Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Informational Interviews  (Read 976 times)

• Liked: 0
Informational Interviews
« on: December 14, 2004, 09:25:40 PM »
Hello all.
My wife and I are hoping to move to the Oxford area within a year or so. Were planning a short trip to England in march. We want to do some "informational interviews" while I'm there to learn about some of the companies and how they operate. I specialize in architecture/design and my wife does graphic design.

I have emailed a dozen of different architecture companies asking if I could stop in and learn a bit about them and how they operate. I never received a single email from the companies. I'm wondering if anyone has some connections or suggestions I can refer to when I travel over there. I would like to set up a few informational interviews with companies.

Thank you.

Re: Informational Interviews
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 07:04:25 AM »
Sounds like 'informational interviews' might be an American thing.
I dont think they do them here... i've been here nearly 20 years, and never heard of it before.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 07:36:03 AM »
You can't look for work while you're here on a visitor's visa.  If immigration catches wind of your interviews, you'll have a hard time explaining that you weren't actively looking for work, no matter how "informational" the interviews.  Perhaps you could look into the HSMP?  Otherwise, were you hoping to be sponsored for a work permit?

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 08:44:16 AM »
I think I understand what you are looking for, however; I feel it will look to some you are trying to find a loophole around the fact you aren't allowed to look for work. I can see where I would want to visit a school since I am in education just to see how schools in England compare to schools in the USA-- that doesn't mean I am trying to look for work; although I would admit that I wouldn't mind making some contacts while looking at the school.

My suggestion is that you phone the companies directly-- emails tend to be easier to avoid. Explain that you are simply interested in learning about UK companies and seeing the comparisons to your experience in the US.

Good Luck

edited to add-- I would avoid using the term interview at all..I would simply request to visit the company

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 03:23:15 PM »
Good point. Eliminate the word interview. I am not looking for work, just hoping to establish a network of people. My wife is applying for dual citizenship and from there I will be applying for a spousal visa. Then I will be legal to work so I'm not worried about being sponsored. I would like to be ahead of the game for when we actually move there. Obtaining some work information and how it differs from the U.S. will be very helpful. Just need a new strategy I guess.
Thanx for the responses!

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 10:18:18 PM »
Hi Johnnie...
I'm having the same problem. I already DO have my dual citizenship...and I'm moving to London from Los Angeles at the end of march. I have emailed 4 major newspapers that I am coming in January for a week, and I have not heard from one of them. And I have 17 years epxperience at The L.A. Times!
I did manage to get a persons name at the London Times, and I have made contact with her. She said to call her while I am in London for that week. I am feeling that UK employers do not take us Yanks seriously, while we are still living in the U.S. I will let you know how my experience is while I'm there in January. I have a killer CV put together by a British Recruiter...I can email it to you if you like.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 06:11:54 PM »
LuckyNicky,
Thank you for the repsonse! I hope all works well in London for you. I would love to see your CV as I am preparing to send mine to a recruiter. I will be eager to hear how things go. Please email me at johnnie37@yahoo.com if you could.
Thank you much.
Tim

• Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 06:41:14 PM »
If you are looking for work in London, you've to remember so are millions of others, it is a VERY competetive employment  market and when it comes to journalism and that kind of thing, you can mulitply that by 100.  An email isn't going to get you anywhere because HR departments and recruiters probably get bomarded with hundreds of them.  Luckynicky, as you have already found out, you get a better response if you telephone but on the whole you are better off applying for jobs that have already been advertised, or following up through an already established contact.

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 05:46:01 PM »
Britwife,
What about architecture and graphic design? Are those pretty competetive also?

• Liked: 2
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 05:59:26 PM »
Hi Johnnie, I don't know for certain about those areas, but I would say here is probably a lot of competition in both fields - anything creative is very competitive in London.  I'm not saying you won't be able to find work here, but it may be harder than you would think.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab