Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting to know you (again)!  (Read 19185 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Getting to know you (again)!
« Reply #195 on: November 25, 2011, 11:36:28 AM »
Hi everyone!

I did a WW post but thought I would post in here too.

First I wanted to say that in just the few posts I have read so far in here (it's 3am now- so reading more posts will have to come later.  ;)) I feel like I really 'match' with some of you and feel like there's so much in common which is not really something I can say often.
As for my personality, I am an INTJ. I am quiet, soft-spoken, very calm, love to spend time inside my head, and generally come off as aloof to other people. I am very friendly, but I do have my standoffish moments.
I'm also INTJ, as well as quiet and generally soft spoken but not calm. I do come across as standoffish too at times and have no idea why or how.

succumb to a video games (lately, World of Warcraft, eep).
I'm an ex-WoWie- have to say thank goodness those days are over as my addiction was too strong. It's a great game for those that can control themselves- apparently I can't.   ;D

Ok, so me- I live in Washington state. We moved here 2 years ago from living in Colorado for 10 years. I grew up in New Mexico, spending summers in Seattle with my dad. As soon as I could break away I got out of NM as quickly as I could and moved to Oregon with my then boyfriend. We married, had two kids together and moved to WA state where we promptly ended the marriage. It had actually been a long time coming and I still can't believe it took me so long to see the light. Everything happens for a reason, right? So a month after he moved out, I met a great new guy on ICQ. I had been on ICQ for a few months and had met my fair share of truly weird people, so I was not putting a lot of faith into the whole thing and given I had just ended my marriage and was still legally married I was not really looking for anything serious.
Fate had other plans- along came this one guy that initially came across as just as cocky as all the others and I almost closed out the chat window from this random guy (ICQ has (or had, I don't know how it is now) a function on it where you could press the random button and it could bring up anyone anywhere in the world- truly had no idea who you could get to chat with), but he redeemed himself quickly by showing some humbleness. We shared pictures pretty soon after starting to talk and dang he was cute! I was sure it would not lead anywhere as he was just so attractive and I was not having very high self esteem myself. Plus he was from Sweden and I was still in WA state and while I was most enthralled by foreigners, I just could not imagine anything actually coming of it. 
But we kept talking, and talking more and more as time went on. This was in June, by late July we had decided to meet in person, so he came in September to the US and we spent several weeks together doing some traveling over several states and a bit of Mexico. I personally fell in love but not so sure he was quite there yet. He's very reserved and timid and very down to earth so in his mind he assumed things very differently than me who is reserved and timid but very much not down to earth.
The night before he was to leave- with no plans to see one another again- I tried my best to get him to stay. Sounds desperate doesn't it? I guess it sort of was, it was really just fear that we would not see each other again.
But the day after he left he asked if he could come back for Christmas!
So we spent Christmas alone together (my kids were due to be with their Dad) and it was amazing.
That visit was only for 2 weeks, so once again he had to leave.
I went to visit him in Sweden in February and then the kids and I went in April and stayed with him for 3 months. He came back to the US with us for a couple weeks and then returned to Sweden to quit his job, sell everything and came back for good in October.
We married in December and 9 months (to the day of our wedding) later our first child together was born. We had moved to Colorado before she was born. Three years later we had our second child together.
DH has been my first two children's father basically since we met. He's done everything for them and is now the only father either of them have as their biological father has basically nothing to do with them and has not for quite some time now.
My oldest is now 18 (boy) and figuring out how to find his way in the world.
The other 3 children are 14 (girl) (almost 15 and going on 25), 11 (girl) and 8 (boy).
This has turned out to a very long post (sorry).
In general I like to read, travel, bake (when I have some peace), cross stitch, puzzles, I love my alone time. I definitely know I don't fit in the US.
Currently doing what I can to find a way to make the move that has been a long time coming. A little lost and confused about it all, how to make it happen, and how to make it happen while keeping everyone happy. These things are hard when you are sort of the only one truly on board in a family.

