Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What food are you craving right now?  (Read 152181 times)

• Liked: 958
Re: What food are you craving right now?
« Reply #1650 on: April 10, 2018, 03:19:45 PM »
Omg. You guys are making me miss my wheat eating days.

Dibella's in Rochester/WNY, and later bought out (sorta) by Wegmans and expanded through the sub shop there. Their meatball sub was SO good, and their Italian sub sauce for their version of an Italian sub was the best ever. Wegmans bought their recipes for everything including the bread, and bottled the sauce for sale. Nom. If you're ever in a place with wegmans go visit their sub shop, you won't be disappointed.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #1651 on: April 10, 2018, 04:03:09 PM »
Omg. You guys are making me miss my wheat eating days.

Dibella's in Rochester/WNY, and later bought out (sorta) by Wegmans and expanded through the sub shop there. Their meatball sub was SO good, and their Italian sub sauce for their version of an Italian sub was the best ever. Wegmans bought their recipes for everything including the bread, and bottled the sauce for sale. Nom. If you're ever in a place with wegmans go visit their sub shop, you won't be disappointed.

They put a Wegmans in MA 2-ish or so years ago. I love their beer section and their international section is amazing too.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #1652 on: April 10, 2018, 04:12:04 PM »
They put a Wegmans in MA 2-ish or so years ago. I love their beer section and their international section is amazing too.
I miss Wegmans more than I can put into words. I had one place where I could buy literally everything I need even with all my allergies, from food to shampoo. Because they led the way with big organic sections other local supermarkets followed suit but were never as good. They had organic farms of their own so their produce and meat was still somewhat reasonably priced. I am getting used to needing to shop online far too many places, but it doesn't stop me from missing them and their sushi bar (which is entirely gluten free! They made it so there were no wheat ingredients anywhere on it so no risk of cross contamination.)

• Liked: 677
« Reply #1653 on: April 11, 2018, 11:25:39 AM »
Don't remember if I posted this anywhere or not, but Vitacost.com has Bob's fine almond flour on at like $8 a pound bag. Even with shipping, this is waaaay cheaper than buying almond flour in the UK.  This stuff makes lovely cakes.

« Reply #1654 on: April 11, 2018, 11:35:58 AM »
Don't remember if I posted this anywhere or not, but Vitacost.com has Bob's fine almond flour on at like $8 a pound bag. Even with shipping, this is waaaay cheaper than buying almond flour in the UK.  This stuff makes lovely cakes.
Yeah, I made quite a few cakes and breading for fish/chicken with that. Good stuff :) A lot of my bloggers preferred Honeyville or nuts.com brand because its more finely ground though, and I'm not sure of the cost for ordering here.

I bought some coconut and cassava flour on Amazon with pretty good reviews to try. I've read cassava is almost a 1:1 sub for wheat flour so I'm excited to try it. Maybe my husband will get a pie when more fruit is in season! (I still haven't ever made a meat based pie, but I suppose I should learn that too over here.)

« Reply #1655 on: April 11, 2018, 12:06:42 PM »
Bobs has three almond flour grinds that I know of - the usual, fine, and super fine.  I've just ordered four of the $8 "super fine", although I usually go with the normal grind as I like the texture it gives baked goods. For my purposes, I go with whatever is cheapest at the time, unless it's a "special occasion" bake that requires extra care.

The Vitacost website is kind of a nightmare, but if you subscribe they do send a lot of discount codes.  My latest offer was $20 off a $50 order, which pretty much paid for the shipping. And their stock does change - the Daughter spotted some Manischewitz products this week, which is something we hadn't seen there before. And Stubbs BBQ sauce (mesquite).

Shipping to the UK is variable - there's the "prepay customs cheap option" which eventually is delivered by Yodel,  another one that's slightly cheaper but where you pay the VAT when it arrives (not sure why one would want to do it, as then you also get the 8-pound handling charge tacked on as well), and an expedited FedEx shipping option.   I tend to go the cheap route and it's usually here within 10 days:

"Flat Rate of $11.99 up to 3.6lbs, $1.80 per pound thereafter; Full tracking available
20% VAT on orders over $25 USD collected at checkout, no additional fees at time of delivery"

You can get a heck of a lot of Stash tea and good quality spices into 3.6 pounds of box. (And they also have some nice brands of makeup, too.) And then, there's the Vietnamese Chili and Garlic Sauce.  I used the last of a bottle yesterday and today I have (having not put enough onions and cumin in the crock pot) a very passable facsimile of Taco Bell enchirito sauce.  (I have sooo been wanting a proper enchirito, and TB does not sell them here.)

« Reply #1656 on: April 11, 2018, 01:39:05 PM »
(I still haven't ever made a meat based pie, but I suppose I should learn that too over here.)

Oh, yeah, when it's cold and rainy a nice chicken pot pie is to die for.  ;D

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #1657 on: April 11, 2018, 01:40:28 PM »

Could not agree more. My husband isn't a massive fan so I usually have to just get a small one for myself.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #1658 on: April 11, 2018, 02:07:22 PM »
Those I actually have made! But I usually cheat and just make the filling

I think I need to check where I can order Simply Organic gravy mixes. I don't know what the difference is but I seem to be allergic to yeast extracts here but not the ones in the US. I'm not skilled at making beef or chicken gravy on my own. (But got the arrowroot for making sauces in general, it works well in place of corn starch!)

Now... I am craving cinnamon rolls. So if I can find a GF quick yeast that works I will be finding out if my husband likes them.

« Reply #1659 on: April 11, 2018, 02:23:45 PM »
At the risk of sounding like a salesperson for Vitacost, they have that line, and looks like beef gravy for $1.29.  And now I will shut up about VC.  ;D

https://www.vitacost.com/simply-organic-1

« Reply #1660 on: April 11, 2018, 02:44:48 PM »
Haha amazing. I know where some of my next paycheck is going!

« Reply #1661 on: April 11, 2018, 03:02:13 PM »
Reminder to get on their email list first. They send too many emails, but some do contain some really impressive discount.  ;)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #1662 on: April 12, 2018, 10:46:37 AM »
Poutine,please. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #1663 on: April 12, 2018, 12:43:33 PM »
Poutine,please.
️... I miss Smoke's in Toronto.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #1664 on: April 23, 2018, 09:36:54 AM »
It's not a food, but I was craving a nice salty margarita yesterday. Alas, no such thing appeared. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links