readings marked as estimated reading and the month my son read the meters marked as actual reading. What a joke.

We had one but switched providers and they don’t use them yet. To be honest, we never turned the little device on.

We on,y have electric no gas, didn’t realise how expensive it is till we moved here.

I work in utilities and as a general rule of thumb I would always select your fixed rate because they then can’t jack up prices ( which they will be doing soon if they’ve not already done so).

You’ll always have your fixed/standing charge it covers costs like maintenance to the meters and meter readers.

They should be able to use your monthly readings as actuals, and in fact it’s best for you to provide them monthly. Causes you to not have a “catch up” bill from when they under estimated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links