Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: EU Right to Movement immigration path? (UK)  (Read 2304 times)

• We're working on it, okay? :)
  • Liked: 0
Re: EU Right to Movement immigration path? (UK)
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2007, 05:43:43 PM »
I'd still love to see the info.  I'd be happy to get together information if someone will tell me what it is I'm supposed to be gathering...?  ::)
"It's different this time!  Last time she was demanding and possessive,
now she wants me to do stuff and be with her all the time!"
Fry (Futurama)

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
I'd still love to see the info.  I'd be happy to get together information if someone will tell me what it is I'm supposed to be gathering...?  ::)

Can you do a broad-brush site review of the new BIA site?  About 1 1/2 - 2 pages, addressing continuity, style, quality, English usage, navigability, response time, and all the other various stuff that goes into such a review?  I can't seem to find one ANYWHERE. 

Probably people are still working on it.

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2007, 06:23:54 PM »
Well, I'd be happy to do one, but would have to largely gather information by interview from people who are familiar with the differences between BIA and what's gone before (I'm assuming there was an old Home Office site?), as I am not personally familiar with the history of the agencies and websites involved.  (I think I've mentioned that I've only started this researching up recently.)  Deadline?  Preferred format, maybe some examples?  Are there other reports that are available to give me a sort of styleguide?  Do you use an overall styleguide?
Fry (Futurama)

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2007, 06:32:07 PM »
The old site was a Banyan tree on steriods. 

Some info here http://www.londonelegance.com/transpondia/gov/hosites.html, but more interesting is the new site taken tabula rasa.

For all the other stuff, you can invite people to PM you if they are interesting in joining the effort.

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2007, 06:54:07 PM »
Okay, I have four other writing projects on deadline, but can take this one on shortly.  Will PM you directly later today (probably your evening), Garry, to get more information (such as what organization I'm writing this for, who the audience is, style guide issues, etc.) after I get some other work done!
Fry (Futurama)

« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2007, 08:20:39 PM »
Is the Singh ruling applicable to married partners only, or can unmarried partners take advantage of it too? 

I have found the postings on this thread to be extremely useful.  Many thanks for your help. 

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2007, 11:58:32 PM »
I believe it's married or registered/civil partners only...but Vicky or Garry are probably the ones who can best comment on that...
Fry (Futurama)

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2007, 12:30:19 PM »
The rules for unmarried partners are provenanced in the UK, separately from the EU community.  When they are doing anything they can think of to stop married people from using the loophole, there is no way in hell they are going to allow unmarried partners to use it.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2007, 03:06:42 PM »
I'm not so sure about that......

The UK has their own definition of a 'family unit' which they pass on to their interpretation of EEA law, so when an EEA national wants to bring in their UP they are treated as a married couple, providing they can show two years of cohabitation.  I think it would be difficult to single out the Singh provision as one where they don't recognise UP's.  But I can't say for sure.

Garry, I prefer it when we agree  :\\\'(

Vicky

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2007, 03:11:28 PM »
Garry, I prefer it when we agree  :\\\'(

Huh?  About which thing do we disagree?

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2007, 08:50:04 PM »
So...when do the rest of us non-management types get to find out what catch-22s there might be about the accessing the long-term marriage provision?  Or should I start another thread somewhere about that?
Fry (Futurama)

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2007, 09:31:33 PM »
So...when do the rest of us non-management types get to find out what catch-22s there might be about the accessing the long-term marriage provision?  Or should I start another thread somewhere about that?

I'll summarise- basically the catch-22 is...under these new rules you have to go the UK to take the Life in the UK test prior to a settlement application based on a long term relationship.  When you arrive at the port of entry (or when you apply for a visit visa in the case of visa nationals), what if the IO/ECO doesn't want to let you in because coming to the UK to take the Life in the UK shows "intent to settle"?  Will they distinguish "intent to settle illegally" versus "intent to settle after proper permissions are granted"?

It would really, really suck if a prospective ILE applicant was required to take a test for their application that's only offered in the UK, but they can't get into the UK to take the test *because* they intend to make this application.  Catch-22.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2007, 09:59:17 PM »
Aha.  Yes, what we sort of talked about in #28 and #29.  And do we have any answers on how to do that yet?  Statements from the Home Office or the BIA?  Somehow, I just know you're going to say "no", aren't you?   ;D  Thanks, Andrea, I can hardly wait to see the how to on this one...!
Fry (Futurama)

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2007, 03:46:39 PM »
Er...and if I can help with the how to, someone please let me know.  (Didn't want you to think I was just sitting back waiting for someone else to do all the work for me!)
Fry (Futurama)

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2007, 04:55:56 PM »
Er...and if I can help with the how to, someone please let me know.  (Didn't want you to think I was just sitting back waiting for someone else to do all the work for me!)

The how-to guide definitely needs to be done.

I have made an enquiry (via Transpondia) at the Immigration Service as to how it should be declared in the landing interview.  They replied stating that it is illegal and the person would get bounced.   ::)

Obviously the two agencies have some catching up to do.  And we have some homework to do.

Jeez...  After all the crap we went through to persist the rule...  Sometimes this can get FRUSTRATING!   >:(

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab