Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: LIST: Things you SHOULDN'T have brought with you  (Read 107321 times)

• Life is like a tire swing.
  • Liked: 0
Re: LIST: Things you SHOULDN'T have brought with you
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2008, 11:39:22 AM »
All the emotional baggage that I seem to carry around with me from time to time. And that you can wear in any weather!
MOMMA ALWAYS SAID:  "There an awful lot you can tell 'bout a person by their shoes" --- "Where they goin' , Where they been"
"I've worn lots of shoes"   Forrest Gump

"I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floatin' around accidental-like on a breeze. But I, I think maybe it's both."     Forrest Gump

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2008, 11:46:34 AM »
I did say that I knew people were going to disagree with me :)

I just, personally, don't really get the idea of needing a transition period. I did that on my visits to the UK before I moved over, when I started to get familiar with the food, found out where the local shops were, etc.

• Odd Duck
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2008, 11:54:21 AM »

I just, personally, don't really get the idea of needing a transition period. I did that on my visits to the UK before I moved over, when I started to get familiar with the food, found out where the local shops were, etc.
So you had your "transition period" before you actually moved. Not all of us have that luxury. I spent three days in the UK (for my job interview) before we moved over, and my husband had never been here.

I think of American foods that aren't available here as treats. Like my parents think of the biscuits that they take back with them.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2008, 12:12:36 PM »

So you had your "transition period" before you actually moved. Not all of us have that luxury. I spent three days in the UK (for my job interview) before we moved over, and my husband had never been here.

I think of American foods that aren't available here as treats. Like my parents think of the biscuits that they take back with them.

What Elynor said. For myself it took a long while for my transition period but thats just me though.  ;)  :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 12:14:30 PM by shugga »

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2008, 12:44:42 PM »
I spent a total of about 25 days in the UK before I moved here. In short bursts (e.g. long weekends) when I could get time off from work. So a lot of the time was spent travelling or recuperating from jet lag.

I agree that US food can be thought of as a treat because it's hard to come by - I bought Twizzlers back from a recent visit to share with the people in my office. But that's expected of people when they go on holiday anywhere.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 12:47:07 PM by sweetpeach »

« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2008, 12:59:52 PM »
The idea that immigrants should abandon their home culture's food is very strange to me. Because it is twizzlers or old bay spice or kraft macaroni and cheese doesn't make it any less important than the cultural food traditions that my grandparents brought to the US with them from Russia. Those may have been homemade, but it was what they knew...

Kraft Mac and Cheese is what I know.  :P I think I am over bringing a suitcase full of it back like I used to, but I will always have room for a couple boxes.

« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2008, 01:17:25 PM »
The idea that immigrants should abandon their home culture's food is very strange to me. Because it is twizzlers or old bay spice or kraft macaroni and cheese doesn't make it any less important than the cultural food traditions that my grandparents brought to the US with them from Russia. Those may have been homemade, but it was what they knew...

Kraft Mac and Cheese is what I know.  :P I think I am over bringing a suitcase full of it back like I used to, but I will always have room for a couple boxes.

But Kraft Mac and Cheese is gross!   ;)

• Liked: 12
« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2008, 01:18:17 PM »
I think what many people mean when they post about leaving the summer clothes, is that you don't need nearly as many as you do in most of the US.
Generally speaking, you can get away with fewer seasonal clothes in the UK.  You're probably not going to have much use for the shorts and sleeveless tops and probably won't need a huge down coat.  You need more of the spring/autumn type clothes that you can probably get away with all year round.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2008, 01:50:38 PM »
Great analogy Pamela!

In addition to some American 'junk' I love to have (oreos, cheetos, butterfinger) I also have recipes from my mother and other family members that make me feel very happy.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2008, 01:54:27 PM »

But Kraft Mac and Cheese is gross!   ;)

Are you crazy lol ;D  [smiley=mad.gif]  Kraft Mac & Cheese is food of the gods in my eyes at least.   ;D  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2008, 02:16:42 PM »

I'm on this side!!! The smell alone turns me off!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2008, 02:24:06 PM »

Does it smell like feet?  :D
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2008, 02:24:50 PM »

I agree, it is gross, I like it, but I know it is 'gross.' My point is though, that it was part of my childhood and became part of my food culture.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2008, 02:28:20 PM »
Does it smell like feet?  :D

Yes!!!!!!

I agree, it is gross, I like it, but I know it is 'gross.' My point is though, that it was part of my childhood and became part of my food culture.

Yes.  Kraft Blue Box mac 'n' cheese is quintisential american childhood food.  The blue box blues...   Its as american as peanut butter and jelly on wonder bread!!   :)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• UF College of Vet Med Class of 2010!!
« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2008, 03:43:38 PM »

I totally agree! I'm not planning on giving up Cuban food when I move - thats part of my culture and well its just plain delicious! I also might bring some grape jam with me, yes blackcurrant is nice and tastes vaguely like grape but there's just no comparison to Smuckers!
"Treat for the treatable" - Uncle Mikey's Maxim # 1

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab