Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spent a year studying abroad, now want to study a course there, where to begin?  (Read 1106 times)

• Liked: 0
I spent the last year studying abroad in england.
and I've also realized I'm not very fond of the career/degree i've chosen to study in the us, and I will be graduating with it in may of 2013. I would really like to switch my focus to a different degree and study for the full degree in england, and potentially at the school i was studying abroad at. I know from my english friends that the way to apply for schools is through UCAS, but the entire process seems overwhelming and confusing to me and I am worried that I may graduate and not have this sorted out in time. I really would like to study in england with the intentions of staying for the long-term and hopefully one day applying for citizenship. However, my major concerns now are where do i begin!?: the school I studied at was the University of Leicester and I read on their website that they have a course code for fafsa, and I was wondering if this meaans that I am able to apply to fafsa and use my student loans to cover my overseas schooling? I am just trying to figure out how you pay for the course, because I'm sure most people who go abroad to england to study do not have the money in their pocket. Also, how exactly does one go about applying on UCAS, I obviously have not taken any GCSEs or any A-levels, but I will be in possesion of a bachelors of science degree but in something not related to my new degree choice but UCAS in general is set-up for english students out of college and sixth form, not us students out of university or high school, and I've not really been educated or prepared for this application process how do i go about it? Also, after graduating how likely is it to find a job, and how likely is it i will be accepted to a school in england? I really want to go to school there with all my heart and stay there!

From anyone whos been in the situation I'm in now, I ask of you for as much advice as you can give to me to help me achieve my dreams of getting back to england!

• Liked: 1
Honestly? If you're only a year from graduation, you're better off finishing your degree in the US and then perhaps pursuing graduate school in the UK later.  UK unis rarely transfer in credits from US schools so you'd be starting all over, from scratch. Do you really want to spend another 3-4 years in undergrad, with the loans that go alone with it? Better finish undergrad in the US and then look forward to a UK master's in the field you ultimately want to pursue.

• Liked: 4
Yes, with only one year left, it doesn't make sense to change your major and transfer schools!

• I miss people no matter where I live
Hi stoth,

I've finished my bachelors in the UK and boy do I have a lot of debt to show for that. I'll probably be paying it back until I die so keep that in mind if you want to pursue a degree here and from scratch! I agree with aimlesstraveler, you should finish up the one year that you have left. It will go by incredibly fast.

If it has a fafsa code, then yes you can use loans to cover your tuition and living expenses. A lot of loan though goes a very short way if I'm being honest. This is my fourth year here and I've lived with mice, drug-addicted neighbours, near a brothel, near violent neighbours, and in rooms that were falling apart/molding, etc... We just can't afford better. The tuition is expensive, living is expensive, food costs a lot. I've been eating cheap crap for years now and have gained over 3 stone. All this has really taken a toll on my mental and physical health.

If you're applying for a masters in the future, you usually apply directly to the university rather than through UCAS. UCAS also has a lot of room for explanation and you won't be the first American applying with US qualifications so they'll understand what you mean when you fill out the 'other' sections.

Finding a job is hard for almost everyone right now. If you're trying to work on a student visa there are hourly restrictions. I believe you can only work 20 hours a week.

For your last question: It's not really all that hard to get into uni's here. Being an American means you pay international tuition which means they'd love to have you.

Met DH to be: 2004
Visited back and forth:2005-2008
Student visa: September 2008
Married: September 2009
Flr(m): July 2011
Finished my bachelors: May 2012
Finished MSc: august 2013
ILR approved: September 2013
Citizenship approval: August 2015
Passport received: November 2015
Citizenship journey is complete!

I want to add that if the OP is wanting to switch to an entirely different degree or even focus on something different, it will definitely mean starting over from scratch. UK degrees are not as flexible as in the US. To add to aimlesstraveler, UK unis will consider courses taken at US uni/college. I know a fellow UK-Yer who was able to take his US credits as start his UK degree as a second year student. However they have to be relevant to the degree. For example, courses for a US law degree isn't going to transfer over to a UK science degree.
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

I want to add that if the OP is wanting to switch to an entirely different degree or even focus on something different, it will definitely mean starting over from scratch. UK degrees are not as flexible as in the US. To add to aimlesstraveler, UK unis will consider courses taken at US uni/college. I know a fellow UK-Yer who was able to take his US credits as start his UK degree as a second year student. However they have to be relevant to the degree. For example, courses for a US law degree isn't going to transfer over to a UK science degree.

I'd like to comment on both Rynn and GibbyGabs post. First I am doing what Gibby did. I transferred to the UK to finish my bachelors. I am also going to be in the same situation, as in I will be paying this debt off for an extremely long time :(

To comment on Rynn's post, I am that student who was able to transfer my US credits to the UK and start in year 2. I was able to do this because most of the classes I took at the community college were based around my degree. I had enough major related credits to make it into the 2nd year at uni. I still found myself to be at a slight disadvantage though. I missed a lot of important stuff in the first year, however, it's possible. If you were to transfer from one degree to another..that wont work!!

I would finish your degree and then consider doing a graduate degree in the UK. It's really costly though! Rynn just finished her degree in the UK. Rynn also helped me big time when I was considering studying in the UK.

Also, getting a degree in the UK doesn't mean you will be able to get citizenship here.

They are really cracking down on that area.

Sponsored Links