Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 412766 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #6210 on: October 26, 2018, 07:31:21 PM »
What company? Anywhere near Swindon ??

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Message me.  We are all over the UK.

• Liked: 114
« Reply #6211 on: October 26, 2018, 07:43:40 PM »
WWAAAAAHOOOO!!!!  Congratulations!!!!!!!  Great news about the job.

And is it your first UK lesson?  Or first EVER lesson?  Regardless - good luck!

I'm sorry about your friend.  And don't answer the phone on Fridays in the future. 
Thanks KFD. I'm kinda "meh" about the job, to be honest. My gut feeling was that I was going to turn it down, but in the end I accepted. I'm not sure what prompted me to do that - suppose it would have been a bit silly to pass the opportunity up, and I probably would have regretted doing that. I'm not sure it's going to be a role I enjoy, but I just kept having to convince myself that accepting the job would not be un-doable.

First driving lesson ever, here or in the US. I've never needed to drive. Truth be told, I still don't, but I've had a number of "I should just learn to drive" moments on the bus recently so I guess it's time. Theory test is booked for December 1st. I have failed all but two of the practice tests I've taken so far. Dave wants me to learn to drive before we go to the US next year so I can help on the drive from Texas to Missouri and back.

My colleague/neighbor learned that lesson this week. On Wednesday, his phone rang at 16:57. We close at 17:00. He refused to answer, then the call bounced to my phone and I picked it up. The conversation continued until past closing time. He hung around for a bit because he felt bad, but ultimately went home.

Thursday, his phone rang at 16:55 and he picked it up. By the tone of his voice, I could tell he was getting someone's life story on the other end and it was going to be a long one. I chuckled and said, "Karma." He mouthed, "It so is." Then I left.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #6212 on: October 27, 2018, 09:45:56 AM »
Spring Rolls, straight from the pack into the fryer. 

I see, the PCB is already full of bits.  The pinball machine sounds cool though. 

I ask because I need a person or persons who can solder to help me finish my mendacino engine project. 

I bought the kit and it's been sitting around because I don't have a decent soldering iron, or the skills to solder it, or a magnifying glass so I can see the tiny thing.  I've wound the wires, just need to solder on the solar panels. 

Interested?  I'll mail it to you and give you visitation rights on the final product

Spring rolls are the eggroll's inferior cousin.  I mean, in isolation, they're fine.  But compared to an eggroll, you realize someone has sold you short.

The pinball is the only one I've ever wanted to own.  We were watching eBay for over a year before one turned up.  We've been watching for the system 9 board ever since.  It's Space Shuttle by William's.   I'm a dork, but I've loved this game since I was a child.  My dad and I would compete with each other.  Now my husband and I have a virtual version of it, and we are trying to rebuild a real one.  But, like everything else we're trying to rebuild (our house!), it's going slowly.

That doesn't look like much soldering.  As for magnifying glass, I could just use my husband's recently-acquired £1 reading glasses.  You'll be at the Blizzard party next week, right?  You can hand it off there..  or post it now and I'll see if we can do it this week and return it to you at the party.

2. Got the promotion at work that I interviewed for a couple of weeks ago.

I hope you enjoy the film!  I'm looking forward to that one.

Congratulations on the promotion!  This is the one with the surprise third applicant?  Are they the other one to get it?  Curious, if so... like, "we have to give it to Surprise Person, but Heyjay is so perfect... I know! let's promote both of them!"

I'm sorry for your loss.   If you think you might be distracted on the 5th, it's probably not a good day to start your driving lessons.  Attend the funeral, instead.  If you think you'll be fine, do what brings you peace.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 114
« Reply #6213 on: October 27, 2018, 10:09:07 AM »
Spring rolls are the eggroll's inferior cousin.  I mean, in isolation, they're fine.  But compared to an eggroll, you realize someone has sold you short.

The pinball is the only one I've ever wanted to own.  We were watching eBay for over a year before one turned up.  We've been watching for the system 9 board ever since.  It's Space Shuttle by William's.   I'm a dork, but I've loved this game since I was a child.  My dad and I would compete with each other.  Now my husband and I have a virtual version of it, and we are trying to rebuild a real one.  But, like everything else we're trying to rebuild (our house!), it's going slowly.

That doesn't look like much soldering.  As for magnifying glass, I could just use my husband's recently-acquired £1 reading glasses.  You'll be at the Blizzard party next week, right?  You can hand it off there..  or post it now and I'll see if we can do it this week and return it to you at the party.

I hope you enjoy the film!  I'm looking forward to that one.

Congratulations on the promotion!  This is the one with the surprise third applicant?  Are they the other one to get it?  Curious, if so... like, "we have to give it to Surprise Person, but Heyjay is so perfect... I know! let's promote both of them!"

