Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Making a Visa appointment and student/spouse question  (Read 478 times)

• Liked: 0
Making a Visa appointment and student/spouse question
« on: July 27, 2006, 03:59:33 AM »
Hi everyone,

Two questions...

First, I am trying to make an appointment online for an in-person application.  There is an available date, but it is not allowing me to select such date.  I have tried in both Firefox and Safari (on my Mac).  Did anyone else have this issue problem.  I just keep clicking and clicking and nothing happens....I am getting aggravated and worried all at once...I am supposed to fly out Sept 3rd and the earliest appt is Aug. 19th!!

Second, I am confused as to whether I need to make one appt or two.  I am applying for a student visa (VAF-1) for longer than 6 months and my husband is applying for a VAF-1 dependent of student.  Do we need two seperate appt. or can we make one and present them together?  The website says:

Please select the date and time most convenient for you. You may submit up to 3 additional applications per appointment. This will enable you to submit applications on behalf of friend/s or family who do not wish to attend in person. If they wish to appear in person they must have a separate confirmed appointment. If you have more than 4 family members, including yourself, who wish to make an application you should schedule an additional appointment using their personal details and passport number. If you are submitting an application on behalf of someone else you should still enter their name and personal details as opposed to you own.

Any thoughts/advice are much appreciated!

TIA!

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
Re: Making a Visa appointment and student/spouse question
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 05:48:48 AM »
You may be selecting a date that's already fully booked.  Try another date. 

You and your dh can have the same appointment as his visa is dependent on yours.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 06:00:40 AM »
First, I am trying to make an appointment online for an in-person application.  There is an available date, but it is not allowing me to select such date.  I have tried in both Firefox and Safari (on my Mac). 

The site only seems to work in Internet Explorer - I'm a Firefox devotee, but I keep a copy of IE around because my electric company and the britainusa site only work in IE. :P  Make sure you have pop-ups enabled, and click on date - you should get the popup window with the calendar of available dates, and be able to click on one of the red numbers, which will then enter the date into the blank on the first page.  Click submit, and the next page will list all available (morning) appointments for that date.  From there, it's fairly self-explanatory. :)

As for your second question - Kristi's right.  You can submit both of your applications at the same appointment.

Good luck! :)

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 02:01:27 PM »
The site only seems to work in Internet Explorer - I'm a Firefox devotee, but I keep a copy of IE around because my electric company and the britainusa site only work in IE.

A bit hard to use IE on a Mac...

I think I used Firefox when I applied on my Linux box.  I think it might be the pop-up problem.  Make sure you hava javascript fully enabled as well.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 02:06:18 PM »
adding to the chorus that I remember reading someone's post here who said they had a problem getting the online appt system to work on Safari (or on a Mac at all for that matter!) so I don't think it's you, it's the site.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 05:45:01 PM »
I think I used Firefox when I applied on my Linux box.  I think it might be the pop-up problem.  Make sure you hava javascript fully enabled as well.

The pop-up isn't the issue.  The window pops up just fine, when you click on the "date" button.  When using Firefox, something keeps the date from being filled into the little blank box on the original window when I (or the OP) click on the big red available date link in the pop-up window.  Since I couldn't fill in the date manually, I personally had no other option than to use IE, which I had access to as a PC user.  If I was a Mac user, I'd probably just find a PC to use to schedule my interview rather than spending an excessive amount of time trying to figure out how to use a site that refuses to work properly on my machine, but that's just me - and I know that not everyone has immediate access to a PC.

*shrugs* 

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 06:23:32 PM »
A bit hard to use IE on a Mac...

Not really, I use a Mac and it came with IE as well as Safari. :)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 06:30:13 PM »
I tried it on multiple computers and the key was to use IE.  Sadly firefox didn't work.

You should be able to download a free version of IE from the web.

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 06:45:12 PM »
You should be able to download a free version of IE from the web.

Depending on how old her computer is, it may have come with it.

(And I'm leaving Leeds in a week and a half. Gutted. :\\\'()

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 09:16:35 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I had a feeling it was the mac/safari/firefox issue....on a whim I tried it on my husband's PC on IE and viola...worked like a charm.....crazy - do they think everyone uses IE.....only those with no computer experience still use IE -  ;D

So glad to hear we only need one appointment!

Thanks again!!!!

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 11:15:59 PM »
I had a similar problem filling out my VAF2 Application online using Safari (on my Mac)....for example I couldn't type the letter "t" in my answers to application questions and sometimes the spacing and etc was WAY off! I think they think everyone is still a PC user  :P
Juls xx

Arrived in the UK on spousal visa: 19/08/06
Posted ILR Application 23/7/08
ILR app arrival at UKIBA & Fee Taken: 24/7/08
ILR issued: 29/8/08
ILR arrived here: 03/09/08

Sponsored Links