Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: begining to worry about the money issue  (Read 1131 times)

• I love you like a fat kid loves cake!
    • facebook
  • Liked: 0
begining to worry about the money issue
« on: April 24, 2007, 01:04:35 PM »
so in 9 months we will be applying for the spousal visa, for my hubby to join me here in March 08 after he gets out the US military. I cant believe it is only 9 months away, time has really flown

I have some questions the main one being about money.

I have my own home (mortgaged) a good job, teaching on a permanent contract, can show i can support myself, however i don't have much savings. My hubby will be coming here and hopefully if accepted attending university ( fees funded by the GI bill)

Is it me who has to show i can support my husband?

Is it my husband who has to show he can support himself?

Or a mixture of both? ( i get confused after originally planning for me to go to US rules are different and i think i have muddled them up lol!!
)

Has anyone managed to get a spousal visa and had a minimal amount of savings, because this is begining to worry me quite a bit.

It would not have bothered me 6 months ago, however my sister basically helped herself to my cash (too long of a story to go into, plus it just upsets me, thats why i have not been on for a while as i have had to sit back and reassess some things)

The last question is, with us knowing that he wants to attend university do we put this on the spousal visa application, will it go against us, he knows he will have to work as well. This whole process has me worried now it is getting nearer the time to apply. ???

Sharon-UK

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: begining to worry about the money issue
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 01:35:33 PM »
The funds can be a mixture of both.

Work out a budget on the assumption he doesn't work and submit this with the application.

Most of my clients don't have savings and get approved.

Vicky

• facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 01:38:46 PM »
The funds can be a mixture of both.

Work out a budget on the assumption he doesn't work and submit this with the application.

Most of my clients don't have savings and get approved.

Vicky

Thankyou for the quick reply Vicky.

I was thinking off adding a budget, but will definitely do it now.
Sharon-UK

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 02:44:15 PM »
I was thinking off adding a budget, but will definitely do it now.

For the very best results from preparing a budget, peg the outflows to the ONS numbers.  And then say so in a footnote. This improves both quality and credibility.

• facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 02:48:41 PM »
, peg the outflows to the ONS numbers. 

I am stupid sometimes, but what does this mean lol!
Sharon-UK

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 03:01:25 PM »
ONS - Office for National Statistics.  They have stats on the cost of living in various parts of the country.

Vicky

• facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 03:13:34 PM »
Thanks Vicky, i found on the ONS where it says the average family spends £443 per week, but nothing for Manchester. Even so i don't think i spend that a week as i live very frugally lol
Sharon-UK

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 03:16:38 PM »
Thanks Vicky, i found on the ONS where it says the average family spends £443 per week, but nothing for Manchester. Even so i don't think i spend that a week as i live very frugally lol

hey, I actually happen on the ONS site right now to look up some statistics for work- so far I've found out that the average weekly household expenditure for a household in the North West is £432/wk.  I'll try to find some more stats for you while I'm at it :P
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 03:17:42 PM »
hey, I actually happen on the ONS site right now to look up some statistics for work- so far I've found out that the average weekly household expenditure for a household in the North West is £432/wk.  I'll try to find some more stats for you while I'm at it :P

Thankyou that would be great, i have not used the ONS since i was at college doing my sociology Alevels, how it has changed.lol!
Sharon-UK

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 03:25:20 PM »
whoops my bad- read the website wrong.  the average weekly household expenditure for the North West region is actually £407.50.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 03:28:03 PM »
whoops my bad- read the website wrong.  the average weekly household expenditure for the North West region is actually £407.50.

that sounds even better!!
Sharon-UK

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 04:06:40 PM »

Andrea, this is really helpful info.  Where are you getting this from?  I know it's the ONS, but which figures?

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 04:09:40 PM »
Andrea, this is really helpful info.  Where are you getting this from?  I know it's the ONS, but which figures?

The actual data comes from the Expenditure and Food Survey- I got the NW figure off the "selected key statistics" page ONS has for the region.

Portal page for all regions is here- http://www.statistics.gov.uk/regionalsnapshot/
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 04:12:02 PM by andrea. »
Now a triple citizen!

• facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 04:13:29 PM »
The actual data comes from the Expenditure and Food Survey- I got the NW figure off the "selected key statistics" page ONS has for the region.

Portal page for all regions is here- http://www.statistics.gov.uk/regionalsnapshot/
thanks Andrea, now in my never ending list of bookmarks for the visa app.
Sharon-UK

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 09:09:13 PM »
Interesting that the Home Office would be looking at average income and expenditure, rather than the income that is provided to people living on benefits ??

Benefit rate for an adult couple is only £92.80 per week, plus £47.45 for each dependent child.

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Customers/WorkingAgeBenefits/Incomesupport/index.html

The government must believe that it's possible to survive on those amounts. (Admittedly this does not include things like housing benefit, but it still would have to cover a lot of expenses.)

I think in the US the amount of income you need for a visa is based on a percentage above the poverty level.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 09:13:02 PM by sweetpeach »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab