Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Is it dangersous to ship pets?  (Read 4545 times)

• Liked: 0
  • Location: Wenatchee, Washington to Columbus, Ohio to Westwood, Nottingham
Is it dangersous to ship pets?
« on: April 01, 2012, 07:34:08 PM »
I thought I read a topic here last week about how dangerous it is to ship pets overseas. I can't seem to find it now. Can anyone give me the link to it, please? Or any solid information one way or the other on safety?
Thanks, Julia
No matter where you go, there you are.

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
Re: Is it dangersous to ship pets?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 08:20:45 PM »
There are risks, obviously (mostly that your pets might get loose/lost, I believe, but there have been reports of pets getting ill/dying via plane travel). Losing pets is rare, though (and they obviously take plenty of precautions, like securing the door of the crates), and when I read airline pet safety reports, the illness/death was generally associated with pre-existing conditions.

Overall, I would say it's pretty safe.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 11:39:14 AM »
I dont know the topic you are refering to, but I agree with Equestrianerd - the deaths I read about were mostly on short-nosed dogs or cats (pugs, boston terriers, persian cats, etc).  I would certainly have used air transportation if I had an animal of these breeds or similar.

However, I will say that I am fairly sure that my dog's sudden hearing loss after moving here was likely caused by the flight over. I have subsequently read other stories of dogs losing hearing after a long-haul flight and my dog is now completely deaf.

Your other option is to travel with your pet by sea - there are a few people here who have done that and may be able to give you more information.

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 12:25:58 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. The information I read before, I believe, was on another websight, but I had followed a link from here on the topic. What was mentioned was that the mortality rate was quite high. I found a forum off of fb last night and there seems to be a large group of people that had shipped their pets to England and none had run into any health scares in the process. 

• TELL ME IT WILL BE ALRIGHT
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 12:33:54 PM »
i would think flying them over would really depend upon what breed of animal friend you have and their overall health...........i brought my two chihuahuas over on the ship........one of them was very old and could not have survived the flight over.........both of them would have suffered emotionally as they are stuck up my behind all the time.....lol.......the ship is/was the perfect solution for me.......you visit your babies 5 times a day and they are cared for perfectly

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 08:44:22 AM »
I don't think its really dangerous but as someone else said, some animals have pre-existing conditions. Saying that though, I left my kitties behind in the States with my parents. One of my cats, Scamp, flew back to the States with us in 2008 with his brother Remy. While neither of them got ill, Scamp has been a very nervous cat since then. I can only think the noise bothered him as now loud noises like trucks or motorcycles going by the house make him freak. I honestly think he has anxiety like some people do...if that's possible. His brother was fine though so I guess it depends on the animal. I miss him and our other kitty Charlie...but I couldn't put Scamp through it again :\\\'(
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/03/2012-Email from UK Consul General application needs further processing will receive decision within 10 working days.
02/09/2012-Request for more payslips and custody papers for daughter.
02/22/2012-Submit the requested documents with prayers.
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued :)
03/12/2012-Arrive in MAN UK :)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:46:09 AM »
So many of us on UKY have shipped pets over and if there have been any horror stories in the 7 years I've been a member of the forum, I can't remember them.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 06:15:29 PM »
Yes, it was all of the positive pet info on here that helped me to decide to go forward with it. A good vet will know if your animal is capable of the ordeal.

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 01:02:19 PM »
I appreciate all the assurances, I'm confident that my shih tzu would be fine especially since she is in good health. I have taken your advice and found a vet to speak to about it as well.
Thanks again, everyone.
Julia

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 12:05:21 PM »
Pacific, your still in Wenatchee? That's where i'm from!!!
Met Online: January 2009
Started E-Dating: April 2009
Met in Seattle June 2009
Got engaged August 2009
Married September 2009
Filled out App 10 November 2010
Biometrics Appointment 17 November 2010
Sent App in 19 November 2010
Received Processing E-mail 30 November 2010
Received Email 14 January 2011!
Got Passport back with Visa inside 20 January 2011
Leaving for UK  27 January 2011!
Landed in UK 28 January.
National Insurance Number issued 2nd March
DH I-130 Sent off for US Visa 27 Feb 2012

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 05:21:06 PM »
I have shipped animals plenty of times and they've been fine every single time.  Even our elderly cat who did have problems came through like a champ. 
Riding the rollercoaster of life without a seat belt!

• In my nothing you meant everything to me
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 09:19:30 PM »
I just shipped my 2 cats unaccompanied and they made it safe and sound to my new home in England.

To help make your decision easier:
They are 2 and a half years old, no health issues.  They left their first and only home here in Michigan and flew to Newark, N.J. where they had a 6 hour layover.  :(
Then off to London where they have to stay for a couple hours before they can be picked up.
My husband retrieved them this morning and they are now exploring our new home.  One is hiding (the shy one) and the other is making himself at home.

I was a nervous wreck, but they are part of the family and I couldn't imagine living without them.

Good luck to you!

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 08:27:33 PM »
I just shipped my 2 cats unaccompanied and they made it safe and sound to my new home in England.

To help make your decision easier:
They are 2 and a half years old, no health issues.  They left their first and only home here in Michigan and flew to Newark, N.J. where they had a 6 hour layover.  :(
Then off to London where they have to stay for a couple hours before they can be picked up.
My husband retrieved them this morning and they are now exploring our new home.  One is hiding (the shy one) and the other is making himself at home.

I was a nervous wreck, but they are part of the family and I couldn't imagine living without them.

Good luck to you!

hi
glad
your kitties safe, would you mind telling me who you used to get them
over here,
my fiancee is coming over in 2 weeks and wants to bring his cat.
she has had the inoculations and travel certificates.
Mar 20, 2012 - Met USC Online
May 12, 2012 - Met In The USA
Jun 26, 2012 - Paid Online Fiancée Visa
Jun 29, 2012 - Biometrics
July 9, 2012 - Fiancée Visa Issued
Sept 24, 2012 - Married
Dec 17, 2012 - FLR(M) applied for
Feb 8, 2013 - Biometrics Done
Mar 8, 2013 - Biometrics Permit Received

• Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 10:15:15 AM »
Bikerchic - you just need to find an approved route on a commercial airline. I assume his cat has also had the necessary titre test?

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 10:46:42 AM »
I assume his cat has also had the necessary titre test?

The titre test is no longer necessary. :) You just have to prove that you did the microchip, then the rabies vaccine, then waited at least 21 days pre-travel.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

Sponsored Links