Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: So over it... GA summer  (Read 7296 times)

• Y'all watch out! Here I come.
  • Liked: 9
So over it... GA summer
« on: June 27, 2021, 05:03:04 PM »
I am SO OVER living in GA and the million years long summers. This is my last one, which is making it longer somehow.

I have put the weather for Malvern, where we are moving, on my phone and every once in a while I just check it to get myself through the day.  I remind myself that NEXT SUMMER ON THIS DAY it will get down to 50 at night (maybe; likely), and won't be so steaming hot.

I know it gets hot there sometimes, and that sucks.  But not for 6 straight months.  Weirdly, I ALSO don't like being in the air conditioning. I don't like the extremes. It's 76 in the house and then I go outside and it's 95.  That can't be good for you.  For some reason in winter 65-67 going outside to 40 doesn't seem to bother me as much.

I also love the rain!  Although it rains here, it is still WAY TOO SUNNY.  It rains for like 10 minutes super heavy and then the sun blares down making it wet soup for the rest of the day. No cool breezes, and if there are BE CAREFUL THAT MIGHT BE A TORNADO COMING.  Also no prolonged periods of overcast.  Just bright glaring sun making me tired.

Also, rattlesnakes, poison ivy absolutely everywhere (and I'm gotta-get-a-shot-in-my-butt allergic), and SO MANY FRIGGIN BUGS. Also, how many deer can we hit in a single year?  Wanna place bets?  One already totaled my new car and since we are leaving I opted to not buy another; now sharing my husband's old car until we go.

And I love to hike and live here in my hometown because of the awesome trails, but it becomes intolerable outside due to the ridiculous pollen counts starting in March all the way through mid May, and then it's wet soup.  Once the trees are fully filled in the trails are in deep shade, but still wet soup and snakes and poison ivy.  Hiking doesn't really provide the anxiety relief and mental health boost when you are constantly watching out for stuff that will kill you.

Okay, I might be out of complaints now.  Thanks for listening.
4 December 2005--Met in ATL, Moved in together
July 2006--First visit to the UK, met his Mum
Feb 2007--Eloped and told everyone we were engaged ;)
May 2007--Wedding, Part 1 in Pine Mountain, GA;
Sept 2007--Wedding, Part 2 in Scarborough, UK
Nov ‘08–1st Child
May ‘10–2nd Child
June 2013--Decided to move to the UK!
July 2013-Jan 2016–family tragedies. Delayed move
April ‘15–3rd Child
2019...planning again
January 2022–applying for visa!
Goal: Get Eldest in UK school by year 9!
Hopefully moving to Malvern June 2022

• Liked: 4990
Re: So over it... GA summer
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 06:02:59 PM »
I always laugh when people say this.  I’m wearing a jumper and blanket and had a fire last night.  I MISS SUMMER.

There’s middle ground.  It’s called Colorado and it’s AMAZING!

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 10:04:11 PM »
I always laugh when people say this.  I’m wearing a jumper and blanket and had a fire last night.  I MISS SUMMER.

There’s middle ground.  It’s called Colorado and it’s AMAZING!

I love Colorado and my Native family are all originally from there, but it is still TOO EXTREME.  And I'm truly happy in a Jumper year round.  As my Mama always says, you can always put on more clothes, you can never take off enough. Don't get me wrong, I loved the winter in CO, and the summer was much more tolerable.  But still too hot and too sunny.
Nov ‘08–1st Child
May ‘10–2nd Child
April ‘15–3rd Child
2019...planning again

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 10:26:31 PM »
I love Colorado and my Native family are all originally from there, but it is still TOO EXTREME.  And I'm truly happy in a Jumper year round.  As my Mama always says, you can always put on more clothes, you can never take off enough. Don't get me wrong, I loved the winter in CO, and the summer was much more tolerable.  But still too hot and too sunny.

