Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Film addicts?  (Read 2550 times)

• Liked: 66
Film addicts?
« on: February 09, 2018, 12:41:55 PM »
So I'm a bit of a film addict. More than a bit. I tend to go to the cinema once or twice per week and watch a movie at home basically every day. I work in the industry so I justify it as "research" :P

Since leaving LA and arriving in London, I've lost people to talk to about the new films out! Aside from my husband (who watches even more than I do - not joking) I don't have anyone here who enjoys film chat.

Anyone here a film addict? Anyone have strong opinions on the award noms?

Also, the UK release schedule is actually killing me. I had seen EVERYTHING that came out in January here before I left LA mid-December (aside from PADDINGTON 2 which I loved).
Spouse Visa (Priority)

App Submitted Online: 18 Oct 2017
Biometrics + Docs Sent: 23 Oct 2017
Received in Sheffield email: 25 Oct 2017
Decision email: 20 Nov 2017 (18 BD)
Passport received: 22 Nov 2017 (APPROVED)
Travel to UK: 28 Dec 2017

FLR(m):
App Submitted Online: 08 July 2020
Biometrics submitted via IDV app: 7 Sept 2020
Approval: 19 Nov 2020

ILR (Priority):
App submitted: 19 Jan 2023
Biometrics: 8 Feb 2023
Approval: 8 Feb 2023

Citizenship:
App submitted: 28 July 2023
Biometrics: 17 Aug 2023
Approval: 27 Nov 2023
Ceremony: 27 Nov 2023

• Liked: 3595
Re: Film addicts?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 01:05:54 PM »

I used to be more into films a few years ago and would go to the cinema every week, but these days I’m lucky to go more than a handful of times a year.

Also, the UK release schedule is actually killing me. I had seen EVERYTHING that came out in January here before I left LA mid-December (aside from PADDINGTON 2 which I loved).

It is SO much better than it used to be. We actually get films released the same week as in the US, or within a few weeks.

Back in the 90s and early 00s you would sometimes have to wait months and months after films came out in the US to get them in the UK. The bigger movies were released about 2-3 months later but some of the smaller ones would be even longer.

I used to love visiting my aunt in the US as a teen because it meant I knew about all these movies no one had heard of in the UK yet and could see films a few months before my friends :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 01:53:28 PM »
So I'm a bit of a film addict. More than a bit. I tend to go to the cinema once or twice per week and watch a movie at home basically every day. I work in the industry so I justify it as "research" :P

Since leaving LA and arriving in London, I've lost people to talk to about the new films out! Aside from my husband (who watches even more than I do - not joking) I don't have anyone here who enjoys film chat.

You’d get on well with my husband, he also worked in the business in LA and loves film!  ;D
Maybe you even know each other, ha! ;D

• Liked: 537
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 02:28:36 PM »
I used to go to the movies a lot, but that was back in the states.

It was for the experience of seeing a movie for the first time on the big screen with some terrible popcorn with theatre butter with awesome company.

Without the really good friends, "good" popcorn and a husband who can't always make it to the movies... I'm lucky to go a few times a year. I do watch a lot of movies on Netflix and Prime but that's long after they've already come out.

You should look into the year passes if you haven't already. You would probably get a TON out of them!
http://www.odeon.co.uk/limitless/
https://www.cineworld.co.uk/unlimited

Cheers!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 04:40:54 PM »
I'm not really a big film person but while I maternity leave, I try to go to the Baby Picture each week.  Thursday mornings at 10am with my 200 closest friends and their babies!  £5.  We all pack into the theater and watch that week's pick.  It's good to feel like a grown up.

We do a movie on Friday nights after the kiddos are in bed.  My husband loves films.  He SO falls asleep 10 minutes in though.  He's such an old man....   :-\\\\

Tonight we are going to watch the opening ceremony from the Olympics though.  A fellow American expat in my area's brother is skating the 500m long track speed skate race on the 19th.  :)

• Liked: 958
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 05:52:48 PM »
I'm not really a big film person but while I maternity leave, I try to go to the Baby Picture each week.  Thursday mornings at 10am with my 200 closest friends and their babies!  £5.  We all pack into the theater and watch that week's pick.  It's good to feel like a grown up.

We do a movie on Friday nights after the kiddos are in bed.  My husband loves films.  He SO falls asleep 10 minutes in though.  He's such an old man....   :-\\\\

Tonight we are going to watch the opening ceremony from the Olympics though.  A fellow American expat in my area's brother is skating the 500m long track speed skate race on the 19th.  :)
The captain of the US ice hockey team is from my home town and friends with a few family members. If you don't have a TV is there a way to stream it?

