Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: proposed domestic partnership to Irish/Canadian dual citizen living in Edinburgh  (Read 1844 times)

• Liked: 0
Hi! So I've looked through a whole bunch of stuff and I *think* I've got a handle on most of this, however I feel like I'm missing something.

Soooo my girlfriend and I (She's 32, I'm 30) have been dating for seven months now and have planned on getting married since January. We've met 3 times: once in Montreal for 5 days, and two times in Edinburgh for about 10 days each. She's planning on visiting here before we apply for the fiancé/proposed domestic partnership visa.

She is a dual Irish/Canadian citizen who is working in Edinburgh. I am a US citizen. She makes quite a good salary on her own and makes enough to support the both of us (she's a research fellow). She rents her flat. I have a Master's degree in librarianship and have never been unemployed (although it seems to matter less that I can get a job than that she can support us both). She's been divorced.

( So this is what I've found to send in for my application found from http://www.britainusa.com/visas/articles_show_nt1.asp?i=65035&L1=41000&a=41031 and http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf4husbandswifespartners: )

So my visa, her visa, 3 months of bank statements from each of us, my birth certificate, her divorce papers, her rental agreement, evidence of her employment (pay checks? a letter?), and emails between the two of us?

Do I send photographs? Do we need to do anything differently since she's on an Irish passport? I heard something about a certificate of non-impediment or something maybe?

Is there anyway we should get married in Canada (since obviously the US is out) instead of going through the whole fiance/marriage visa route?

Also what the hell do these things cost anyway? It seems like L 515 for the fiance visa, but then how about switching? I've seen everything from L395-515 being said.

I have to say, as a librarian I'm quite disgusted as to how much this information is obfuscated and not easily accessible or understandable. Although I'm quite sure they use that as a deterrent. *le sigh*

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
To come to the UK as Fiancee/proposed civil partner and then change to spouse/civil partner (aka applying for FLR) is currently £395 by post or £595 in person according to:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/flr/flrm

The fees on UKvisas are for entering as a spouse or civil partner without going the fiancee/proposed civil partner route first ( as in your example if you married in Canada).
Maroon Passport Club!

• Edinburgh, baby
    • Kate's 365
I'm afraid I don't have anything helpful to add, other than to welcome you to the site. I've been in Edinburgh for four and a half years now, and I love love love it.... I hope you will too.

I also work in a library here in Edinburgh (I'm a book and paper conservator), so perhaps some day we will be working together!

Good luck!
Ok, so I'm smug.

If your girlfriend is Irish rather than British, I believe you'll need to apply under EEA rules rather than through the traditional proposed civil partnership to civil partners route.  The good news is, it's cheaper!  The bad news is, it'll probably be easier to get hitched in Canada first then apply for the EEA permit, as there isn't a category for EEA fiancees/proposed civil partners.

Check out the guidance here for more information:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/

(Also, welcome! from a fellow librarian who is also irritated by the official guidance and actually used the term "obfuscated" to describe this very subject just yesterday. ;D)

Thanks so much for the responses so far! Especially the fellow librarian shout outs. :) The EEA family permit thing seems tricky. I've seen things written that I would need one or won't need one. *le sigh*

Another librarian here.  Good luck!

• Liked: 6
If your girlfriend is Irish rather than British, I believe you'll need to apply under EEA rules rather than through the traditional proposed civil partnership to civil partners route.

Actually, Irish citizens can sponsor either under the UK rules or EU regulations, since they are considered "settled" upon entering the UK, not after 5 years like other EU citizens.  So, the OP can look at both paths and see which one would suit better.
The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

Actually, Irish citizens can sponsor either under the UK rules or EU regulations, since they are considered "settled" upon entering the UK, not after 5 years like other EU citizens.  So, the OP can look at both paths and see which one would suit better.

I was hoping you'd show up, as I knew that you would know!!  ;D  The EEA route is much cheaper though, right?

I was hoping you'd show up, as I knew that you would know!!  ;D  The EEA route is much cheaper though, right?

I'd say so- it's free! :)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

Okay, yes this is what I thought!

So the EU route is free? Really? I saw that but didn't quite believe it. Would there be any reason to do the more expensive PCP route? We plan on staying for at least several years in Edinburgh, perhaps indefinitely depending on how jobs work out.

• Liked: 6
I'd say so- it's free! :)

Exactly!  The downside is that it takes 5 years to get Permanent Residence, as opposed to two under the UK rules.  But, curiously enough, Residence Cards are not endorsed with "no recourse to public funds".  The other downside is it will take longer to be eligible for British citizenship, but unless the OP's girlfriend is also looking to become a British citizen, it won't make much of a difference in this case.

To the OP:  You have a few options.

1-  Marry in Canada.  Apply for an EEA family permit to come to the UK.  This is free and valid for 6 months.  Once in the UK, apply for a Residence Card (also free) which is valid for 5 years.  After 5 years, apply for Permanent Residence.

2- Marry in Canada.  Apply for a UK spousal visa.  This is valid for 2 years and the cost is £500.  Within 28 days of this expiring, apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.  (£750)  The Life in the UK test should be taken and passed before applying for ILR.

3- Apply for a fiancee visa to get marrried in the UK (£500).  It is valid for 6 months and you must marry within that time.  You cannot work while on a fiancee visa.  Once married in the UK, you have the choice of applying either for the Residence Card or spousal visa.

So the EU route is free? Really?
  Yes it really is free lol.  My husband is Irish, and we chose the EEA route due to it being free. We have a young child at it was what made the most sense for us.

The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

Yes it really is free lol.  My husband is Irish, and we chose the EEA route due to it being free. We have a young child at it was what made the most sense for us.

OMG! This is seriously the most helpful answer I could have hoped for. Thank you so much!!

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
Not to threadjack, but...FREE?  Really?

My husband has dual UK/Irish citizenship, could we choose to go the EEA route as opposed to the UK spousal expensive as heck route?

If we can, are there drawbacks to taking that route as opposed to the spousal visa route?

Not to threadjack, but...FREE?  Really?

My husband has dual UK/Irish citizenship, could we choose to go the EEA route as opposed to the UK spousal expensive as heck route?

If we can, are there drawbacks to taking that route as opposed to the spousal visa route?

The only drawbacks (that I know of) are the ones that yankeeangel mentioned above - it takes longer to get ILR and citizenship than if you take the spousal route. :)

and i *THINK* the EEA permit can't be applied for in person- ie you may be without your passport for a bit.  is that correct?
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

Sponsored Links