Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: FLR(O) General Visitor Category  (Read 721 times)

• Liked: 0
FLR(O) General Visitor Category
« on: December 20, 2008, 12:26:48 AM »
I did a search but didn't find anything similar, so I thought I'd ask a (probably rather dumb) question.
I just looked at the form flr(o), Further Leave to Remain Other Categories, and they have a General Visitor category listed. Does that mean that you can only apply to extend your stay as a general visitor if you're already on a general visitor's visa? Or could I extend my leave as a general visitor even though I'm currently on an IGS visa? (Obviously I wouldn't be able to work, but it would be a sight easier than having to fly back to the US first!)

-Anne
If we called them Sad Meals, no one would buy them.

• Liked: 2
Re: FLR(O) General Visitor Category
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 02:12:22 AM »
2.1.3 Leave to Remain
The requirements to be met by a person seeking to remain in the United Kingdom as a general visitor are set out in Paragraph 44 of HC 395 as amended by HC1113.
where
Quote from: 44
(iii) has, or was last granted, entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain as a general visitor or as a child visitor.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 02:40:40 AM »
However, US passport holders may to go to France, or other Schengen countries, and then travel to the UK as a visitor.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 02:47:06 AM »
You may be able to extend your visa if you are too ill to fly, have a funeral to attend, or other compassionate grounds. 

Vicky

• My blog!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 08:05:14 AM »
And if you don't have a damn good reason, then travelling to another Schengen country or applying to extend beyond a period of 6 months within any 12 month period as a visitor will likely fail.  While not a rule set in stone, most, if not all IOs follow that guidance these days and will bounce you in a heartbeat.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 01:40:23 PM »
Curses! Foiled again!

I guess that means leaving the UK for a month or two and then coming back in the country for a few months to 'top up' my cohabiting time with my boyfriend wouldn't work, since it says '6 months in any 12 month period' and I've lived here two years.

Thanks for the input.

• Banned

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 01:44:20 PM »
Yeah, it could work.  You weren't here as a visitor before remember, so that won't apply.

Vicky

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 02:19:36 PM »
Oh reallllly? *shifty eyes* Interesting. Very interesting.

Man the UK immigration rules system is a veritable labyrinth! (I wonder if David Bowie will show up at any point?) ;)

Sponsored Links