Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 25727 times)

• Liked: 6110
Re: How's the weather?
« Reply #375 on: January 21, 2024, 05:00:30 PM »
I hope everyone makes it through the coming storm safely.

« Reply #376 on: January 26, 2024, 09:29:42 AM »
SUN!  ;D

• Liked: 677
« Reply #377 on: January 26, 2024, 04:22:23 PM »
What is this thing you are calling "Sun"?

8) ;) ;)

• Liked: 3596
« Reply #378 on: January 27, 2024, 02:04:06 PM »
I just landed back in the UK from Australia - it was about 38 Celsius in Sydney yesterday, and when we landed at Heathrow at 12:30pm today, it was 6 Celsius !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #379 on: January 27, 2024, 02:08:52 PM »
I just landed back in the UK from Australia - it was about 38 Celsius in Sydney yesterday, and when we landed at Heathrow at 12:30pm today, it was 6 Celsius !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome home!  :) You're lucky, it's been so much milder this week.  ;)

• Liked: 958
« Reply #380 on: February 06, 2024, 10:08:51 AM »
Read about the atmospheric river in California last night. @Nan D. I hope your daughter is managing okay and safe. And any UKY family out there.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

« Reply #381 on: February 08, 2024, 06:11:44 PM »
Read about the atmospheric river in California last night. @Nan D. I hope your daughter is managing okay and safe. And any UKY family out there.

She's fine, thanks.  One of the most important things we looked at when finding her a place to live was safety - not subject (more than anyone else) to mudslides, wildfire, or flooding, and being on transport routes, near a grocery store, and in a "safe" neighborhood. We were able to get her a place that ticks all the boxes, with the exception that she's overlooking a wooded canyon so the wildfire issue requires some vigilance.  Last week, before the latest round of storms hit, a low-lying part of town had bad flash floods - several dozen families have pretty much lost everything. Of course, they are in the situation where they were too poor to pay for Federal flood insurance premiums and drove old cars with just liability insurance, so they are really hurting. I feel so sorry for them!  But the daughter, aside from health stuff going on, is fine. Thanks for the good wishes, though.

« Reply #382 on: March 24, 2024, 01:56:40 PM »
Wow, hard to believe it was 21C a couple of weeks ago!  I woke up to clear blue skies and -9C this morning. It's blinding out there, from the sun on the ice and snow everywhere.  The poor little birds had started nesting back when it was warm, and now all their food is under 20cm of snow!  (I wonder if they'll eat oatmeal flakes?)

Power has been on and off all over the region from ice taking branches down onto power lines or just taking the lines down under the weight of the ice itself. Ick! I guess that old saying is true:  "If March comes in like a lion it goes out like a lamb, but if it comes in like a lamb it goes out like a lion." (I wonder where that one got started? It certainly is proving true locally here, from what I've seen in the last few years!)

Hoping you have better weather!

• Liked: 958
« Reply #383 on: April 01, 2024, 10:25:34 AM »
Wow, hard to believe it was 21C a couple of weeks ago!  I woke up to clear blue skies and -9C this morning. It's blinding out there, from the sun on the ice and snow everywhere.  The poor little birds had started nesting back when it was warm, and now all their food is under 20cm of snow!  (I wonder if they'll eat oatmeal flakes?)

Power has been on and off all over the region from ice taking branches down onto power lines or just taking the lines down under the weight of the ice itself. Ick! I guess that old saying is true:  "If March comes in like a lion it goes out like a lamb, but if it comes in like a lamb it goes out like a lion." (I wonder where that one got started? It certainly is proving true locally here, from what I've seen in the last few years!)

Hoping you have better weather!
This is standard NY weather. I kinda miss the sunshine on fields of freshly fallen snow.

It's finally starting to be a bit sunnier here, mixed with downpours of course. The hyacinths are blooming now.

« Reply #384 on: April 01, 2024, 10:34:23 PM »
That sounds nice!  I saw a daffodil or two over at the garden this afternoon, but most of them are being more sensible.  It was 50F and just lovely out there today, and I got the chickenwire fence re-set for the year (all but one area where I've got garlic growing and don't want to take the chance of disturbing it). I just took a naproxen and am planning to be really sore tomorrow, as I spent 4 hours out there digging and raking and stuff.  Got home, opened my email to find a Severe Winter Storm Watch has been issued.

Sigh.  Well, it's much too early to plant anything anyway, and I'm glad I got the fences re-sunk (so that the bottom is now a good 6 to 8 inches below the surface to hopefully deter the voles). The rain/sleet/snow will just help compact the soil and get it ready for when I can plant.  I also cleared an area to put some raised beds on. So many earthworms were out today!  I hope they are able to go deep enough to miss the impending snowmageddon!

Sun on snow. I can do without it - it looks lovely for a very short time, and then it just hurts my eyes. Sun is not really my friend. I think I got sunburned today! I forgot that you can get sunburned even on a cloudy day....  ::)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab