Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Help, U.S. HS Diploma + some college credits, wanting to go to University  (Read 1158 times)

• Liked: 0
  I have sort of a complicated background. I recently became a British Citizen (born to British mother before 1982) and plan to move to Liverpool within the year. All of my education was done in the U.S. (High School Diploma, multiple college courses, etc). How in the world do I go about transferring that over so I can apply to University? Is NARIC used to evaluate transcripts, etc or is it just professional certifications/qualifications. I've looked on various University web sites and the either speak of International students or UK educated students. Since I fall somewhere in between nothing seems to apply. Help Please!

• Banned

• Writer, married, semi-employed, and sorta happy...
  • Liked: 4
Once you have an idea of what you might want to study, and where, make an appointment at that school, to talk to the head of that department, and bring copies of your official college transcripts - and if you can get it, a summary of what was covered in the classes, from the school website where you took them - but you might not even need that. Depending on what it is... Algebra is algebra.

They can help you from there!

They will tell you what is transferrable, or not!

“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Married 04/13/11, in NYC.
Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!
Arrived in the UK 05/20/11.
I took the stupid LIUK Test Oct. 2012.
We were granted ILR In Person in Croydon on 04/23/13.
Got BRP 2 days later, in mail box - it just appeared.

NEXT: The lil' red passpo

• Banned

You might be considered an international student, and have to pay higher international student fees, until you establish residency.

Not sure tho.

I'm positive someone on here with rapidly correct me if I am wrong. They always do!

I know that IS the case with a spouse visa, but not sure with your situation... I think it is 3 years after a spouse visa that we get non-international-student rates.

Oh, I wonder if that will now change with the new laws or not... ?! Might change to 5 years for new people on a spouse visa...

Anyway, be sure to ASK about fees at the school!
“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Algebra is algebra.

Yeah, but in the US, algebra is a required general education course.  UK universities don't do general ed, so unless he's planning on studying maths it's not going to transfer.  Guvnor, you'll definitely want to contact the university, but the two systems are really different so be prepared to have your US college credits not count for very much.

ETA: You will definitely be charged international student fees until you have been in the UK for three years. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

It probably doesn't help that I will be a "mature student" as well (38). Spent 10 years in the US Navy, 12 years as a Paramedic, Certified Nursing Assistant and Phlebotomist. Unfortunately the Paramedic won't transfer, but I believe the CNA is the equiv of a Health Care Assistant.
  I believe you are right in that I will not qualify for Home rates, it's unfortunate considering I'm now a citizen, but such is life. As long as the repayment plan will be the same, then it should be ok.

• Banned

I think, because you are not a home student, if you take out loans, your loans for school must come from America - because they do not loan money for school to non-residents in the UK.

So, you would be on the USA loan repayment system. Not the UK one!

At least, that is what I was told.

I have 2 classes left for my Phd... No loans for me here at the moment (not here 3 years yet and they do not loan money for anything over a B.A. here - it needs to be an actual bank loan, not a student loan?!). Also, I must pay international rates, and, here, half the classes do not carry over... Sucks!

I will eventually have to just take them online from my old university in the States (cannot afford that right now), or if I decided (insanely?) to start all over here... I would have to redo almost the whole major!

Best bet, ask at the school.

Thanks! I've sent an email off to Liverpool John Moores University to ask the important questions. It still seems odd that as a British Citizen, who lives and works in the UK, would have to turn to the country that I left behind.

• Banned

Agreed.

But, according to someone in administration at a school who I spoke with (dunno if it is true), too many people came here for just a few years, took out tonnes of loans, went to school here, got the diploma... and left, and never paid the money back!

So, they changed the system.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Even British citizens born in the UK lose home tuition if they leave the UK. My nephew was born in Devon but has lived in Madagascar for the last 6 years. His parents cannot afford for him to return to England for uni, which is a real shame as I suspect the Malagasy higher ed system will not compare to what he could get in the UK and he is very bright.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

Thanks for all the replies! It seems I may have to come up with my own funding for the Nursing program :( Now that the funding question has sort of been answered (though I wonder if there is a waiver available :) ), what about my Diploma and college credits? I asked LJMU in an email and they never answered the question. I guess if I have to wait 3 years, I'll at least have plenty of time to get A levels out of the way, LOL!!

• Banned

The program I looked into told me we are not able to get waivers till we are here for 3 years.

It might be different with other programs... I don't know.

Most emails I sent to universities went totally unanswered - I had to make an appointment with the head of the department for the program I was interested in, and talk to them in person.

To their credit, LJMU were very prompt in answering the financial question, only a day and a half! Much faster than any of the U.S. colleges I've had dealings with. Thanks to everyones' answers, I now know the "why" behind the financial aspect of things. I've been searching for private sources of funding (loans), but it doesn't seem as popular a thing in the UK as it is in the U.S. I saw where SallieMae once had a UK loan scheme, but sadly, no longer. Also, most sources of loans are based on my income (low) and/or time in the country (even lower). Gutted :(

• Banned

Yeah... I had the same outcome.
I tried different paths... and hit walls.
It sucks.

Sponsored Links