I enjoy movies but I'm not a film buff. My husband loves watching movie reviews & horrible less than B class movies. It's somewhat amusing but not my thing. He's also impossible to watch Sci fi with because he can't help but point out all the inaccuracies.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 9
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 11:08:50 PM »
So I'm a bit of a film addict. More than a bit. I tend to go to the cinema once or twice per week and watch a movie at home basically every day. I work in the industry so I justify it as "research"

Are you using letterboxd?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Online Application Paid and Submitted: 16th Dec 2017
Bio-metrics Appointment: 19th Dec
Supporting Documents Shipped: 20th Dec
Documents Received (as per UPS tracking no.) in Sheffield: 22nd Dec
Processing has begun E-Mail: 9th Jan 2018
Decision Made E-Mail: 19th Feb 2018 (30 Business Days)
Documents Returned: 21st Feb 2018 (Approved)

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 08:24:54 PM »
I used to be more into films a few years ago and would go to the cinema every week, but these days I’m lucky to go more than a handful of times a year.

It is SO much better than it used to be. We actually get films released the same week as in the US, or within a few weeks.

Back in the 90s and early 00s you would sometimes have to wait months and months after films came out in the US to get them in the UK. The bigger movies were released about 2-3 months later but some of the smaller ones would be even longer.

I used to love visiting my aunt in the US as a teen because it meant I knew about all these movies no one had heard of in the UK yet and could see films a few months before my friends :).

My husband has moaned at length about how bad it used to be! From what I gather, Disney and Pixar are still waaaaay far behind but the rest are getting better? I need it lol.

Spouse Visa (Priority)

FLR(m):

ILR (Priority):

Citizenship:

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 08:25:30 PM »
You’d get on well with my husband, he also worked in the business in LA and loves film!  ;D
Maybe you even know each other, ha! ;D

Haha that would be so funny!!!

Spouse Visa (Priority)

FLR(m):

ILR (Priority):

Citizenship:

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 08:27:36 PM »
I used to go to the movies a lot, but that was back in the states.

It was for the experience of seeing a movie for the first time on the big screen with some terrible popcorn with theatre butter with awesome company.

Without the really good friends, "good" popcorn and a husband who can't always make it to the movies... I'm lucky to go a few times a year. I do watch a lot of movies on Netflix and Prime but that's long after they've already come out.

You should look into the year passes if you haven't already. You would probably get a TON out of them!
http://www.odeon.co.uk/limitless/
https://www.cineworld.co.uk/unlimited

Cheers!

All my American friends complain about the popcorn but I love the salty version here! I never got butter on my popcorn in the states and will likely be told by a doctor eventually that I need to stay off the salt....but until then....

Yes 100% getting the Odeon pass. I can get snobby with cinemas so I do go to indie cinemas too but on Mondays and Wednesdays it’s half off!

Spouse Visa (Priority)

FLR(m):

ILR (Priority):

Citizenship:

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 08:28:38 PM »
Are you using letterboxd?

I am not! I had to look it up tbh. I use IMDB and a handwritten log (super old school). I just signed up to letterboxd tho to try it out - thank you!

Spouse Visa (Priority)

FLR(m):

ILR (Priority):

Citizenship:

• Liked: 9
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 08:36:31 PM »
I am not! I had to look it up tbh. I use IMDB and a handwritten log (super old school). I just signed up to letterboxd tho to try it out - thank you!

It's an incredible resource for film lovers. Enjoy.

Online Application Paid and Submitted: 16th Dec 2017
Bio-metrics Appointment: 19th Dec
Supporting Documents Shipped: 20th Dec
Documents Received (as per UPS tracking no.) in Sheffield: 22nd Dec
Processing has begun E-Mail: 9th Jan 2018
Decision Made E-Mail: 19th Feb 2018 (30 Business Days)
Documents Returned: 21st Feb 2018 (Approved)

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 10:05:02 PM »
All my American friends complain about the popcorn but I love the salty version here! I never got butter on my popcorn in the states and will likely be told by a doctor eventually that I need to stay off the salt....but until then....

Yes 100% getting the Odeon pass. I can get snobby with cinemas so I do go to indie cinemas too but on Mondays and Wednesdays it’s half off!

You mean the sweet and salty? I don't mind "kettle corn" every once in awhile, but I don't want it at the movies! Haha.

I'd rather make it myself (air popped) and put real butter and salt on it. So much better.

The sea salt kind from Poshcorn and the one that starts with an M are nice.

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 10:10:35 PM »
My husband has moaned at length about how bad it used to be! From what I gather, Disney and Pixar are still waaaaay far behind but the rest are getting better? I need it lol.

I'm a total Disnerd and see every one in theatres. Well, other than the live action Beauty and the Beast. Just... No. I can't. It's my favourite. And I couldn't make it past the opening song.

Moana was out a little over a week of it being out in the states.

November 23 US
December 2 UK

Not bad at all.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 09:40:38 AM »
Late to this thread but my husband and I do love films...we just don't get to see them as much as we'd like. And they're just so pricey now to go see a movie !

Although I do really want to go see Black Panther.....so might try to get my husband to go tomorrow night or something :) We do really enjoy films it just seems we don't get much time to watch them like we used to...but are always willing to participate in film chat :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab