Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Wii anyone?  (Read 11280 times)

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
Re: Wii anyone?
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2011, 05:46:22 PM »
We have a machete and a bayonet (real ones). I use them to get things that have fallen into tight spaces and gotten stuck.

They'll come in handy when the zombies come for you!  :)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2011, 08:11:50 PM »
Well it really does what it says on the tin - I am knackered!  We spent Fri, Sat & Sun doing quite a bit a gaming between us, and I did about an hour on the Wii Fit today.

So far we love it!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

I need my bed though...  [smiley=sleeping2.gif]

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2011, 10:38:01 PM »
Well it really does what it says on the tin - I am knackered!  We spent Fri, Sat & Sun doing quite a bit a gaming between us, and I did about an hour on the Wii Fit today.

So far we love it!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

I need my bed though...  [smiley=sleeping2.gif]

Mrs R, what exactly did you buy (equipment, games, etc). I told my mother about it and she's intrigued but we need to seriously look at prices and might even see if we can get it used or via ebay.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2011, 10:07:59 AM »
I bought the Wii console bundled together with Wii Sports/Sports Resort & Just Dance 2 - that came with one remote control, one nunchuk & the motion sensor.  Then I bought the Wii Fit Plus & its Balance Board separately.  (I still need to get at least one additional remote control - maybe get 3 more for if/when we have friends over & want to play Wii or something.  Some games let you trade off the single remote, taking turns, but some if you're going to play each other - you'd need more than one remote.  Probably best to see how you're going to use it really - if you just want it mostly for Wii Fit Plus, you only need one remote & one nunchuk for that, I think.)

(Also, to make the setup more interesting (to get more buy in & participation from) for DH, (so far) I picked up a couple of additional games - Rabbids & Resident Evil 4.)

You might find a better deal if you get the Wii console bundled together with the Wii Fit Plus & its Balance Board, and get the Wii Sports/Sports Resort as a separate game.  Depends on what offers are going over there really.  I recommend all of those - and definitely get the 'Plus' (Wii Fit Plus) if you can because there's a lot of extra games & more variety, etc with it.

I am rubbish at the games (Rabbids & Resident Evil) - anything that requires me to aim & shoot & run & do too many things at once - I just don't have the coordination for that.  But DH is enjoying those things & we have a good laugh together when I try to do them.  :P  (I never much played video games when I was a kid, whereas - typical boy & also being a bit younger than me, DH was into that stuff.)

All the same I am enjoying exploring the different games & features of the Wii Fit Plus, and Sports/Sports Resort.  I can't do all of it - rhythmic boxing?  Forget about it!  Too much going on at once with feet moving & punching in a certain order, etc - lol!  Yoga?  Well there may be some I can do - but I was trying that 'make like a tree' one last night, where you balance on one leg with your hands up over your head...trying to hold that would have been more like 'what is the sound of a tree being felled?'.  ;)  Also, it said that with my weight & my (lack of) balance/coordination, my physical age is 8 years older than I am - however, I think I flubbed the balance assessment because I didn't understand what the machine wanted me to do...so may try that again & see if I come out any better the second time round.  (not understanding what it wants me to do & having DH explain it to me is a running theme so far - lol!)

The things I like the most so far are the simplest, silliest (probably the most juvenile) games, but I'm having a laugh & it's getting me up and moving (behind closed curtains  :-[ :)).  Better than sitting on the sofa, inert, huh?  I like the variety & if I can't do one thing, then there's plenty of others to go on & try.  I haven't even done the Just Dance 2 one yet, because we've been trying out one new thing a day.  I think the Wii is something I'll look forward to doing on days when I get home from work - which is what I wanted really.  I still want to mix up its exercise with other activities - our weekend rambling, weekday walking outside, maybe a Pilates class, other things...

I really feel it in my arms & shoulders, and down my sides - my legs not so much, but my legs are pretty muscular already from the rambling that we do.  Strange combination of feeling more energetic yet weary from exercise at the same time.  I think I might give it a rest today though.  :P

(I suppose you could get a similar workout from doing extra vigorous housework - but that's no fun at all!)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:58:44 AM by Mrs Robinson »

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2011, 03:38:49 AM »
Thanks for that. Between both boys having birthdays in the next 2 months and Mom's and my need to exercise, this seems like a no-brainer. We'll see. :)
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• This is me. Love it or love it.
    • Twitter
  • Liked: 0
EA Sports Active 2
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2011, 06:11:31 PM »
My husband and I bought the EA Sports Active 2 Wii game a month ago and it's excellent. We started out with the 3 week program and we love it. It keeps all of your stats and you don't need the balance board for it. And the workouts change every day so it doesn't get boring. My fave part of it is that its all circuit training so when you're doing weights you're still sweating and then you do your cardio, then go back to weights so you get a chance to recover. I recommend it for anyone who is serious about workouts. Totally worth it. ;-)
There are two kinds of people.  People who say what they want, and people who DO what they want. Which one will you be?

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2011, 06:54:05 PM »
I've just been informed that, not only does the kiddo have a Wii upstairs in his cupboard, but it is also equipped with the Wii Fit kit.  I don't know how I never knew this (well, I do, he only ever uses the Playstation which is in the living room  :P) , but I think I'm going to start using it!
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2011, 09:11:38 AM »
I've just been informed that, not only does the kiddo have a Wii upstairs in his cupboard, but it is also equipped with the Wii Fit kit.  I don't know how I never knew this (well, I do, he only ever uses the Playstation which is in the living room  :P) , but I think I'm going to start using it!