I'm sorry for your loss.   If you think you might be distracted on the 5th, it's probably not a good day to start your driving lessons.  Attend the funeral, instead.  If you think you'll be fine, do what brings you peace.
Yep, this was the job interview with the suprise third applicant.  Suprise-third-applicant was not offered the job - it was offered to me and my colleague who work on the same team, and I suspect that largely came about because my supervisor had a lot of anxiety about having to choose between the two of us and the fallout that might subsequently ensue. So apparently she put a case forward to hire the two of us at the promoted position but to replace us with only one person at our current role.

That's some solid advice about the driving lesson. I'll have to take that into consideration, because you're right, it won't do me (or anyone else!) and good to be distracted during my first time on the road.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #6214 on: October 28, 2018, 07:13:40 AM »

Spring Rolls, straight from the pack into the fryer. 

I see, the PCB is already full of bits.  The pinball machine sounds cool though. 

I ask because I need a person or persons who can solder to help me finish my mendacino engine project. 

I bought the kit and it's been sitting around because I don't have a decent soldering iron, or the skills to solder it, or a magnifying glass so I can see the tiny thing.  I've wound the wires, just need to solder on the solar panels. 

Interested?  I'll mail it to you and give you visitation rights on the final product
My husband has done several kits with a soldering iron, building boards from scratch. I think his most recent one was a synth. I can just offer his services though... And I saw JFKimberly already offered to help.

He paid less than £20 for a good soldering iron. He got it on Amazon or eBay.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1893
Friday Five!
« Reply #6215 on: October 28, 2018, 02:00:57 PM »
Thanks for the offer Lyonaria.  I think I'm going to hand it off to JFKimberley at the blizzard party to save shipping.

When I was a kid, I used to love making those kits.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #6216 on: November 02, 2018, 09:29:50 AM »
Happy Friday!!

1.) Going to an architectural awards dinner tonight. Sadly, hubby isn't up for any awards, but they usually have really good speakers, good food and good wine so should be fun.  [smiley=laugh.gif]

2.) Brass band is playing at a local bonfire night tomorrow night. After the bonfire we're gathering at a members house for soup,hot dogs and drinks  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

3.) Finally making it on a tour of Macallan Distillery. They only do tours for six people at a time and by the time we ever think to book it's sold out.  I booked far in advance and put it in the diary.  They've opened up a brand new visitor centre with a cracking building, so hubby wants to geek out with some of his favourite things - buildings and Macallan. Certainly no objections from me!   [smiley=smart.gif]

4.) I still have 20 days of holiday to take before the end of the year....  Because that is how this year is going....Work...  [smiley=shout.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] Not sure what I am going to do.   ???

5.) Been so frosty and icy and cold.  I'm over it already and it's the 02 Nov.  LOL :D
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 216
« Reply #6217 on: November 02, 2018, 09:51:52 AM »
Hope you all have a beautiful Friday!

PB - I know what you mean about how frosty and cold it is!!! I'm not ready!!! Speaking of which...

1. The crows have somehow gotten into our chimney and decided to call it home. Soooo, no log burner until the chimney sweep can come. Nothing like lighting the log burner to watch the smoke swirl up inside, start seeping out of little cracks, and fill the living room. It's cold in here!! I need my log burner!

2. I miss my coffee maker and fresh brewed coffee. The instant stuff is okay... and it's convenient... But it's just not quite the same. I might need to invest in a coffee maker here.

3. Getting my nails done today. I was a manicurist for 14 years and while I took care of everyone else's hands, I always neglected mine. So, I've kind of been into getting manis lately. Time to take care of me!

4. Yesterday was my sweet stepdaughter's 11th birthday. She got so spoiled with gifts and sweets but she's a good girl so we don't mind. Though we only got to spend a couple hours with her yesterday, we still had lots of laughs and silliness as always.

5. Went to a funeral yesterday morning, also. The next door neighbor's husband passed away in his sleep two weeks ago on their daughter's 50th birthday. Yikes. Same thing happened to my ex-husband - his dad passed away on his birthday. Such a weird thing... Like out of 365 days in a year, your parent passes away on YOUR day. Anyway, they are such sweet people and have been very kind to me since I've been coming here so we really wanted to honor him and also be supportive to the neighbor and her daughter who has become one of my first friends here. Oddly enough, she's a huge Radiohead fan like myself. Kindred spirits.
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

« Reply #6218 on: November 02, 2018, 09:55:22 AM »
FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!

1.  Work is insane.  I managed to convince the owners that we are WAY off hitting our 2018 numbers - which at first they didn't believe as they are used to things just working out.  (my role is new)  They now realise I'm correct and we are trying hard to motivate the company to scramble for additional revenue.  And now everyone hides when they see me coming knowing I want more money.   ;D

2.  I met up with some of the moms from 4 year old's class last night.  Was really nice and met some lovely women.  Some I hope to see become friends.  But there's always one.  Wow, did she have opinions on everyone's life choices.  I do wonder if there is something a bit mentally off, as she had ZERO filter.  Yet her children are 4, 1.  And 28 and 26.  So she's made some unique life choices herself.  My style is to support people's choices and understand that we are all doing what's right for our family.  I'll never understand why some moms are SOOO judgey of other moms.  It's not cool.