Trust me, you have to want to wear a jumper year round here, so you are in a great position.  I’ll be curious to see if you book holidays for “warm and Vitamin D” like the rest of us.  I fully admit to leaving just to see if the sun still exists.  ;D

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 10:40:37 PM »
Trust me, you have to want to wear a jumper year round here, so you are in a great position.  I’ll be curious to see if you book holidays for “warm and Vitamin D” like the rest of us.  I fully admit to leaving just to see if the sun still exists.  ;D
Very seriously doubt I'll seek the sun, but we'll see.  The sun causes extreme exhaustion for me and I'm TURNED ON when it's cooler and gray.  When all of my friends are complaining about days on end of rain in the winter, I'm like 'what?  I just redid all my landscaping'. I sleep LESS in the winter, and get energy from cool, crisp air. Maybe it's because half my ancestors are from Ireland and Germany, and the other half are from the Mountains of New Mexico, IDK?  I totally hibernate and get depressed in the summer.
I don't mean I don't get cold, I do!  But I prefer bundling up to sweating. 
I'll be forced to come to GA a couple of times a year to see everyone, and then I also have fam in CO, so ya know, I doubt I'll be seeking sunshine--I'll get it then.
It doesn't hurt that my spouse is a ginger Brit who is also very anti-sunshine/heat, and two of my spawn are pale skinned human radiators.  We all have pale green eyes and hate the sun, lol.
Nov ‘08–1st Child
May ‘10–2nd Child
April ‘15–3rd Child
2019...planning again

• Liked: 1894
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 08:35:14 AM »
I'm TURNED ON when it's cooler and gray. 
  I think you'll like it here.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 01:33:40 PM »
Well we had the heat on, on the 25th June in the Highlands, because it was pouring rain, foggy, actual temp at 48F and felt more like 44F.  Mid-summer!

Move to the Highlands, you'll love it!  ;D
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 70
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 11:04:11 AM »
I'm from GA too.  I don't want GA heat, it's oppressive, but London this "summer" is a laugh.  I'd like to see the sun, to feel it on my skin, to sit outside, for my plants not to be drowning.  Upside is I guess I don't need to change out my closet for summer this year or replace the sunglasses I lost.

If you like wet and overcast, you'll love it here this year!

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 01:44:36 PM »
I'm from GA too.  I don't want GA heat, it's oppressive, but London this "summer" is a laugh.  I'd like to see the sun, to feel it on my skin, to sit outside, for my plants not to be drowning.  Upside is I guess I don't need to change out my closet for summer this year or replace the sunglasses I lost.

If you like wet and overcast, you'll love it here this year!

A fellow American in the U.K. posted on Facebook yesterday asking forgiveness from the universe for saying she couldn’t wait to get away from southern US  summers.

My daughter is learning the constellations in science. I told her we would look at them the next time we are in Florida. She said “oh can we not see them here?”  Me “can’t have clouds”. Too funny that I have NO memories of constellations here.  We REALLY don’t see them! 

• Liked: 70
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 03:35:23 PM »
A fellow American in the U.K. posted on Facebook yesterday asking forgiveness from the universe for saying she couldn’t wait to get away from southern US  summers.

My daughter is learning the constellations in science. I told her we would look at them the next time we are in Florida. She said “oh can we not see them here?”  Me “can’t have clouds”. Too funny that I have NO memories of constellations here.  We REALLY don’t see them! 

So true.  At college in GA we'd go sit in the fields and look up at the stars.  Wearing shorts and t-shirts, naturally.  Here when we see stars we get so excited...and then we rush inside because the few times there's lack of cloud cover it means it's freezing out.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 03:39:02 PM »
We REALLY don’t see them!

Aside from the weather, light pollution is a major issue in the UK, as there are streetlights galore. I live in a rural location though, so we see them , but usually in the deadest of winter, freezing cold nights that have clear skies, so you don't want to stand outside too long!  ;)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 6112
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 05:39:17 PM »
Aside from the weather, light pollution is a major issue in the UK, as there are streetlights galore. I live in a rural location though, so we see them , but usually in the deadest of winter, freezing cold nights that have clear skies, so you don't want to stand outside too long!  ;)

Yes the skies can be beautiful if the conditions are right. :)  I expect up there you can see the Aurora from time to time?  :D

• Liked: 170
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 07:52:20 PM »
Today was el scorchio. I bet it was hotter than 75 (degrees F). Good thing I slathered on the sun screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2021, 09:04:44 PM »
Today was el scorchio. I bet it was hotter than 75 (degrees F). Good thing I slathered on the sun screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky girl!  Cats and dogs were falling from the sky here!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2021, 09:09:59 AM »
Yes the skies can be beautiful if the conditions are right. :)  I expect up there you can see the Aurora from time to time?  :D

Yes!!   ;D
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab