Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Reasons You Haven't Relocated Yet?  (Read 3521 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Reasons You Haven't Relocated Yet?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2005, 04:51:03 AM »
Okay so my first time here, but I feel very happy to know there are so many of you in my situation....although I have had absolutely NO luck yet.  I am an American living in the US and my boyfriend lives in the UK.  I am going crazy being away from him and trying to get to him any way I can.  I have been applying to a bigillion jobs online with no luck, even applying within my company and no luck as of yet.  I don't qualify for the Highly skilled migrant programme, and I partied too hard in college which ruined my gpa in the event I ever wanted to apply for graduate school.  Without a work permit I can't get a job, and without a job I can't get a permit.  I am about ready to have a nervous breakdown at 27.  :-[  If anyone knows anything I should be doing, please help!  So...that's why I'm not with him.  For now, we just IM every day, call every day and see each other every 4 months or so for a few weeks at a time.  We're both lonely and sad without eachother.  Help! Thanks in advance :) Anna

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 07:36:17 AM »
ahernand11, what do you do? What's your degree in? I mean, I wouldn't qualify for the highly skilled migrant worker either. I came over here as a teacher. I think if you are a teacher or a nurse, you have a good shot at getting in. You wouldn't happen to be either of those, would you?

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2005, 06:40:37 AM »
Hey there Carla,

Thanks for the reply...just got back from vacation.  Well, my degree is in Biology and unfortunately I am not a teacher or a nurse.  I am a researcher and have had no luck in any avenue I have pursued in the UK.  I would like to take some classes there and be a student but my gpa is pretty bad and I would need to use the financial aid system here to do that so it's just one big mess right now.  I am trying to sort things out and I guess I just hope something opens up soon. 

Thanks for you help.  Hope u had a nice weekend!

ahernand11

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2005, 02:07:46 AM »
we've been together long distance for 2 years 1 month now, averaging a visit every 2 months.  I hAven't relocated quite yet because the wedding isn't scheduled for another 11 months so it's too soon to apply for my fiancee visa.
I have started packing and selling stuff on Ebay though.
Maroon Passport Club!

• Liked: 7
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2005, 05:34:59 PM »
I was finishing a degree in the States and now I am just waiting a few months until my son is out of school for the year. Will be over in June, Thanks goodness! It's been a hard slog to be apart for 2 years.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:
"I will try again tomorrow"

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2005, 05:41:02 PM »
Legal issues having to do with my ex and our children.  Hoping it will all be resolved soon....
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2005, 11:54:16 PM »
Unfortunately, my boyfriend is only 19 and he starts Uni this fall, for a 3 year course *may be 4 if he does a Sandwich course for a year* and then he will find a job after he graduates.. so I have 4 or 5 years to go - unless I can convince him otherwise. I know it will be better to wait until he is done with school and gets a decent or extremely great job and can support us until I can work there. I just got back on April 3rd from visiting him for 3 weeks and he will probably be coming to visit me in the summer and I may go see him in August as his parents invited me back  ;D   So we definitely plan on seeing each other, but once he starts Uni, seeing him will be limited - mostly to breaks and vacations - summer, christmas, easter, etc.  so I've decided that I'm going to try my hardest to get into school because while waiting for him to finish, I can achieve a goal of my own and have a better chance of finding a job **I am thinking about majoring in Primary Education and minoring in Accounting - i know there is an incredible shortage of teachers in the UK** so hopefully everything will work out - I definitely know i love him to death and that he loves me just as much.. right now, its just hard to cope - I find myself having to not think about him on purpose.. but it will all work out in the end  ;)  and if not, then I can just get him to come here and marry me...lol!!!

• Liked: 7
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2005, 12:33:57 AM »
Closet. hippie:
I feel for you. I went through some hoops too. Pm me if you want , I would love to comiserate...
s.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:
"I will try again tomorrow"

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2005, 12:40:56 AM »
In England temporarily now. I can't afford uni here, can't get any other visas, so I have to go back to the states in June.  [smiley=bigcry.gif]  Nevermind that I've totally settled into my life here now. I can't imagine going back to America and doing the same things I did six months ago. I want to stay here! I'm going to finish uni in the states, then try the visa thing again.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2005, 02:52:50 PM »
I'm still here because I have to apply through the Health Professions Council for a license to practice my job in the UK. It is a long and involved form (as well as expensive) and there is no guarantee that I will be approved. If I cannot work there, the move is off and we will have to switch to plan B which looks like DH returning to the states. It is not easy to sit back and wait but not a lot I can do about it.
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab