Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Which UK banks allow USC?  (Read 2901 times)

• Liked: 10
Which UK banks allow USC?
« on: July 01, 2023, 12:29:22 PM »
I started to open a NatWest savings account, but it asked me if I paid tax in another country, which gave me pause. I didn't want to have NatWest close our current account (which we've had since before we moved to the US and then back again.)

Does NatWest allow USC? What about other banks or building societies? What are peoples' experiances?

• Liked: 735
Re: Which UK banks allow USC?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 02:41:26 PM »
I started to open a NatWest savings account, but it asked me if I paid tax in another country, which gave me pause. I didn't want to have NatWest close our current account (which we've had since before we moved to the US and then back again.)

Does NatWest allow USC? What about other banks or building societies? What are peoples' experiances?

They almost certainly do allow USCs, I think all the major UK banks do. They have to ask, and when you reply that you pay tax in the USA you will be asked to complete a form that provides them with your SSN as they have to report your account details to the IRS. There are many other Intergovernmental Agreements with other countries where banks share information on accounts to counter global money laundering and tax evasion schemes.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 46
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 04:53:16 PM »
Some building societies will not allow U.S. Persons... When I was looking for a savings account, a few of the better know institutions would not allow, whereas some smaller and little known would. From a current account perspective I think all the major banks will allow U.S. Persons ok as there is no income to report.

• Liked: 28
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2023, 02:44:13 PM »
I had a mortgage with NatWest for a while as a US citizen, they had zero issue with it, but didn't have a bank account.

Other banks (or bank-like institutions) I've dealt with and had no issues include Nationwide, Monzo, Starling, Paragon, Barclays, Halifax and Wise.

The only bank that's turned me down was Zopa.

Investment companies is where the list gets an awful lot shorter. Hargreaves Lansdown, Interactive Brokers, and some types of accounts at A.J. Bell is pretty much the whole list (outside workplace pensions, where I don't think they get a lot of choice).

• Liked: 60
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 02:53:32 PM »

Investment companies is where the list gets an awful lot shorter. Hargreaves Lansdown, Interactive Brokers, and some types of accounts at A.J. Bell is pretty much the whole list (outside workplace pensions, where I don't think they get a lot of choice).

Oh so true - I've shopped my SIPP around - most recently when Fidelity decided they didn't like me anymore (even though they are a US institution) and blocked my account. I'm now with IWeb (part of Lloyds Bank) - administered by AJ Bell and really low fees - clunky trading, but I can live with that. It all takes research and depends on indiviudal circumstances and requirements.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2024, 11:49:11 AM »
I have run into this issue. iWeb explicitly say no:
"Not be a US citizen or taxpayer."
https://www.iweb-sharedealing.co.uk/our-accounts/self-invested-personal-pension.html

According to this:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investing_from_the_UK_for_US_citizens_and_US_permanent_residents#Brokerage_options
I think H&L or AJ Bell are the only options for a SIPP, would be great to add to the list though if people know any others.

• Liked: 14
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2024, 12:36:13 PM »

My wife, who is on a spousal visa has opened a Nationwide Basic current account without any issues and also a savings account with them.

• Liked: 150
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2024, 02:44:51 PM »
I've been prevented from having my name on a few bank accounts. I think Sainsbury, Marcus, Investec all stopped me. No trouble with Yorkshire Building Society though....we have plenty in that account. House purchase coming up in a couple of months.....just moving down the street.
Fred

• Liked: 735
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2024, 03:10:44 PM »
I've been prevented from having my name on a few bank accounts. I think Sainsbury, Marcus, Investec all stopped me. No trouble with Yorkshire Building Society though....we have plenty in that account. House purchase coming up in a couple of months.....just moving down the street.

Congratulations on your house purchase. Good luck with the move.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 150
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2024, 03:36:13 PM »
We're idiots. We have a perfectly nice 3 bed detached in a nice location. Butt-head neighbour though....hasn't talked to us in 6 years? We can only guess why he is mad at us. Moving into a bigger 4 bed detached with a double-double garage (a double with another the same size on the back....beam down the middle). It's a mess and needs a lot of work. We are doing it backwards....upsizing at our age. Selling our current house to my wife's middle son at a tiny discount. Moving about 200yds down the road....so still can annoy the neighbour off and on  ;D
Fred

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab