Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visa - Retired Person of Independent Means  (Read 862 times)

• Liked: 0
Visa - Retired Person of Independent Means
« on: February 05, 2008, 05:40:26 PM »
I am looking to retire to Britain, coming on a "Retired Person of Independent Means" Visa.  Has anyone else entered Britain on that Visa?  If there is anyone is in the UK on this Visa, I would appreciate knowing more about it, how difficult it is to get, and how it was when you went through Immigration with that Visa?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 06:53:16 PM by luvbritain »

Re: Visa - Retired Person of Independent Means
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 12:10:50 AM »
There are zillions (well no, not zillions, but plenty) of people in the independent means programme.  There is nothing particularly oblique about it, money talks.

A lot of the people in this category own a house here, but don't stay here during the winter (can't imagine why), so although they *could* qualify, they just use standard visitor visa.

Others who *could* qualify, but opt not to apply include Madonna, who got a spousal visa because the path to citizenship is three years versus six years.

In truth, for the really high rollers, like a Sultan or some such, the guys who permanently reserve an entire floor of a hotel, they don't even care because they have other problems which are more pressing. 

It's not a big deal.  If you qualify, just instruct a law firm or fill out the online application.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 12:12:32 AM »
Is there a rule of thumb for how much dough you need to qualify? I'm definitely not in that bracket; just curious.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 12:15:04 AM »
There is an exact lower bound which is given in the IDI's. 

But in truth, if you have to ask...  ;)

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 10:00:04 AM »
I did one of these a few years ago for a very wealthy Iranian.  As Garry says, if you have the money that's most of the hard work done.  The applications ususally fail on a) lack of close connection to the UK and b) that the money available is in a lump sum and not a guaranteed income.

If you are planning this in the future it might be an idea to buy a property here and begin visits.  This will build up the close connection needed.

Vicky

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 12:24:10 AM »
Is there a rule of thumb for how much dough you need to qualify? I'm definitely not in that bracket; just curious.

To come as a "Retired Person of Independent Means", one has to have at least an annual income of 25,000 pounds (roughly $50,000 US).  You also gotta be 6o years old. I think that I might he "Close Connection" requirement.  I did live in the UK for about 7 months as a student at the University of Bath.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 11:41:43 AM »
Living in the UK for 7 months will not be considered a 'close connection'.  Especially if it was a while ago.

Vicky

Sponsored Links