Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: No More Excuses - Just Pay Me!  (Read 4467 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: No More Excuses - Just Pay Me!
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 01:59:12 PM »
So it's her construction work that was 3 weeks late being paid; nothing to do with being a Realtor. Understood.

I think part of it is that she's so bad at doing her books. She has a lady who helps her, but she doesn't always let that woman know about all of her charges or that a payment is late. Example: She lost her insurance for her and her youngest child because she forgot to make a payment.  ::)   :-\\\\

But it is a nice family, which is hard to find alot of times when it comes to being a nanny and she is very understanding whenever my mom needs a day off.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

• London Pet Butler
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 02:15:31 PM »
I think part of it is that she's so bad at doing her books. She has a lady who helps her, but she doesn't always let that woman know about all of her charges or that a payment is late. Example: She lost her insurance for her and her youngest child because she forgot to make a payment.  ::)   :-\\\\

But it is a nice family, which is hard to find alot of times when it comes to being a nanny and she is very understanding whenever my mom needs a day off.

Good to hear there's no hanky-panky with slow pay there. And, yes, nice people can make all the difference. I once wrote a check from the wrong account and -- horrors -- it bounced. I was so embarassed I drove across town to hand-deliver cash to the lady who cleans my house along with the bank charges, which she was too gracious to wask for. (Why should she wait for it to come in the mail, or waste petrol on an extra trip when it was my fault?) She was very gracious about it and still cleans my house. That was 5 years ago.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 05:56:56 PM »
Ask yourself if it is worth the hassle to chase.

My husband had a problem with a client (he is a web designer) who has not paid him since December.

He has sent many emails asking for money, and they constantly gave excuses.

They sent him a cheque with the name of the company mis-spelled so he couldn't cash it.

Then a few days ago, he received a cheque without a signature  ::)

He decided that it is not worth spending another minute of his time dealing with this; the time he spends typing an email asking for payment is time that he could spend developing his business in a constructive way.

So he has turned off their website and has sent them an email telling them to never contact him again.

The thing is, if they had been honest with him about any money problems instead of stalling him and sending him bad cheques my husband might have worked  out an arrangment with them.

• London Pet Butler
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 06:08:48 PM »
I suspect that's exactly what the OP's agency is hoping she'll do; just go away. It may or may not be worth it. But it sounded like it's a good deal of money. If that's the case, I'd think carefully before I simply gave up.

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 06:36:27 PM »
Banks set their own policies on post-dated cheques. Some banks attempt to clear them, some return them. (Writing post dated cheques is a violation of many banks' customer agreements.)

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 01:23:57 PM »
Some banks will also clear misspelt names...we get this a lot.

Whether it is worth chasing depends on the amount owed.  We've been known to write off the odd £50, but if you are talkign about £200 up then no way!  Especially if we know they can afford it.

Vicky

• Liked: 163
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 01:30:55 PM »
Whether it is worth chasing depends on the amount owed.  We've been known to write off the odd £50, but if you are talkign about £200 up then no way!  Especially if we know they can afford it.

It's a lot more than £200, and the director of the company and the manager I'm dealing with bought new cars this year.  The director's car cost £76,000 (he told everyone), so I'm fairly certain he can afford it.   ;)

For those of you interested in how all this turns out, they still haven't paid me.  The excuses I've gotten thus far are:

- We haven't been paid by the client.
- We're getting hurt by the credit crunch.
- The check is in the mail.

I'm going out of town tomorrow, and I won't be surprised if I still haven't been paid when I get back, at which point I think it'll be time to write them off.

I appreciate everyone's advice.

Carl

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 06:27:45 PM »
That really sucks Camoscato. Did you get paid yet?

I wouldn't let it slide. You should tighten the screws on them (take them to court and sue them for what you are owed, plus interest, plus court costs and solicitor fees). It's bad enough that your business relationship with them has gone down the tubes (that's their own fault), but don't let it be a total lose by writing off that money and of course letting them get away with it! At the end of the day, that money is your bread and butter and you shouldn't be letting them dick you around like that. It becomes more about principle than the money.
Democrats and Republicans - fiddling while Rome burns.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2008, 11:22:09 PM »
Hi JM,

Thus far, they've paid 2 of the 4 invoices they owed me when I started this thread, and they say they're going to pay the other 2 this week, so this all has a happy, if belated, ending.

adios,
Carl

• London Pet Butler
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 12:54:18 PM »
Glad to hear it Carl.

Sponsored Links