WOOHOO! Do it!

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2011, 09:18:18 AM »
WOOHOO! Do it!

Just about to go get it.  I'll let you know how it goes!  ;D
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2011, 11:56:47 AM »
Sweet sassy molassy am I out of shape.  My Wii fit age is about 10 years older than me!  :P  I was pretty good at the yoga, and enjoyed it, but the muscle exercises killed me, especially the press-ups.  Well, I just can't even do a press-up!  :P Just means I'll have to do more of those I guess.  I really liked it though, and I look forward to doing more of it.

The dog was a bit out of sorts about the whole thing.  I guess he didn't understand why I was doing something other than vacuuming, hanging the washing, or sitting on the couch, since that's what he's used to.  ;)

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2011, 10:19:19 PM »
Are y'all still Wii-ing along too?  :)

TBH, we left it a bit after our initial craze...well the weather got warm & we've been outside more, doing other stuff, and I was demotivated otherwise for awhile.  DH still loves shooting those Spanish zombies on Resident Evil 4 though - lol!  So about a week or so ago, DH-I-don't-care-about-getting-a-Wii-why-do-we-need-that (blah blah blah - back when I wanted to get it for the Wii Fit, which he had zero interest in) saw that I wasn't feeling the love (for the Wii) & said he wanted to be more supportive of me, so suggested that we Wii Fit together if that would help me for us to play it together.  My sweet darling.

Anyway, so we started playing Wii Fit this weekend together - well he is doing only a little bit & I am doing most of the time on it, which I suspect was his aim - but it's nice that he's finally taken an interest & it's helped spur me on.  It's good to have his help too, because truly I don't always understand what it's telling me to do or what the point of something is supposed to be & then I end up being crap at a game (and get frustrated & discouraged) because I'm not understanding it.  Also it helped this weekend, as we didn't get a long training walk in because the weather was a bit crap outside.

My Wii fit age is about 10 years older than me! 

I don't really believe that or the weight on it!  Today, it told me I'd lost 3 pounds in a single day - uh, don't think so.  I think maybe I had my fleece on yesterday & I didn't have it on today, but I don't think it weighs 3 pounds.

Also, yesterday my Wii Fit age was 51.  Today, I was only 35.  ::)

I mean I'll take the 35 years thing  :), but that's a ridiculous change in only one day.

« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2011, 11:01:34 PM »
I Love the Wii Fit but like you Mrs R, I don't believe the weight bit either I just use it as rough guide for the most part. ;) If I believed it I would go mental like I used to.  [smiley=mad.gif] Dh got to the point where he said if I didn't stop believing everything it said he said was going to sell it cause it wasn't worth the hassle it was causing me.  ::)  :P

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2011, 05:00:07 AM »
After over a year of not doing my wii fit- I started back a bit more than a week ago. I am back in the swing of it and enjoy it. I also find the weight unreliable-- apparently I lost 8 lbs in one day..and then suddenly gained 6 lbs the next day..etc. I have found if I have the balance board on my area rug, which is a bit shaggy, it is even more unreliable.

I mostly do the step plus, running and the bicycling. I found at home bargain a set of small hand dumbells which are designed for the wii. You click the wii mote and and numchuck into them. I thought for 5.99 they are worth a try since most my exercise focuses on my lower body, I thought it is worth trying to increase my arm exercises. Only used them once so far, but I like them.

« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2011, 09:54:31 AM »
I know it helps if you have a flat surface to weigh yourself on I weigh myself in the living room but our carpet isn't bulky or fluffy. I have even tried putting a mat on the carpet then putting the balance board on it an that didn't make any bit of difference either. ::)  :P I didn't  know they did weights for the Wii Fit I might have to check that out. ;)  :) I like doing the boxing, the snowball fight, the downhill slalom, balancing on the bubble, the penguin slide, & the obstacle course that's 1 of my favorites. ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 09:56:08 AM by shugga »

« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2011, 10:37:11 AM »
...but our carpet isn't bulky or fluffy.

Neither is ours.  I'll just use the Wii Fit 'Body Test' thing as a rough guide & keep weighing myself on our regular scales.

I was enjoying that obstacle course the last couple of days & I got through to the end (finally) on the Beginner setting - lol!  It's totally dorky but I also like Rhythm Parade (the drum majorette one).  :P

Surprisingly, because I didn't expect to, I was enjoying trying out some of the yoga poses yesterday as well, but there's not a lot that I am able to do there.  Anything that involves balancing on one leg for any length of time is soooo not going to happen - lol!  Neither is anything that puts any stress on my small, injury-prone wrists, so a lot of yoga stuff is out for me.  I don't think the yoga feature is that great (and possibly not entirely well advised), however, because really it can't see if you're achieving a good form, or breathing properly, the way a RL yoga instructor would be able to help you.  Like DH was doing that bend over to the side one that stretches your waist & rather than bending straight over to his side, he was sort of bending forward & to the side - and it told him he had great posture & was doing fantastic!  ::)

Sponsored Links