Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: DISCUSSION: Before you move: Things to really think about  (Read 87584 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
Re: DISCUSSION: Before you move: Things to really think about
« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2019, 08:28:15 AM »
Great topic.

Before officially moving to UK long term, I decided to spend my summer (2.5 months) visiting the UK and exploring as much parts of the country as I could. This sort of cushioned my move of the "great migration" and I felt a little more confident and comfortable because I knew that I was only going to be in the UK for a couple of months. Now I'm ready to make the big move when my visa arrives.

For those of you who don't get to do this, I'd recommend the following:
-Research the place that you'll be living in. Look at forums like this, Google & Wikipedia the town, and ask yourself, is this the place you really want to move to?
-Join meet-ups that have the same interests/hobbies. I don't know where you'll end up, but if you're in a city, you can try meetup.com
-Keep lines of communication open with your loved ones back home. I've opened up an instagram specifically for documenting life in UK. I need every bit of support from folks back home while living abroad.
-Be excited for the magical journey ahead of you! The UK is a beautiful and magic place, far different than my home in California. California - definitely beautiful to some eyes, I've lived here all my life. I'm ready for adventure and UK is calling!

Hope this helps!

Teehee, when this thread started, in 2006!!, google maps was still a baby, far from what we see now. Instagram and Facetime were 4 years away.  Facebook was just getting going in public space in 2006.  And Skype was a toddler, aged 3.  Meetup started in 2002, but really took off around 2004 and probably took a while to get to the UK.  We had UKY though.  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Technology makes life so much easier now  :) :)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #166 on: January 16, 2019, 08:32:54 AM »
Teehee, when this thread started, in 2006!!, google maps was still a baby, far from what we see now. Instagram and Facetime were 4 years away.  Facebook was just getting going in public space in 2006.  And Skype was a toddler, aged 3.  Meetup started in 2002, but really took off around 2004 and probably took a while to get to the UK.  We had UKY though.  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Technology makes life so much easier now  :) :)

It really does!  I take so many services for granted, but good shout.  It wasn't that long ago that these things were invented.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #167 on: April 10, 2019, 01:37:01 PM »
Yes, it is difficult to make friends.  In my experience, people have been exceedingly friendly and helpful since the day we arrived but anything further than that, unless you've been in their lives for a millenia, then they are reluctant to bring you into their circle.  my best (and only) friend here, coincedentally, is Canadian and from my hometown. We didn't really know each other before I moved over.    The only other people I would consider 'friends' are Americans that I've met over here.

absolutely spot on. i've had so many people being friendly to me, but almost never, do they take it any further. can't tell you the number of times I tried to, say, invite someone to meet up for a coffee, and to my face, they are like "oh yes, let's do that" and then they never do it. excuses when you ask them if they are free. that sort of thing. you get used to it. well the sad thing is you stop trying after a while. and there are virtually no other americans where i live. if they are around, they must be in hiding x

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab