Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: A bank account solution for US expats  (Read 317 times)

• Liked: 46
A bank account solution for US expats
« on: March 07, 2024, 07:05:34 PM »
If you need a US bank account geared towards US citizen expats American Citizens Abroad and the State Department Federal Credit Union have got together to offer an account that can be opened from outside the USA, provides inexpensive international transfers through Wise, and says it give easy online access from overseas. This could be a very useful tool at a time when some US banks and brokerages are making it difficult for their expatriate customers,

https://www.americansabroad.org/sdfcu-account/

• Liked: 0
Re: A bank account solution for US expats
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2024, 07:33:51 PM »
That link doesn't work.  :(

I'm looking for a US bank that I can open a checking account (while we're still in the US) that I'll be able to use in the UK. I saw that Chase and Citi have options and seem to have locations in the UK - anyone have any experience with either of those? The HSBC option is cost prohibitive for me with their large fees.

Our current bank in the US seems to have issues whenever we try to make online or international purchases, so we're ready to drop them and move to someone we can use once we move. We want a real bank, not a Wise account.(We already have Barclay's accounts, so don't need a UK-only bank)

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
May 2005 - Moved to UK on Fiancee Visa
July 2005 - Married UKC
Sep 2005 - Received LLR
July 2006 - Moved to US
May 2024 - Received UK Spousal Visa Entry Clearance

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2024, 11:11:56 PM »
That link doesn't work.  :(

Try: newcomer link: https://www.americansabroad.org/sdfcu [nonactive]

Wife and myself opened a joint account (checking+savings) with minimal fuss, although we are still in the USA. Be prepared to be redirected to some funky URLs with names like app.loanspq.com and zixmail etc during the verification process. Apparently no credit check as we have ours volunaterily frozen at all 3 credit bureaus. SDFCU web interface looks decent.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 11:25:59 PM by PG »

• Liked: 725
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2024, 08:33:36 AM »
My daughter moved back from the USA 18 months ago. Her Chase US account works just fine from the UK and she easily opened a Chase UK account within days of arriving in England. She stayed with us initially and opened her account online. No need to prove UK address with a utility bill or anything.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links