9/11/2012 Husband mailed his US citizenship application.
9/17/2012 Received e-mail stating his application has been entered into the system.
9/22/2012 Hubby received letter with date for finger printing.
10/12/12 Hubby went for finger printing.
10/26/12 Dh got a letter stating when he should appear for his interview and test- 11/27/12- just a month away!!!
11/27/12 We went to dh's interview and test- he passed and we went back 4 hours later for the Oath Ceremony! 95 people from 38 countries, really pretty cool!
So he's now a US citizen!!

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #196 on: December 17, 2011, 10:15:35 PM »
Hey now,

I moved to Cheltenham, England for 1 year in 03/04. I studied at U of Gloucestershire.

Returned home to NY and in summer 2005 I moved to London and lived there until 2009. I was based in Hoxton the entire time.

I worked in the restaurant industry {Giraffe, Tate Britain, Whole Foods & Bodeans BBQ in Soho} and also the yoga world; was assistant manager of Bikram Yoga/City and did a bit of time at TriYoga. I received my yoga teacher certification at the Sivananda Ashram in Orleans, France.

It was very difficult to acclimate to the weather. The sun is my battery and I prefer it to be hot & humid. I had a SAD lamp and also took Vitamin D & St Johns Wort; didn't help much. Looking back, that was the biggest hardship for me. Anything else that was a challenge for me at the time doesn't compare for me. I would do many things differently if I lived there now, learning from my previous negative thoughts and actions.

It will be 3 years this coming April that I have been home in NY. I very much miss the European lifestyle. I miss my friends. I miss paid holiday time, maternity laws {I don't have children} & access to the NHS. I miss being able to travel somewhere in 2hrs and be surrounded in a completely new culture.

I love Brooklyn and it will always be my soul home. I enjoy my life here but I do crave what I used to have in London. I have thought about going back for a few years & moving onto the Mediterranean which was my original plan when I first moved to London. I regret not obtaining my UK citizenship.

Looking forward to beingapart of the community again. Warm blessings  [smiley=smitten.gif]

Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

« Reply #197 on: July 06, 2012, 07:00:59 PM »
Hi, my name is Anna and I discovered this site by accident while goggling information about moving to the UK.  I met my boyfriend on an online gaming site and it was love at first site, even though we haven't met in person yet.  We talk on the phone regularly and we feel we are soul mates.  He has asked me to move there after Christmas and marry him which I plan on doing.  My only concern is leaving my two teenage daughters behind....my ex-husband and I share 50/50 custody. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this and what is needed for me to move there...I do have a job lined up already.

Thanks

• Liked: 1
« Reply #198 on: July 08, 2012, 03:18:17 PM »
Hi, my name is Anna and I discovered this site by accident while goggling information about moving to the UK.  I met my boyfriend on an online gaming site and it was love at first site, even though we haven't met in person yet.  We talk on the phone regularly and we feel we are soul mates.  He has asked me to move there after Christmas and marry him which I plan on doing.  My only concern is leaving my two teenage daughters behind....my ex-husband and I share 50/50 custody. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this and what is needed for me to move there...I do have a job lined up already.

Thanks

Welcome to UKY!  :)

No advice on the custody front (you might want to post that question in the Visa section), but regarding moving to England and marrying your boyfriend, one of the requirements for obtaining a Fiance Visa is having met the sponsor. I don't know if you have plans to meet up soon. If you do, ignore me. I just don't want you to make plans for a Fiance visa and then find out you don't meet the requirements.

« Reply #199 on: February 21, 2019, 03:45:40 AM »
Hi, I'm new here. I was told about this place by DennisTheMenace. So hello.

I'm in the USA and hoping to move to Europe. England is/was my original goal, but I will learn more first.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #200 on: February 21, 2019, 06:36:10 AM »

I'm in the USA and hoping to move to Europe. England is/was my original goal, but I will learn more first.

Hello and welcome!  :)

If you need any visa advice, feel free to ask your questions over here. https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=17.0

• Liked: 533
« Reply #201 on: February 21, 2019, 06:39:10 AM »
Welcome!  I won't hold your association with Dennis against you!
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #202 on: February 21, 2019, 10:07:15 PM »

Welcome :)

Are you the partner of somebody living here or would you be looking to try to move here via a working visa/etc.?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links