Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US: Chemical based "marijuana" is legal in the US  (Read 2338 times)

• Liked: 0
US: Chemical based "marijuana" is legal in the US
« on: February 19, 2010, 02:31:01 PM »
It is a good thing we made the natural stuff illegal, need to make a market for the chemical sprayed crap!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35444158/ns/health-addictions

There may be nothing like the real thing, but some industrious marijuana users have seized on an obscure but easily accessible substance that mimics the drug's effects on the brain —creating a popular trade in legal dope that has stymied law enforcement authorities.

The users are buying a product known as K2 — or "Spice," Genie" and "Zohai" — that is commonly sold in headshops as incense. Produced in China and Korea, the mixture of herbs and spices is sprayed with a synthetic compound chemically similar to THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana. Users roll it up in joints or inhale it from pipes, just like the real thing.

Though banned in most of Europe, K2's key ingredients are not regulated in the United States — a gap that has prompted lawmakers in Missouri and Kansas to consider new legislation.

"This isn't Jerry Garcia's marijuana," said state Rep. Jeff Roorda, a Democrat from the eastern Missouri town of Barnhart. "They've used chemicals to avoid creating something that's already illegal."

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
Re: US: Chemical based "marijuana" is legal in the US
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 04:15:31 PM »
It's really sad. I mean, honestly, marijuana is just a plant. Why shouldn't they just legalise it and stop the madness? As you said, if they did, then there wouldn't be a need for a chemically based subsitute. Not to mention that alcohol is legal and is far more damaging and addictive than cannabis and causes more problems (drunk driving accidents, etc.) I just don't understand what the problem with it is. And it's proven to have strong medicinal qualities. When my father was dying of cancer, he had to score cannabis illegally so he could use it as a substitute for the morphine he was prescribed, which made him vomit. The cannabis improved his very meagre appetite, helped him sleep, and eased his pain whereas the morphine not only surpressed his appetite, but prevented him from keeping any food down and just made him feel worse. I'm sure the government could make money with cannabis as a controlled substance like tobacco and alcohol, rather than spending so much money fighting against it.

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 05:12:45 PM »
I agree, unfortunately we can't even get universal health care passed, let along declassifying an illegal drug but we can always hope, the trend is moving in the right direction :-)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 01:57:35 PM »
I'd much rather have my tax money spent on paying for universal healthcare than on prosecuting people for smoking pot.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 02:09:36 PM »
I'd much rather have my tax money spent on paying for universal healthcare than on prosecuting people for smoking pot.

Legalise cannabis, impose a tax on it and use that to help pay for healthcare!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 02:47:54 PM »
I agree, unfortunately we can't even get universal health care passed, let along declassifying an illegal drug but we can always hope, the trend is moving in the right direction :-)

California has a money incentive which I'm sure places the legalization of marijuana higher on the list of priorities. ;)
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

• York Interweb
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 08:49:43 PM »

That makes sense. Therefore, it won't happen.

• Jewlz

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 09:05:25 AM »
That makes sense. Therefore, it won't happen.

;D So true.

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 12:40:46 PM »

This just made my idealism kick in.  As the ladies said, if only we lived in a world where logic and politics could get together.   ;)

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 04:27:09 PM »
I don't agree that cannabis is "harmless", and I smoked it from 1967 to to 2006. I am so glad I stopped.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 04:44:55 PM »
I don't agree that cannabis is "harmless", and I smoked it from 1967 to to 2006. I am so glad I stopped.

I hope you don't mind me asking for elaboration. Not at all to be argumentative, just my curiosity.
09/29/09--Visa Approved!

• York Interweb
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 05:26:35 PM »

Cars aren't harmless. Beer isn't harmless. Sugar isn't harmless. Knives and forks aren't harmless.

That doesn't mean the government has the right to prevent people from using them, as long as they aren't hurting others.

Some people don't react well to cannabis. That doesn't mean that nobody should ever use it (particularly people who benefit from it for medical reasons).

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 05:28:23 PM by sweetpeach »

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 06:21:06 PM »
Cars aren't harmless. Beer isn't harmless. Sugar isn't harmless. Knives and forks aren't harmless.

That doesn't mean the government has the right to prevent people from using them, as long as they aren't hurting others.

Some people don't react well to cannabis. That doesn't mean that nobody should ever use it (particularly people who benefit from it for medical reasons).

What is the 'general' vibe you get in the UK about medical marijuana? I was surprised when I learned that marijuana wasn't legal for medical purposes.
09/29/09--Visa Approved!

• Jewlz

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 03:59:16 PM »

Agree. I, too, am glad I quit smoking pot a few years back because I have more energy and I feel better overall, but that doesn't mean I disagree with anyone else smoking it. I honestly believe it is good for some people, and as it is (well, not always, but it should be) a natural substance, it is better for people than many other prescription drugs.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 04:13:09 PM »
Cars aren't harmless. Beer isn't harmless. Sugar isn't harmless. Knives and forks aren't harmless.  That doesn't mean the government has the right to prevent people from using them, as long as they aren't hurting others.

Amen, sister! 

Sponsored Links