3.  Went  to Sainsburys last night to pick something up and saw a Gin Advent Calendar.  It didn't have a price on it and I wasn't about to lug it to the checkout to check.  And I can't find it online.  What should my limit be?  If it's £xxx or less - then I get it?  I'm thinking £40ish?  Or is that too cheap.  Do I need to say if it's £50 or less buy it?

4.  All new choreography for tomorrow's dance classes.  Think I'm okay for two classes, need to polish the third class tonight.  My daughter is loving being my guinea pig and having pretend dance classes together.

5.  Blizzard party tomorrow!  I'm looking forward to it but still have no idea what time I'm supposed to arrive.  :P

Bonus:  We still haven't carved our pumpkins.  Ooops.

• Liked: 680
« Reply #6219 on: November 02, 2018, 10:02:06 AM »
Friday.

1) There's white frost on the nearby houses and condensation on the outside of our windows. I turned the heat on a bit ago and now it's a toasty 67F in the house. I have to get the booklet out and program the thermostat later. Five different heating time windows, and then different 5 on Sat and Sunday. The auto setting is great for someone who gets up early and goes out to work, and comes back around 5pm. That's not us.  ::)

2) Today is driving license theory/hazard test day. I have to take a bus to Central Station and then walk about six blocks to get to the testing center. Should be awake by then - especially after all the coffee I will have had! They say we can't take coats and purses in, that we have to use lockers there. I sure hope I can get my coat stuffed into a locker! It's waaay too cold out to go in anything by my big, heavy coat. I still cannot remember the stopping distances or the criminal penalties. But I couldn't remember the stopping distances in the USA test, either.  Am really nervous.

3) The Daughter made an excellent loaf of wholewheat bread last night. Really nice one, out of an old hippie collective cookbook. Am looking forward to toasting a couple of slices in a few moments for breakfast.

4) We will be going shopping in city center after my test. I may have to sneak a pretzel from the stand in the mall where John Lewis is. I fell off the diet bandwagon, but after today will be going back on it. I am within 5 pounds of my goal, so one final push. I know I have lost weight because I ran to the shop the other day wearing my bluejeans over my sweatpants and it wasn't at all tight or obvious. Just warm. ;D

5) I have all the Halloween decorations in one place in the floor in the livingroom, and need to pack them up. I hate to do that. Halloween was always a really happy time in the household, although this year it was kinda flat as the Daughter was out all evening. We used to always have tons of trick-or-treaters in the States, and the Daughter would have her friends over.  It was a very quiet and drizzly night, instead.  She's going to have a few people over for Thanksgiving, which should be nice.

...blood alcohol level is .50 milllileters in Scotland.... (?)
Double red lines on the side of the road mean "hell no"
Single red lines mean look for the sign that says where you can put the car and for how long....
Double slashes in yellow on the curb mean no unloading/loading

OY!

You guys have fun at the Blizzard Party!

• Liked: 216
« Reply #6220 on: November 02, 2018, 10:14:06 AM »

2) Today is driving license theory/hazard test day.

Nan - Good luck with your test!! You got this!!

Bonus:  We still haven't carved our pumpkins.  Ooops.

KF - Don't feel bad... we never even got our pumpkins this year. D'oh! But we had other decorations up so I guess it still looked like Halloween around here.

And everyone who is going, enjoy the Blizzard Party!! Pics please. So wish I was going!
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 6111
« Reply #6221 on: November 02, 2018, 10:25:36 AM »

3.  Went  to Sainsburys last night to pick something up and saw a Gin Advent Calendar.  It didn't have a price on it and I wasn't about to lug it to the checkout to check.  And I can't find it online.  What should my limit be?  If it's £xxx or less - then I get it?  I'm thinking £40ish?  Or is that too cheap.  Do I need to say if it's £50 or less buy it?

Depends how much you want it!  :) This says it's £60. https://www.theginkin.com/2018/10/16/sainsburys-gin-advent-calendar/

• Liked: 6111
« Reply #6222 on: November 02, 2018, 10:28:18 AM »
Nan, good luck with the test!   [smiley=clover2.gif]

• Liked: 680
« Reply #6223 on: November 02, 2018, 10:32:25 AM »
Thanks. I am waaay more nervous than I should be.
I mean, if I don't pass, I get a do-over, so it's not life-or-death!

70mph stopping distance is 315! ;D

« Reply #6224 on: November 02, 2018, 10:35:12 AM »
Depends how much you want it!  :) This says it's £60. https://www.theginkin.com/2018/10/16/sainsburys-gin-advent-calendar/

YOU FOUND IT!!!!!!!

We are having a heated debate at work right now as to whether I should buy it or not.  The consensus is YES!  Even the teetotaller says to buy it.  Eeek, should I spend £60 on a gin advent calendar?!??!?

Sponsored Links