Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visiting USA for Thanksgiving - exception to unauthorised absence?  (Read 3405 times)

• Liked: 107
Visiting USA for Thanksgiving - exception to unauthorised absence?
« on: September 21, 2022, 08:13:59 AM »
Hi all,

My wife has more vacation days than she realised this year and I said why don't you visit the US for Thanksgiving (we always visit in summer for obvious reasons). She'd like to take our eldest daughter who is in Year 1. I'm wondering if anybody has ever managed to convince a headteacher that it's a national holiday for an American and if an exception can be granted for leave? Naturally it'll be 5 days off as nobody is travelling there and back for one day.

The unfortunate thing is, Thanksgiving will never fall during any natural time off school (i.e. half-term, end of term etc) so it will always be during school time. I think now is a nice age for her to learn about the occasion. Our headteacher seems to be pretty strict.
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 4990
Re: Visiting USA for Thanksgiving - exception to unauthorised absence?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 09:45:17 AM »
All you can do is ask.  It truly is down to the individual head teacher whether they refer you to the local authority or not.  It's best to have the response before you book flights. 

Have a look and see if your local authority usually fines or if they are known to skip the fine and go to court.

Sponsored Links