Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: SS Spousal and survivor benefits  (Read 449 times)

• Liked: 734
SS Spousal and survivor benefits
« on: August 22, 2024, 03:17:01 PM »
Prompted by another thread I decided to ask for advice and/or experience of couples getting SS while living in the UK.

https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?action=post;quote=1328605;topic=101340.0;last_msg=1328605

Question
I (UKC) have only 6 quarters but my wife (USC) is already drawing $911 a month. I should get half her amount at age 67.
Do I get his even though we are both living in the UK?

As a follow-up question, my wife has been receiving SS for a couple of years now.  When I apply for my SS early later this year, to start in February, 2025, my wife should get a boost to her SS as my SS will be more than double hers. Will that happen automatically or will she have to make separate application through the FBU/SSA?

When one of us dies the survivor should get the higher of the payments.  Does this happen automatically when the survivor sends a copy of the death certificate to the FBU and/or IRS?  I assume that the IRS will need to be notified in addition to the SSA since the 2 departments probably don't work together.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 1
Re: SS Spousal and survivor benefits
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2024, 07:09:27 PM »

As a follow-up question, my wife has been receiving SS for a couple of years now.  When I apply for my SS early later this year, to start in February, 2025, my wife should get a boost to her SS as my SS will be more than double hers. Will that happen automatically or will she have to make separate application through the FBU/SSA?

When one of us dies the survivor should get the higher of the payments.  Does this happen automatically when the survivor sends a copy of the death certificate to the FBU and/or IRS?  I assume that the IRS will need to be notified in addition to the SSA since the 2 departments probably don't work together.
[/quote]

Not sure on the survivor question, but of my friends (in the US not UK), most have needed to apply separately for spousal benefits. Occasionally, it gets granted automatically, but I think that's if they happen to visit an office and it crops up in conversation so the office also applies for spousal benefits.

• Liked: 734
Re: SS Spousal and survivor benefits
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2024, 10:07:51 PM »
Not sure on the survivor question, but of my friends (in the US not UK), most have needed to apply separately for spousal benefits. Occasionally, it gets granted automatically, but I think that's if they happen to visit an office and it crops up in conversation so the office also applies for spousal benefits.

Thanks for this, good to know.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab